P1000 How to Monstaliner plastic!

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
1. Remove plastic, all plastic is easy to remove other than the front area that's a little bit of a bugger.

2. Clean plastic but don't use any chemicals, no super silicone slippery spray if you use that forget it it paint wont stick and it will be hard to get out. don't use solvents at all. Get a pressure washer and blast it clean then use something like this Glass Cleaner | Sprayway Inc., Pioneers in Aerosols since 1947 you can get it a Lowes and other places its more or less alcohol based glass cleaner

3. Either do it the hard way or the easy way. The first time I did my atv I sanded by hand. get some varying grits and sand and keep sanding until it has a rough texture everywhere OR easy way find some one with a blast booth and blast that thing with a medium grit lightly.

4. Now power wash it thoroughly, once again make sure all the dirt and grit is gone from the sand paper/ blast booth.

5. Nope don't paint yet! Now its time to play with fire!!! yep i know it sound crazy. What you wanna do is get a small hand held torch and some rubbing alcohol. Light up the torch and fan the flame over the plastic until you get a small shiny area. turn torch off quicking grab spray bottle of alcohol and clean area well. What this does in theory is releases the chemicals that have previously been on plastic such as the chemical that allows the plastic to pop out of molds at factory. Watch this mustachiod man do it.

6. Power wash again, now your at an impass, I performed above twice although I think it was probably unnecessary. Either way make sure its dry and washed well try to do the back side of the plastic as well.

7. My theory is that if you paint the whole door all the way around it encapsulates the door so small areas are much harder to flake off.

8. Choose your favorite color of monstaliner there are many.

9. Now you gotta choose you gonna roll on or spray on? I have traditionally sprayed it with schultz gun from monstaliner but rolling will give you a more aggressive texture. Either way go to monstaliner website they have good directions on how to spray and how to roll.

10. Now your ready to paint, buy some bulldog adhesion promoter (It comes in aresol as well) and spray down the plastic with 2 light coats and then start mixing your monsta. I did add the ahesion promoter to my monstaliner as well. I will have to look up what parts I mixed as no one had used it like that before but it does serve as a flex additive as well.

11. Depending on how you do it if you roll, look at instructions on website, light coat first then recoate and pull the roller slowly this is what forms the texture the second pass. If your spraying just go light coats until you have several down (Warning it comes out fast). Then after that let it cure, I generally let it cure for a week but not necessity i don't think.

12. one cool thing is if you chip it off you can always get a small repair kit for like 15.00 and paint the spots that have come off. I can tell you if you rub rocks it will come off but I don't know what wouldn't.

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would you recommend using new plastics vs old beat up ones full of ground in dirt?

Reactions: sharp and JTW
Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Would you recommend using new plastics vs old beat up ones full of ground in dirt?

Probably depends on how bad the plastics are but if you prep and sand/blast and use a power washer I imagine you would be able to get most of it out.

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

Probably depends on how bad the plastics are but if you prep and sand/blast and use a power washer I imagine you would be able to get most of it out.
I would think that they may even do better than new plastics... clean them good and the rough stuff will give them a little extra to adhere to.

Reactions: sharp
Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I would think that they may even do better than new plastics... clean them good and the rough stuff will give them a little extra to adhere to.
Good point

Reactions: sharp and JTW
D

Dchilds75080

May 8, 2019
Richardson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Anyone have long term experience with the monstaliner on their rig and/or some pictures?

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
That would be me, It has never faded or peeled. The only thing that typically has made it scrape of the sides is flipping on rocks and scraping down them, which I have some experience at. Can be repaired for 20-40 dollars typically with small touch up kit they sell online.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Here’s a few pics of mine and here’s a few pictures of hazards after some one pulled out in front of their tow truck at 70 and flipped several times

7A931632 0D1B 4945 B4AF 01727B48013D 9045FB4F F99A 4A59 8758 E97EFA88F01A 57DF6C2D 1012 4E84 BBC8 6FF6E2CDECE8 E364274A 1799 4516 B184 B91B89AD94E3 9079E797 58A0 4A6B 9660 A8224F71CF3D 4450D10E 16CA 4F47 9185 8BCB0CB9D9D6

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!