Maxxis Bighorn vs Bighorn 2

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
OK, I've read countless reviews, threads and such, talked to several dealers and anyone I could catch with a SxS , looking for the perfect all round replacement tire for my 500. After having made up my mind about a dozen times and then getting it changed and start'n all over again I've decided the very convention choice of Maxxis Bighorns is probably the safest choice.

One of the things I started looking at, that I'd never considered before start'n this quest, is tire weight. Since this entered the equation I started looking at the Bighorn 2 tires, too. I want 26 inch tires, for sure. After look'n at charts I noticed I could use original Bighorns, but go to 14 inch rims and have the extra tread and width of the originals with the weight of the 2's.

Bighorn 26 x 9 x 12 weigh 25.2 pounds
" " 26 x 12 x 12 " 29.9 "

Bighorn 26 x 9 x14 weigh 23 pounds
" " 26 x 11 x 14 " 27.8 "

So, as of now, I think I'm going with (original) 26" Bighorn tires on 14" rims, if I don't change my mind, again.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I have owned 4 sets of Big Horns so far! Set on my Rubicon, 2 sets on my Rincon, a 14" wheel set, then changed to 12" wheels. When I bought my Pioneer I went with GBC Dirt Commander on 14"s. Then changed to my current set of 12" Big Horns. Guess you can say... I love the BH's.

Last edited:
O

OutdoorEd

Apr 25, 2015
I would go with less weight, depending on your terrain. I was faced with the same decision not long ago for my rhino. The bighorn 2.0 is a great tire and what I will be replacing my stock tires with when they wear out. You will get better wear with the originals, but the weight may cause issues on top speed and hill climbing. Either way you can't make a wrong choice. I think it's the best all around tire on the market.

Reactions: Hondasxs
doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
I've owned both, and prefer the original bighorn. They wear much better, have iron sidewalls and I personally felt they were better in the snow.

drop_the_beat_mx

drop_the_beat_mx

Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2015
not south enough
Weigh the 14" wheels vs12" too before making a decision. Might be the same or more weight with a larger wheel depending on the material wheel and width etc...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!