CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Cool video. šŸ‘ If you think that's dirty - Hold My Beer. :p

About the sub trans - yeah, they can be broken BUT - as long as you know about the problem and are mechanically sympathetic, I think there's a very small possibility of doing damage. The problems happen when guys start banging between Low and Reverse when they get stuck or impatient. I have over 9,000 miles now and I've never had the dreaded BANG when the shift dogs slip.

To help with that, I almost never use Low when the buggy is cold unless I have to - and then I'll make a short run where I'll shift into Low when I'm barely moving and click it into Low - it's like double clutching a crash box, done slow and carefully. Actually, I try to be rolling (SLOWLY) when I shift into Low even after it's warmed up.

Last edited:
G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Was talking about the sub trans, I felt my talon jump a tooth today, only 330 miles on it, was not dogging it, it was cold, backed it out of barn , put in in drive eased off to put it under shelter, started moving them made a noticeable pop like it jumped a gear or something, then was fine, what yā€™all think??

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Was talking about the sub trans, I felt my talon jump a tooth today, only 330 miles on it, was not dogging it, it was cold, backed it out of barn , put in in drive eased off to put it under shelter, started moving them made a noticeable pop like it jumped a gear or something, then was fine, what yā€™all think??
Warm it up, bet it never does it again.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Low or High range? If Low, donā€™t use Low until itā€™s warmed up, thatā€™s where a lot of them were skipping. If you have to use Low when itā€™s cold, get rolling in High (slowly), decelerate, when youā€™ve almost stopped moving, snick it into Low. Itā€™s like double clutching a non synchro transmission.

Change the sub trans fluid to HP4 with moly. There are 2 photos of that oil in the New Talon Owners thread, linked in my sig and a sticky in the General Talon 1000 Discussion forum.

Since you were just moving at lite throttle, I doubt you did any damage. Try to remember the conditions (cold sub trans, Low range?) and try to do ā€˜somethingā€™ different next time. Mine has done it twice, once on a chilly morning and another at the trailhead, it was 80* out too, so not chilly at all.

When I shift into Low, I can feel that it hasnā€™t gone all the way in, the lever is loaded toward the front of the shift gate. When it falls into Low, itā€™s not loaded forward.

Make sure you shift cable is adjusted properly - the shift lever should straddle the Neutral gate - equal play on both sides of the gate center line. My shifter center line is just a bit forward of the Neutral gate which gives me a little more ā€˜pushā€™ into Low.

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks for info, honestly I canā€™t remember if low or high, I was just moving it outta way but usually when Iā€™m moving it slow I put it in low, so I believe I would have been in low, we put rotella t6 in my buddyā€™s pioneer made it shift 100 percent smoother and itā€™s got the j rating

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Machine trans popped again today, have to move it outta shop to work on other things, backed it out slowly, put it in high definitely pulled off easy and it popped, then it was fine, what yā€™all think, leaving for Hatfield Thursday morning

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Machine trans popped again today, have to move it outta shop to work on other things, backed it out slowly, put it in high definitely pulled off easy and it popped, then it was fine, what yā€™all think, leaving for Hatfield Thursday morning
Did you buy this new? (So you know the history) Is your shift lever centered on the Neutral gate? (Or a tiny bit forward wonā€™t hurt). In the beginning, guys were taking a rat tail file and elongating the shift gate to the rear, so there was more travel into Low.

The problem with that idea, it sounds like yours is doing it in Reverse?

Reactions: Smitty335
G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I bought it new, only 6 months old 320miles, itā€™s doing it in high, everything feels stiff like it supposed to, display showing high, itā€™s like the gears have to turn a little for it to lock all way in and makes a pop then it goes, it actually pulls off a foot or so before it pops .

D

Dovetail

Lifetime Member
Feb 7, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Damn fine looking machine brother. Where did you get the flag decals on on the lower doors? Is your original battery working for your extras or did you have to put in a second battery?

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
It is for salešŸ‘, original battery runs everything no problem, have a volt meter in it, never seen it drop under 14volts while running, flags was made by me on a cricut machine, always put the flag on the back window so just made them smaller, I ended up taking them off though, just a little too much green, I made a more recent video of it too

Worse1

Worse1

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is for salešŸ‘, original battery runs everything no problem, have a volt meter in it, never seen it drop under 14volts while running, flags was made by me on a cricut machine, always put the flag on the back window so just made them smaller, I ended up taking them off though, just a little too much green, I made a more recent video of it too
Nice rig. If you dont mind me asking, why the change of heart?

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Iā€™ve always owned utility rigs, but the kids got us going with them to Hatfield 4 times a year, we walked in the showroom and saw that one with that color scheme and my wife loved it, we have enjoyed it, excellent ride and very capable trail machine, it will go anywhere šŸ˜‚. But l love to deer hunt and clean in the yards and the talon is not the machine for that. The can-am wonā€™t handle the trails the way the Talon did but it is plenty capable, donā€™t have a bad word to say about Honda, they make a great machine, wish I could keep them both

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!