Long term tire feedback?

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
I'm trying to decide between the Tusk Terrabite and the ITP Blackwater Evos. I have found a lot of posts from when guys are in the first 300 miles, but I'm more interested in how either have held up in the long run. I just don't feel like spending $600+ every year on tires. I put over 1000 miles on per year and need a good long term tire. We run everything from WV trails to mud to working in the yard and lots of paved and gravel roads.

Sent from my phone while sitting with my feet up on night shift

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I'm trying to decide between the Tusk Terrabite and the ITP Blackwater Evos. I have found a lot of posts from when guys are in the first 300 miles, but I'm more interested in how either have held up in the long run. I just don't feel like spending $600+ every year on tires. I put over 1000 miles on per year and need a good long term tire. We run everything from WV trails to mud to working in the yard and lots of paved and gravel roads.

I just took a chance on terrabites. My 700-4 should be here sometime this week and I wanted to put tires on right away. Ended up ordering terrabites because :

I had blackwater's in the past. Probably still my favorite tire that will do just about anything. But I had them on my 1000-5 with turf mode so they showed minimal signs of wear. BUT, I had them on my Yamaha Viking without turf mode and the rears wore rather quickly.

I ride a mix of just about everything except for deep mud. And yes, that does include some road and hardpack. On the 700, as much as I wanted to put the blackwaters on, I figured I'd have the same luck with the locked rear.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I can tell you the Roctane XD tire will last you 3000 miles in the type of riding you described. They are an 8 ply DOT radial. They are a good all around tire that really performs well in rocks, does pretty well in muddy conditions. I ride in East TN mountains similar to WV.

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
The problem with the Rocktane's is that I want to go to 27's and already have ITP 12" rims. Currently have Bighorns and after 1200 miles they are pretty beat up. We are going to WV in 3 weeks and want to have new rubber.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can tell you the Roctane XD tire will last you 3000 miles in the type of riding you described. They are an 8 ply DOT radial. They are a good all around tire that really performs well in rocks, does pretty well in muddy conditions. I ride in East TN mountains similar to WV.
The Roctane XD is one of three tires on my radar.. the other two are the Terrabite, and the MotoClaw. I have the MotoHammers off my Viking (1000 miles) and they have very little wear. I figure with turf mode, they'll wear even better. I picked the MotoHammers because the Viking was a locked rear & didn't want to tear the crap out of my pasture. Now that I have turf.. I'd like to go to something more aggressive.

One of our parts guys has a set of Terrabites on his RZR900 trail. He's racking up the miles pretty quickly, and so far seems to be very pleased with them.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The problem with the Rocktane's is that I want to go to 27's and already have ITP 12" rims. Currently have Bighorns and after 1200 miles they are pretty beat up. We are going to WV in 3 weeks and want to have new rubber.

The 26x11x12 Roctane XD is actually 26.5" in height. When shopping for tires by size make sure of actual height. The 27" tires that are OEM on the P1K are only 25.5" tall at 14 psi. Don't get hung up on marketing sizes over actual size.

J

JTW

The terribites are great for 90% of stuff.. but there have been a couple times I wished they were more aggressive. I can’t comment on the roctanes comparatively but for me it would depend on what most of the terrain will be. More blacktop and hard pack or mud and aggressive trails.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
I have two different sets one set is Zillas for when go to mud park the other set is a truck tire for road and hard pack you can get in some mud

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
So I hate to do this but I just stumbled across another tire option, the Tusk Triolbite HD-8. It had a pattern similar to the Bighorns but is an 8 ply and can get 26x10x12 so I can run the same tire on all 4 corners. Anyone try these?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Hate to do this to you, but you might want to look at the Sedona Rip-Saw Rt's. I have 26's on 14" wheels. I've been running them for about 1600 miles on my P-500 in about the same terrain as you describe. I'm pretty confident they'll go 3000 miles at this point, and they have a far more aggressive tread than the Terrabites. They track very well on pavement, no noise,no vibration, but on the 14" wheels they are very stiff- ride rough. Apparently, the 26's on a 12" wheel ride much better. They work very well on the H/M terrain, and I've never punctured one. They seem (and have been rated) to be a really good all around, super durable tire, but apparently they don't do very well in sand.
Here's why I got the Rip Saws:

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Here's another vote for RipSaws. I am on my second set of RipSaws. My 700 had over 600 miles with no failures. So when I moved up to the 1000 I brought a set home with the new machine. 850 miles and no failures on this set either. I ride a lot of sharp rocks and am very happy with them.

Reactions: JWB and Deluxe700
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have RipSaws as well.. Really like them...No problems , No Failures... I have a P700-2. They work great in every terrain that I've been in. I have not been in deep mud, but for everything else, I'm very happy...
My vote is the RipSaws..

Reactions: JWB and Tramguage1
xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
We'll order placed, Terrabites. I will give full and honest reviews as I use them. Biggest test will be at Hatfield McCoy trails in 2 weeks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!