P1000 Maintaining dual battery set-up

Bubba

Bubba

Lifetime Member
May 5, 2016
Belle Chasse La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What tender do you use ? That may be my problem, mine never goes to float mode, I don't think it is my accessories. Winch, light bar, led cab light and bilge fan is the only things hooked to second battery.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What tender do you use ? That may be my problem, mine never goes to float mode, I don't think it is my accessories. Winch, light bar, led cab light and bilge fan is the only things hooked to second battery.

9b37eb69cf2c2e36625159dc4d1318ce

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My tender just puts out 0.75 amps, that might be the problem.

Still shouldn't be an issue as long as there is not a parasitic load. It is still putting power in.

With AGM battery you do need an AGM compatible charger.

With Lithium you need a Lithium compatible charger.

Reactions: sharp and truc577
Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
What kind of battery is the stock battery. I'm not a battery guru I just know that optima is supposed to be good in these applications because it is gel? And a bigger battery means I won't run out of battery as fast. I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What kind of battery is the stock battery. I'm not a battery guru I just know that optima is supposed to be good in these applications because it is gel? And a bigger battery means I won't run out of battery as fast. I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guess the stock battery is gel or AGM. Especially since it lays on its side and its spill proof. That's something I need to look into.

Optima uses fiber glass instead of gel. They're great batteries and you won't regret doing that mod. Just don't forget the isolator!

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm guess the stock battery is gel or AGM. Especially since it lays on its side and its spill proof. That's something I need to look into.

Optima uses fiber glass instead of gel. They're great batteries and you won't regret doing that mod. Just don't forget the isolator!
Stock battery is absorbed glass mat...AGM.

Reactions: joeymt33
Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think that may be the key right there. Your using a 4amp charger where most I am going to assume are using the .75 amp or 1.25amp Battery tenders which aren't keeping up with the blue light staying on therefore it never goes into float mode and the green light on the battery tender never comes on. Being a 4amp charger it can keep up with the battery drain of the blue light on. No expert, just a thought there.

Doug_Jones

Doug_Jones

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2018
Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the dual battery setup and my primary battery is getting old. If it fails, can I jump start the motor from the secondary battery, and if so, how should it be done?

MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the dual battery setup and my primary battery is getting old. If it fails, can I jump start the motor from the secondary battery, and if so, how should it be done?
I suppose at it's most basic, just using a pair of jumper cables would work... but other than that it sort of depends on your setup. I'm in the same situation, my factory primary battery is showing age, whereas my aux is new. I've debated wiring up a switch to allow for jumping off the aux battery, but I'll probably just build a customer jumper wire to tie the positive terminals together (or jump the aux + post to the starter solenoid).

Doug_Jones

Doug_Jones

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2018
Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies. I thought about the jumper cable but not knowing much about electronics I wondered if it would mess up something. I’m guessing I would only need one cable since both batteries are already grounded to the same vehicle frame.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!