P500 Location of 2nd battery

R

rheaslip

Sep 18, 2020
Canada
Related to my first post, I was originally thinking to place the 2nd battery under the front hood. But I believe the isolator needs to be close to the starter battery, so I think under the seat may be a better spot.
What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Related to my first post, I was originally thinking to place the 2nd battery under the front hood. But I believe the isolator needs to be close to the starter battery, so I think under the seat may be a better spot.
What do you think?

Under the seat would also help with the center of gravity. That would keep the the under hood space for power steering and a Choog box.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I have mine under the hood ,wired through a battery disconnect on the dash and then to the winch contact .Very simple and short wires.I can put it in line when I want.I leave it on most times while running,to keep it charged,turn it off while winching so I'll have starting power if things go bad.I used a battery just like the stock one in the rear.

Reactions: Mudder
R

rheaslip

Sep 18, 2020
Canada
[mention]nctrailboss [/mention] thanks for sharing. Did you use an isolator and if you did, where did you place it? I read it should be close to the starter battery but I saw a YouTube of someone putting it in the front, under the hood. Not sure if placement of isolator affects charging between both batteries maybe?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Made sense to me too.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Under the seat would also help with the center of gravity. That would keep the the under hood space for power steering and a Choog box.
I still have room for the Choog box and P.S.

Reactions: Mudder
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
[mention]nctrailboss [/mention] thanks for sharing. Did you use an isolator and if you did, where did you place it? I read it should be close to the starter battery but I saw a YouTube of someone putting it in the front, under the hood. Not sure if placement of isolator affects charging between both batteries maybe?

No isolator,just a battery disconnect mounted on the dash. DSC01236DSC01237

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudder and rheaslip
R

rheaslip

Sep 18, 2020
Canada
Made sense to me too.

Your prior thread, what an interesting read. I think you caught me up on weeks of independent research and time in my own head thinking about this.

I have to break this project down into 2 jobs. First, placement. You have helped me with that. Second wiring. I found an informative link on isolators VS separators. Based on your experience, and knowing I have a 15 year old using it too (with all the accessory toys), My #1 goal is the factory Honda. 2nd is using the accessories. I’m still thinking thru this one. Thanks again for sharing your experience

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Bet @Hondasxs could help explain things as well. Saw his products in the Club Store.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
2nd.yellow top Optima under driver seat.
Battery isolator with disconnect on 2nd battery only.
All add on accessories connected 2nd Battery are fuesd using a isolated junction block.
If you put a disconnect on the isolator GROUND prevents discharge of both batteries when setting for long periods
Add a battery charge plug connector to the Main battery side ( Start Battery )of Isolator.
To charge both batteries TURN ON BOTH DISCONNECTS the main battery will charge 1st.then 2nd Battery.
The added down low weight helps
2nd. Battery
UHM Skid & Arm guards
4x3 offset wheels 27 "" ITP XTR Tires

20200725 123331

Reactions: Mudwing
advertisement
R

rheaslip

Sep 18, 2020
Canada
Thanks again for all the help on the dual battery. I have my 2nd battery under the seat, true isolator, accessory fuse box and noco charger. The true and fuse box sit in a converted kayak battery case. Using a Crossroads 3D panel to house the volt meter, USB, front and rear rocker, audio and winch. At some point, a breather to take some pics to share!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!