Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Has anyone used a lithium battery in their Pioneer?
I'm loving the lithium ion batteries in all my cordless tools. It just seems to follow that car batteries (or small lead acid motorcycle batteries) could be replaced with lithium.

IMG 4531

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Interesting, This is something I had not considered. They would be considerably lighter than lead acid or AGM, but the drawbacks I can think of straight away are the cold, and sensitivity to voltage inconsistencies. I will have to look into this more.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm loving the lithium ion batteries in all my cordless tools. It just seems to follow that car batteries (or small lead acid motorcycle batteries) could be replaced with lithium.

View attachment 31973

We were using the Shorai for a while in all the dirtbike's and they worked really well if you were constantly using them. If they sat very long they'd be dead and much harder to change especially if they go too low they don't come back. Tools have a discharge point where they don't allow further usage beyond a set voltage is why they come back from "dead" so well.
In colder temps they really didn't seem to hold charge well and in general don't appreciate cold temps as the life is more numbered then lead and especially agm. In a dirt bike the weight savings is worth it is the reason we still continue in a couple. So personally I'm a little mixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and Ems-Cam
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 31973
If you try one, wouldn't recommend the Samsung brand. HA

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We were using the Shorai for a while in all the dirtbike's and they worked really well if you were constantly using them. If they sat very long they'd be dead and much harder to change especially if they go too low they don't come back. Tools have a discharge point where they don't allow further usage beyond a set voltage is why they come back from "dead" so well.
In colder temps they really didn't seem to hold charge well and in general don't appreciate cold temps as the life is more numbered then lead and especially agm. In a dirt bike the weight savings is worth it is the reason we still continue in a couple. So personally I'm a little mixed.

What kind of dirt bikes you have?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda all the way now! 250x and 230f (both big bored built) 230f, 150f, 110f, 50f.
Iv'e got a XR 250 96 and a CR 250 94 set up for the woods, thats why I got the Pioneer, if I want to haul buns, I get on one of the dirt bikes. The pioneer is no slouch though.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Honda all the way now! 250x and 230f (both big bored built) 230f, 150f, 110f, 50f.
Hey how do you like the 230crf I heard they are bullet proof.my youngest has a crf 50 and I just bought this tonight it's a crf 70 for my daughter,I raced for years and don't want a 450 and the 250s are ok but the 230 is priced right.

IMG 0789

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Got a shorai lithium in my Ducati. Really not that impressed over the regular battery that was in it. You can kill them under or overcharging. Cranking with the battery cold hurts them to. Was told to turn on the headlights for a minute in the cold to get some heat in the battery. They are extremely light. One of the best small batteries I used was a braille in my drag car. It is an AGM.

Reactions: JTW and joeymt33
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The 230 is the most bullet proof bike out there period. My wife's has 12k+ on it with only brakes tires and fork seals. It's very good and many people have learned on it. We bought a second just for friends and family and it gets beat. I love my bike but I'll ride the 230 happily it loves the woods and will always get you home. The 150 is also a really good bike. These are both end of world reliability. My ONLY issue is electric start only that bugs me and I don't mess around anymore we just buy new batteries every spring but at 12$ eBay not a biggie.
15k on my bored over 250x so it's not bad but has had some more work. Valves are titanium as you know but easy to fix by stainless steel. A Rekluse clutch made it awesome to follow kids.
Wanna ride a real bike, swing your leg over my CR 250, got too many after market part to list, but it;'s killer.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey how do you like the 230crf I heard they are bullet proof.my youngest has a crf 50 and I just bought this tonight it's a crf 70 for my daughter,I raced for years and don't want a 450 and the 250s are ok but the 230 is priced right.

View attachment 31986
Moved topic we were getting off bad.
Dirt bikes.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I talked to two lithium battery manufacturers and neither of them would warranty a battery for SXS use after I told them what I would do with it. I told them it would get occasional deep cycle use powering a winch and sometimes it would deep cycle with the the lights and radio on. They didn't like it at all. I told them I was ready to buy if they would keep their warranty but they denied my business.

I even told them that lithium can withstand deep cycles in power tools and high drain applications, why can't their's. I couldn't get a straight answer.

Right now my two lead acid batteries work flawlessly. The only negative is the weight.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I talked to two lithium battery manufacturers and neither of them would warranty a battery for SXS use after I told them what I would do with it. I told them it would get occasional deep cycle use powering a winch and sometimes it would deep cycle with the the lights and radio on. They didn't like it at all. I told them I was ready to buy if they would keep their warranty but they denied my business.

I even told them that lithium can withstand deep cycles in power tools and high drain applications, why can't their's. I couldn't get a straight answer.

Right now my two lead acid batteries work flawlessly. The only negative is the weight.
Possibly a Lith for start but like you said not high drain.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just wanted to throw that information out there so somebody doesn't buy one of those expensive batteries and wind up disappointed. I'm sure glad I researched before buying.

Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Old thread I know. But my buddy has a lith. For his secondary battery and loves it. He said it is 2x the odyssey battery was. He does run amp. And sub also. It is a very loud system. The only thing is I don't know how he has it hooked up. Talking to him I know he does not have a smart battery isolater.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Old thread I know. But my buddy has a lith. For his secondary battery and loves it. He said it is 2x the odyssey battery was. He does run amp. And sub also. It is a very loud system. The only thing is I don't know how he has it hooked up. Talking to him I know he does not have a smart battery isolater.

Then it's probably hooked up in line with start battery and never runs low and doesn't use it while not running because if he did it wouldn't start. Lithium can charge very quickly but they really don't take a long discharge say while key is off or winching heavy. Lithium isn't something you'll see in motorhomes as a house battery for that reason. There are some positives as well but imo it would make a better start battery

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!