Max Tire Size with Stock Wheels

A

ArkansasD

Jun 24, 2015
Hey, New to the forum and just purchased the Pioneer 500. I have read a lot of posts but have not found any definite answers. What is the max height on the front that we can go on tire size on stock wheels. I know I read 26's will fit but what about 27's possibly 28's. Staying 9" wide or so. I am looking at going bigger and better but don't want mud all over me with offset wheels. Been there done that on my Polaris ATV and hated riding it on the farm after a rain.

On a side note, while I have not gotten to ride much yet, this little thing seems very torquey and well made. Really looking forward to our annual family ride in two weeks. Hopefully I will have a bed built by then. Got a good idea for a neat homemade basket. If it comes together/looks good I will post pics info.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome @ArkansasD.
Lots of people have said 27's will work no problem. Going to 28's you need to do the frame mod. If it was mine, I would spend the time to do the frame mod and run 28" tires.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Welcome @ArkansasD.
Lots of people have said 27's will work no problem. Going to 28's you need to do the frame mod. If it was mine, I would spend the time to do the frame mod and run 28" tires.
The other thing to consider is ATV/SxS tire are known to not measure the true size. It is not unusual for people to buy a 26" tire and find out they are really 25 or even 24.5" so make sure you research your tire so you know the true size.

Reactions: ohanacreek
A

ArkansasD

Jun 24, 2015
The other thing to consider is ATV/SxS tire are known to not measure the true size. It is not unusual for people to buy a 26" tire and find out they are really 25 or even 24.5" so make sure you research your tire so you know the true size.
Thanks SxS and Code 54. That is good info. I knew about the "actual" tire size info. Crazy they can get away with that...I have heard about the frame mod to but not seen a pic of it. Looking at it I what I would do so it should be straight forward. Thanks again for the info!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Exactly my GBC 27's were 26.75, My ITP Evo 28's were 28.25 1.5" difference I looked at several 28" tires and most were 27-27.5"

M

Martoe

Jun 18, 2021
Alberta,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Hello I don't mean to steel the thread ,but here goes. I found a set of 27 inch tires to replace the 24s on my 520.Front are 1 inch wider while the rear are 2inches wider. I would mount them on stock rims. Before purchasing them I'd like to hear from someone who has done this and knows if it is doable without other mods.
Thanks

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hello I don't mean to steel the thread ,but here goes. I found a set of 27 inch tires to replace the 24s on my 520.Front are 1 inch wider while the rear are 2inches wider. I would mount them on stock rims. Before purchasing them I'd like to hear from someone who has done this and knows if it is doable without other mods.
Thanks
They'll work. I'd recommend spacers if you're going taller, otherwise it'll be a puckerfest.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Puckerfest ??
It's going to be tippy as hell! Everyone came into these machines wanting more ground clearance but to stay at 50". Not recommended. Severely hinders the capability of the machine and makes it dangerous. We had one member that didn't heed the advise and totaled his machine. Good thing he didn't break his neck.

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
I have 27x9-12 tires on stock rims with either 1" or 1.5" spacers (I forget which) behind each wheel on all four wheels of my P520. Fits well with no rubbing and seems stable to me. This was on it when I bought it, so I don't have a lot of comparison to the stock tires.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!