Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
the 3 seat and 5 seat have the same outer dimensions.
If you’re talking overall machine width, sure I agree. But I was referring to the dump bed..

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
<$1000 more than the 3 seater right now. No brainer for re-sale IMO.

My only complaint about the 5 seat is how much mud sticks up under the bed in all the nooks and crevices. Working on a cheap fix for that currently....

And with that $1000 you get the eps, self leveling rear suspension, (both included on the base model 1000-5) and room for your kid when he gets too big to sit up front with you and the wife. Hell, room for another kid if you have one, or room for a friend of your kid in a few years. For the $1000 you get a machine that you & your family won’t likely outgrow too quickly.

77TOY

77TOY

Jan 19, 2019
America
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016, 1K5 deluxe, I have over 2K miles on it (1K miles per year) riding in Kodiak AK, it’s not a toy but tool to get to fishing and hunting grounds year round (but getting there is 1/2 the fun). I literally depend my life on it at times. It’s not as supple a suspension as say the Polaris but other than, oil/filter changes, tires and brake pads I have been required to do no work on it (except the mods I wanted and the recall work). I drive through so much water a belt driven transmission was out of the question. When wet they slip, slip gets hot, BAM! Now your stuck. I love my trail boat.

D

dh357

Jan 10, 2019
Osage, ok
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thank you guys for the replies. Im looking at the p1 and one other make/ model and both are basically the same in price. Been watching videos on both and really like each, one thing i like about the p1 over others is lever actuated 4wd. I guess now i start saving up $$.

Justinm1981

Justinm1981

Oct 6, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 1000-5, I did experience clutch issues at about 1500 miles but warranty replaced my clutches and I have not had any other issues at all. It now has 2200 miles and I ride it very hard. We are members at a 6400 acre ranch in Missouri and the place has some very rugged terrain. I love my pioneer and I will buy another down the road

Reactions: Montecresto
D

dh357

Jan 10, 2019
Osage, ok
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have a 2016 1000-5, I did experience clutch issues at about 1500 miles but warranty replaced my clutches and I have not had any other issues at all. It now has 2200 miles and I ride it very hard. We are members at a 6400 acre ranch in Missouri and the place has some very rugged terrain. I love my pioneer and I will buy another down the road

If you're talking about the Branson area, I know what you mean by rugged. We're in NE OK and go up there periodically. Like it allot up there.
Between research and localish dealer the #1 clutch pack was the problem child but once they fixed the issue from what I've found there isn't any more problems. That's what thing I like about Honda, they fix problems.

Reactions: TimG and Rambo
Justinm1981

Justinm1981

Oct 6, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you're talking about the Branson area, I know what you mean by rugged. We're in NE OK and go up there periodically. Like it allot up there.
Between research and localish dealer the #1 clutch pack was the problem child but once they fixed the issue from what I've found there isn't any more problems. That's what thing I like about Honda, they fix problems.
It’s about an hour south of Branson, in Caulfield. It’s about a 3 hour drive for us here in Arkansas but man it’s an aweosme place.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, I agree with everyone on here about the Honda as far as it being a good machine But, A few of us have had a serious issue with computer not turning on the fan at certain times causing unit to overheat and I still have not heard for sure if Honda has a fix for it, I have heard recently that they may have an update to ECM to possibly correct problem but have not heard anything to confirm, at least I have not, You can read all about it in over heating issues, mine is a 2017 , Hopefully Honda does have a fix , Best of luck,,,

Farmerjohn

Farmerjohn

Jan 12, 2018
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello. I'm new to the Pioneers but not really to Honda atvs. Currently I have an 05 Polaris Ranger 500 (free) that I would like to sell and get something different. Main use will be riding on the family land, going to the dam and hopefully my wife, 2yo son and I will be riding around the state. For now I'm only interested in the base model 3 seater due to cost, the turf/2wd/4wd/4wd diff lock, and to me it just looks a little better than the fancy model. Now to brass tacks. How well are they holding up? I've read here and there of trans/clutch issues mainly in the clutch pack no 1. I know its from slow driving, or pulling in high. I also saw a picture of a blown up motor. I know the internet makes a minor problem a huge thing really quick so I'm curious to know how they're doing from real world owners. Thanks.

I bought the a 2017 base model. No need for power steering or the paddle shifter for me. My wife and I ride along with my 8 year old. First time we took the bike out my daughter got a burn from the steam from underneath the steam. It’s not an easy fix. I have mine under control but it could always be cooler. It’s something to think about or plan for...

My take on the trans/ clutch is if you stay with a reasonable size tire you’ll be fine.

I like my Honda but In hindsight I should of bought a 4 seat Rzr or CanAm. It would’ve been a much much more comfortable ride.

I also think both CanAm and Polaris have better accessories from manufacturer.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
rzrs break all the time and can ams got worse heat issues than any of the others. and weak belts compared there power for both, stuff you dont have to update or modify, unlike the Japanese ones. have to drop a bunch more on both of those to be able to use it

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The ride might be more comfortable but with all the breakdowns the rzr have I would rather have the honda.

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just my opinion
I probably know almost 15 people with one or the other. I can’t think of anybody with major issues.
I had a Maverick that would boil your brains out if the outside temps were over 80deg. It was so hot that it would piss me off, sold it.

H

HondaTech

Hello, I agree with everyone on here about the Honda as far as it being a good machine But, A few of us have had a serious issue with computer not turning on the fan at certain times causing unit to overheat and I still have not heard for sure if Honda has a fix for it, I have heard recently that they may have an update to ECM to possibly correct problem but have not heard anything to confirm, at least I have not, You can read all about it in over heating issues, mine is a 2017 , Hopefully Honda does have a fix , Best of luck,,,

The update is officially available, but I cant attest to it actually solving the issue yet. We've done our first 1 today on a new unit leaving tomorrow. It's simple, took longer to set the computer up then it does to actually complete the update. I don't see why it shouldn't be the fix for the issue.

Reactions: farmtimpioneer
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
all the can ams have ton of power and terribly lean tunes, always have heat issuses, burned my feet actually until i got a dobeck ejk then i could ride it all day even when its raining and the rad gets half plugged didnt have the light on

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The update is officially available, but I cant attest to it actually solving the issue yet. We've done our first 1 today on a new unit leaving tomorrow. It's simple, took longer to set the computer up then it does to actually complete the update. I don't see why it shouldn't be the fix for the issue.

Hello, Thank You for Your work and all the helpful info on this subject, I have a question, will all of the Honda power sports Dealers have this info, I deal with a small dealer in southern Ohio, Thank You,,,

H

HondaTech

Hello, Thank You for Your work and all the helpful info on this subject, I have a question, will all of the Honda power sports Dealers have this info, I deal with a small dealer in southern Ohio, Thank You,,,

Yes any Honda dealer should have access.

If you don't mind me asking what dealer do you deal with? We're in Northen Cincinnati.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!