Talon Low idle when restarting at altitude

Willy-T-Ribs

Willy-T-Ribs

Sep 30, 2024
Heber City Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R4 LV
2024 1000r-4 with ~600 miles.

Looking for some sage input here. Dealership service is unhelpful. If it doesn't throw a code they don't have a clue. So I turn to the community of real users to see if someone can shed some light on this behavior.

Setup: We live at 5600' elevation in Heber City Utah. I drive the talon up into the Uintas or the Wasatch back gaining 3K' minimum without turning the machine off. Once at elevation, I turn the machine off for a short duration (minutes). Upon restarting, the RPM teeters on stalling out at ~200-400 RPM. If I let it chug along, it clears on it's own after what feels like around 10 seconds. A couple times when this occurs, she has stalled and upon restarting, the RPM comes up fine (>1000 RPM).

This does not feel like a bad gas situation to me being that for 99% of the time, it's running strong - no issues. This feels more electronic to me (like an ECU to MAP sensor information exchange issue). I've looked for some insight as to how the rig dynamically adjusts for elevation change and have come up empty - basically a black box.

It's just this "oh oh" moment when the sphincter tightens and makes you wonder if she's going to fire up or not. Full disclosure, our prior Can Am ATV's left us stranded twice due to not starting (fuel pump). One time on the top of Tin Cup pass in Colorado. Not fun. So when our rig (Bluey) has a hiccup, I can feel those old demons circling both my and worst, the wifes head.

With time in the saddle this rig will prove it's robustness. But after only 600-ish miles, shes still earning that respect.

Does anyone have insight as to how the Talon dynamically adjusts for altitude changes relating to fuel delivery?

Reactions: TxDoc
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
my understand (lol) is that the altitude adjustment in the ECM is a one shot when starting the engine, so if u climb from 1K elevation to 6K elevation - the altitude is locked in at 1K.

when you go to restart - are you letting the key on for a few seconds before engaging the starter, like let the display go thru all its start-up crap and grab the updated altitude

also - you have checked or replaced your air filter - without a prefilter and if you ride in dust - it can be loaded up

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try starting it differently.

Turn the key on, wait 10-15 seconds, then engage starter and start it. Give the computer time to figure out where you are.

Edit, try like @DRZRon1 typed above.

Willy-T-Ribs

Willy-T-Ribs

Sep 30, 2024
Heber City Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R4 LV
Consensus, I like it. And quick. It will give that a go. You guys rock.

Just curious, have either of you experienced this behavior on your machines and tried this workaround?

It seems that Honda should minimally include a blurb about this behavior in their documentation somewhere. Or maybe they have and I've been unable to find it? In any event, a situation where the machine is running way too lean in a rich environment seems like a potential problem waiting to happen. And where I ride we're constantly going up and down the mountain. I guess if this HACK works then I'll just have to get my rump out of the seat every so often. ;)

Thanks for the input!

Willy-T-Ribs

Willy-T-Ribs

Sep 30, 2024
Heber City Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R4 LV
also - you have checked or replaced your air filter - without a prefilter and if you ride in dust - it can be loaded up

DRZRon1 - This was one of the first things I checked. And the filter, while somewhat dirty, had >50 green showing.

I'm well aware of the need for a pre-filter of some form. It's actually the first mod I plan on adding soon to be followed by the reverse CJ transfer case boot on the shifter for heat mitigation.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

DRZRon1 - This was one of the first things I checked. And the filter, while somewhat dirty, had >50 green showing.

I'm well aware of the need for a pre-filter of some form. It's actually the first mod I plan on adding soon to be followed by the reverse CJ transfer case boot on the shifter for heat mitigation.

all good - thanks for not ghosting us......

I have not had to try the wait on start-up thingy - I live in Eastern - PA.......not applicable to my area

good luck with the heat - nothing like the radiator in the bed to dissipate heat - lol (thats a big swing to resolve the heat issue).

Last edited:
Reactions: GovtMule
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

10-80 dirtsports has a great Talon prefilter setup. He’s also an active forum member. @highpocket74

Reactions: highpocket74
advertisement
Willy-T-Ribs

Willy-T-Ribs

Sep 30, 2024
Heber City Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R4 LV
all good - thanks for not ghosting us......

I have not had to try the wait on start-up thingy - I live in Eastern - PA.......not applicable to my area

good luck with the heat - nothing like the radiator in the bed to dissipate heat - lol (thats a big swing to resolve the heat issue).
I know it's getting close to Halloween but ghosting is definitely not my style. I really appreciate the time and effort the folks populating the forum put forth. I plan on doing the same once the back of my ears dry.

And you're right, moving the radiator to the bed is a big change. Heck, the shine hasn't even wore off my tires yet. I'm definitely one of those measure N times, cut once kind of guys. And as I've aged, the N has become 3, 4 and 5 at times.

Willy-T-Ribs

Willy-T-Ribs

Sep 30, 2024
Heber City Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R4 LV
Sorry for the bad form.

I've attached a pic of both of my girls on Strawberry Ridge just south of Heber City.

BlueyMomma

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Sorry for the bad form.

I've attached a pic of both of my girls on Strawberry Ridge just south of Heber City.

View attachment 445524
funny - we have a manufacturing site in Spanish Fork off of 15 I built 30 year ago and go to yet once or twice a year and spent some time fishing on Strawberry reservoir - no clue if strawberry ridge is related to that reservoir

Willy-T-Ribs

Willy-T-Ribs

Sep 30, 2024
Heber City Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R4 LV
funny - we have a manufacturing site in Spanish Fork off of 15 I built 30 year ago and go to yet once or twice a year and spent some time fishing on Strawberry reservoir - no clue if strawberry ridge is related to that reservoir
Bingo. That's the reservoir in the background. The ridge runs on the West side.