P1000m5 Looking for Key-On ONLY power

C

ckluzak

Feb 28, 2022
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am currently in the process of re-working some aftermarket wiring into my 2016 1000-5 Deluxe. I have a dual-voltage meter reading for both my main and aux. batteries and it is set with a relay to only turn on when power is available. I want to wire this so that the relay only kicks on when the key is in the on position. My question is, where should I tap into for the relay power? I was thinking maybe the headlight switch but wasn't sure if there was a better option available.

Reactions: Remington and ChadD
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am currently in the process of re-working some aftermarket wiring into my 2016 1000-5 Deluxe. I have a dual-voltage meter reading for both my main and aux. batteries and it is set with a relay to only turn on when power is available. I want to wire this so that the relay only kicks on when the key is in the on position. My question is, where should I tap into for the relay power? I was thinking maybe the headlight switch but wasn't sure if there was a better option available.
Check the Club Store here, most is plug and play.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What @Smitty335 said, the club store has what you need for that.

Welcome form Michigan!
I see you just joined monday and this is your first post. Congrats!
Our unwriten bible verse when u first post id pics of your machine.
so…Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Reactions: Smitty335
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3

Club store for sure. I bought a harness that turns the accessory plug on all the time and provides a key on connection at the same time. All plug and play.

C

ckluzak

Feb 28, 2022
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here she is, 2016 with about 1200 miles. Haven't done much to it or really driven it much since we just picked it up last week and I'm trying to keep it off the salty roads.
Resized 20220225 174044
Resized 20220225 183016

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I want to wire this so that the relay only kicks on when the key is in the on position. My question is, where should I tap into for the relay power?
One option: The aforementioned harness from the HondaSXS store. Plugs inline behind the 12v socket in the dash:

Another option: Use the correct sized fuse tap (aka add-a-circuit) and the appropriate rated fuses on the 15A ACC fuse in the OEM fuse box under the hood. It's the same fuse that the above harness would get its power from. See this post for a pic of which one.

You might also consider installing a DPDT switch so that you can choose, with the flip of the switch, if you want to energize the circuit only when the key is on OR even if they key is off. Best of both words.

If you're going to be running more accessories, lights, etc., you might want to do a quick search on the forums for two things: Installing a dual battery and isolator kit and/or installing a continuous use relay and multi-circuit fuse block where you hook up most/all your accessories. Here is a great video by forum member @RobSparre covering it all in great detail.

Welcome from MI.

Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just finished getting all my accessories on key-on power using the fuse tap as Scoop mentioned. Very easy and works. Welcome from Idaho! You will have a blast in the Pioneer.

Reactions: Scoop and Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!