sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking into getting a lithium battery as my second battery.

One of the companies I am talking with has asked at full throttle, what is the maximum amp/watt draw from the battery.

Does anyone know?

Reactions: Biteme
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking into getting a lithium battery as my second battery.

One of the companies I am talking with has asked at full throttle, what is the maximum amp/watt draw from the battery.

Does anyone know?
Unless you are looking into the extremes of weight saving (aka high end racing) I wouldn't bother. Go with the gel and save the money.

J

JTW

Unless you are looking into the extremes of weight saving (aka high end racing) I wouldn't bother. Go with the gel and save the money.
I agree... not worth it for this use. And if you’re using it as your second battery. Full throttle should have nothing to do with it. It’s the auxiliary battery and therefore potentially isolated from any draw at full throttle or could have a winch drawing on it with throttle off. So that’s really irrelevant.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would use 2 batteries that are the same size and brand. Why confuse the charging system?

• Haha
Reactions: Biteme and ChadD
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have been running 2 lithium batteries for 3 years. The best part is that with a little cutting of plastic ribs in battery box (no loss of integrity) two lithiums fit where one acid battery used to fit. I have only used my winch twice. Both times had no loss of power, but I am in the desert, pulling over spots I didn't want to be in the rig incase it toppled backwards. (yes nearly vertical for one tight spot). I have a remote wire type controller. The single OEM battery failed testing the winch, pulling on flat ground with Hillbilly brake on. That's why I went high amp lithium. Happy I did, no regrets.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I've saw 2 different drag racers loose there enclosed trailers & 4 cars while hauling them and another guys car burn down in his shop in the last couple weeks. Everything is pointing back to the lithium battery's they were using. I ran a Shorai in my bike and it died in 6 months. They warrantied it and the new one was dead in 6 months. They can be very finicky when charging and don't seem to fare well if discharged too much.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Lithium batteries become very unstable if discharged too low and are very picky about how they want to be charged.
We run RC cars and trucks some of them are 8s and having more than 60 batteries from 2s to 8s and seeing how they behave and charge there is no way I would run one in anything I would put my family in.
Lipos and water if the protective barrier is compromised in any way is waiting to cause issues.
To those that run them good luck and enjoy as for me no thank you.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been running 2 lithium batteries for 3 years. The best part is that with a little cutting of plastic ribs in battery box (no loss of integrity) two lithiums fit where one acid battery used to fit. I have only used my winch twice. Both times had no loss of power, but I am in the desert, pulling over spots I didn't want to be in the rig incase it toppled backwards. (yes nearly vertical for one tight spot). I have a remote wire type controller. The single OEM battery failed testing the winch, pulling on flat ground with Hillbilly brake on. That's why I went high amp lithium. Happy I did, no regrets.

Which brand and model are you using?

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lithium batteries become very unstable if discharged too low and are very picky about how they want to be charged.
We run RC cars and trucks some of them are 8s and having more than 60 batteries from 2s to 8s and seeing how they behave and charge there is no way I would run one in anything I would put my family in.
Lipos and water if the protective barrier is compromised in any way is waiting to cause issues.
To those that run them good luck and enjoy as for me no thank you.

This makes no sense to me. RVers are switching to lithium and the RV community is all agog with them. Using solar panels and 6 or 8 or more lithium batteries and running microwaves and AC and washer and dryers. Not all at the same time, obviously, but you get the point. It might be the charge controller and might end up being more than I'm willing to go through, but it's worth the looks.

On a side note, my Superwinch remote will actuate even when the machine is off. I've noticed this several times and I believe this is a big contributor to me needing my 3rd battery, 2nd battery, in 4 yrs. Both AGM. First was Odyssey PC 925 and 2nd was Wal-mart.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a recommendation for a Dakota lithium ion battery at 54 amp Hrs. The Odyssey is only 28. Lithium batteries tolerate a much lower discharge as well as 8-12 times the charge cycles.

You do need a charger that is another $170. The battery is $499.

It is a huge upfront cost and would be better when machine was first purchased as opposed to a 4 yo machine. But, having more power and less worry when I'm buying my 3rd battery very well may be worth it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Biteme and JTW
Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
This makes no sense to me. RVers are switching to lithium and the RV community is all agog with them. Using solar panels and 6 or 8 or more lithium batteries and running microwaves and AC and washer and dryers. Not all at the same time, obviously, but you get the point. It might be the charge controller and might end up being more than I'm willing to go through, but it's worth the looks.

On a side note, my Superwinch remote will actuate even when the machine is off. I've noticed this several times and I believe this is a big contributor to me needing my 3rd battery, 2nd battery, in 4 yrs. Both AGM. First was Odyssey PC 925 and 2nd was Wal-mart.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Having lost two RC cars that were worth each approx 1k I can assure that I have seen mine with 3 others catch fire mid run and 3 of the total of 5 were right after a water crossing.
Lipo batteries and water do not mix at all.
In the RC hobby there are actually fireproof bags people buy to charge them because they are known to let go mid charge.
Are the RC batteries and the auto, rv batteries different I am certain they are but with the vibration, water and general abuse a battery can take I won't risk it.
And at an initial investment of 600 to 700 dollars I can go through a whole bunch of AGM batteries.
The other issue to consider is that lipo batteries do not like to be discharged below 3.0 volts before damage occurs and then there is the continued need to trickle charge them to keep the voltage between 3.0 to 4.0 volts per cell.
A 12.8 volt RV lipo battery will be 4 3.2 volt cells to make a 12.8 volt battery and I do know that in the RC world they require a balance board and balance charger so the battery will charge evenly.
We are approaching this from totally opposite sides, you see cost over time vs. Initial investment and I couldn't care less of those concerns I just see the safety side when I am powering an 8hp electric RC truck and know the issues I along with a group of friends have seen or had.
I am by no means saying you are wrong or shouldn't if it is what you want I am just pointing out how I see things and why I wouldn't.
Once again I wish you the best and hopefully I am wrong on all accounts and you pass me on the trail.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

An RV charging system is a completely diferent demon than a SXS or a vehicle. Solar is as well. Couldnt be more polar opsites like my 2 blacks labs from the same litter.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, three years and no fires, failures, or calamities. Guess I am just lucky. Batteries cost $110 each and charger $35. I charge it in the toyhauler where it lives in the winter. As neither of them has spontaneous combustion, I must be doing something right.

Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well, three years and no fires, failures, or calamities. Guess I am just lucky. Batteries cost $110 each and charger $35. I charge it in the toyhauler where it lives in the winter. As neither of them has spontaneous combustion, I must be doing something right.
And that is a good thing, glad it is working for ya.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!