my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
I've searched but I can't find an answer. How do you hook a battery tender up with a dual battery isolator. Do you charge both batteries somehow? Just the secondary?

Reactions: sharp
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking and for the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubba

Bubba

Lifetime Member
May 5, 2016
Belle Chasse La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So when the tender charges the primary up and the isolator blue light comes on and lets both batteries charge my tender keeps charging and never goes from red charging to green charged. Blue light never goes back off. Gages show 14.1 volts on both batteries so I know they are charged. The tender should go to green then! How does you guys work?

Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
So when the tender charges the primary up and the isolator blue light comes on and lets both batteries charge my tender keeps charging and never goes from red charging to green charged. Blue light never goes back off. Gages show 14.1 volts on both batteries so I know they are charged. The tender should go to green then! How does you guys work?
mine does same thing.... How do you have your ground hooked up? I've got mine hooked to the factory battery , I'm thinking of changing the 2nd battery ground to the frame and see how the tender works then.

Reactions: sharp and Corona1
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Give Dennis a call at (509) 991-0385. He is the designer and manufacturer of the True isolator. Hes in Washington state so check the time difference. He can answer any questions you guys may have .

utvmi

utvmi

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any update on this, Did anyone find out an answer to this ?/..Thanks

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Are you sure nothing is running on the second battery while it is charging?
Try disconnecting all custom accessories and check if the battery gets fully charged.

Reactions: sharp and Delton
Bubba

Bubba

Lifetime Member
May 5, 2016
Belle Chasse La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The light on the true isolator staying on makes the tender keep charging.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i just charge the primary.
Once its fully charged, the isolator opens to allow charging of secondary

@ghost is Right charge the primary and the secondary will charge once the primary hits 12.8v.

I have had mine set up like this from day one and it's worked fine.

If you have a radio or something else with a parasitic drain it WILL not be able to charge the battery and will eventually kill the battery it's connected to. I learned that the hard way.

Bubba

Bubba

Lifetime Member
May 5, 2016
Belle Chasse La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So your main battery charges up, light comes on the isolator letting the second battery charge , when second battery is charged your battery tender will shut off ?

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
I think what they are saying is that the blue LED on the true isolator is enough of a drain that the battery tender will never "fully charge" the second battery and therefor the tender will not shut off. It makes sense to me. Also I wired my winch to the second battery and the dash switch for the winch has a LED light and so the battery tender is basically supplying power to both those LED's and will not turn off.

Reactions: sharp and truc577
Bubba

Bubba

Lifetime Member
May 5, 2016
Belle Chasse La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's right! the blue light on my isolator is not letting the tender shut off when the second battery is charged.

truc577

truc577

Lifetime Member
May 17, 2017
NEMO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think what they are saying is that the blue LED on the true isolator is enough of a drain that the battery tender will never "fully charge" the second battery and therefor the tender will not shut off. It makes sense to me. Also I wired my winch to the second battery and the dash switch for the winch has a LED light and so the battery tender is basically supplying power to both those LED's and will not turn off.

I had the same issue and installed a master switch. Switches are cool and all, but they cause some issues

Reactions: sharp and Delton
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So your main battery charges up, light comes on the isolator letting the second battery charge , when second battery is charged your battery tender will shut off ?
no it stays connected until the primary drops to 12.7

. No im saying if you have a radio or USB ports that stay powered 24/7 that will drain you battery.

That's right! the blue light on my isolator is not letting the tender shut off when the second battery is charged.
right the isolator stays on once the primary is charged. The light is just status is maybe a milliamp not enough to run the batterys down in a year. My tender goes to float Mode once it reaches full charge.

You have more of a drain than you think somewhere try disconnecting the accessories all together and just have the batteries connected via the ISO.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!