P1000 Tools To Tear Down

R

rubber_duck13

Nov 26, 2023
Eastern Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi,

New to the forum. I bought a 2016 P1000M5 for cheap of an auction. It was flooded. Finally got to tearing it apart. There was definitely water in the oil and one of the valves was still holding water, etc. My thoughts were to tear down the motor completely to give it a good cleaning as I don't know what was done to it before. The engine will NOT turn over. I was able to loosen the flywheel bolt without holding the flywheel, however, I think this is mainly due to the pistons being a bit rusted in the cylinders. I was going to try to get something to loosen that up today. I don't think it was ever ran after it was flooded, which in my view is good, but still alot of water in it.

Questions I have as I do this:
  1. For those that have torn it completely down, are there any Honda Specialty tools that you needed outside of normal shop tools? If so which, so I can get them coming.
    1. Specifically I think I may need to rotor puller (07733-0020001) and something whatever is needed to rebuild the head.
  2. Where do you take the casing and head to get machined, cleaned and inspected? A dealer or a machine shop? I think I am going to have to have my cylinders at least honed well to clean them up.
I have the engine mostly torn down and hope to finish today and start ordering parts. I am thinking about replacing most of the bearings in it then just cleaning the rust of the iron components that rusted and reassembling.

Any other tips for a complete engine teardown from those that have done it?

Here are pics of some of the components that have rust.

IMG 20231126 074051161

IMG 20231126 074058505 HDR

IMG 20231126 074108885 HDR

IMG 20231126 074139983 HDR

IMG 20231126 074209057 HDR

IMG 20231126 074214469 HDR

IMG 20231126 074219782 HDR

IMG 20231126 074235047

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
good luck in the rebuild - awesome.

for 2\4 stroke mc engines - I just sent the cylinders out to a reputable shop (KOR, Millennium, LA Sleeve, etc.) and had sleeved\nickasiled\resleeved whatever - some dealers can do it by my experience is they are slow and expensive for the same freaking service or they just send it out and charge you a mark up for doing nothing - so research a little

case halves for that thing are $1800 new and may be a an option as well depending on how deep that corrosion has pitted the cylinder to be cleaned up - I am guessing piston to cylinder clearance is .003-.004" (001"/1" piston diameter )

atf\marvel mystery oil and patience will be your friend for the piston removal - lol, good luck

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Michigan.
Where is central US?🤔 its quite large.
We like to know your state please fix.

Yeah, what @DRZRon1 said is very good tips.
We also recommend using the search up top. That will give u Alot of answers cuz there have been a few tear down motor threads in the many yrs the forum has been around. You also have the ever so elusive 16’ model. Lots of recalls and campaign's from Honda on those. I have one. The clutch update is huge one. You can search that as well. Best time to Identify if its been done is when your in there like you are. Let us know if has.
You can take the ven to the dealer to see if and what has been done as well.

When u get some time, when the rig is back togeather or before the tear down, post up some pics of the rig. We like those thanks.

R

rubber_duck13

Nov 26, 2023
Eastern Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Updated location (Nebraska). I have read a bunch about them, specifically the clutch cover, I'll be looking into that. Main concern now is to get it torn down so I can have it inspected. I did hook up the battery to see if the display worked, which it did, showed between 500 and 600 miles (which I could not believe for a 2016, our farm has over 13k on an '18). Attached a couple pics from the auction, I forgot to take any before I tore into it (I filled up the tires to bring it home in sept, they have held, so at least has good rubber).

57767993 Image 1

57767993 Image 4

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hi,

New to the forum. I bought a 2016 P1000M5 for cheap of an auction. It was flooded. Finally got to tearing it apart. There was definitely water in the oil and one of the valves was still holding water, etc. My thoughts were to tear down the motor completely to give it a good cleaning as I don't know what was done to it before. The engine will NOT turn over. I was able to loosen the flywheel bolt without holding the flywheel, however, I think this is mainly due to the pistons being a bit rusted in the cylinders. I was going to try to get something to loosen that up today. I don't think it was ever ran after it was flooded, which in my view is good, but still alot of water in it.

Questions I have as I do this:
  1. For those that have torn it completely down, are there any Honda Specialty tools that you needed outside of normal shop tools? If so which, so I can get them coming.
    1. Specifically I think I may need to rotor puller (07733-0020001) and something whatever is needed to rebuild the head.
  2. Where do you take the casing and head to get machined, cleaned and inspected? A dealer or a machine shop? I think I am going to have to have my cylinders at least honed well to clean them up.
I have the engine mostly torn down and hope to finish today and start ordering parts. I am thinking about replacing most of the bearings in it then just cleaning the rust of the iron components that rusted and reassembling.

Any other tips for a complete engine teardown from those that have done it?

Here are pics of some of the components that have rust.

View attachment 410296
View attachment 410297
View attachment 410298
View attachment 410299
View attachment 410300
View attachment 410301

View attachment 410302

View attachment 410303
U get pistons out by chance?

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!