futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Last year at Takeover, I had a couple of wheels sustain damage. Specifically, an outer rim/lip got bent in a couple of places (ITP steelies). No big deal, just cosmetic. My 500 is a trail rig, not a lawn queen.

My question: What sort of damage might an aluminum wheel have sustained? Many rigs have or come with aluminum wheels.

I'm toying with the idea of aluminum wheels on my 520 at some point. I won't mind the inevitable rash, but I'm concerned about harder hits.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My question: What sort of damage might an aluminum wheel have sustained? Many rigs have or come with aluminum wheels.
They are fairly robust and hold up well. Ive had them on all 3 machines and havent had any issues like I did with the steel ones I had with that type of riding. The only negative is they scratch fairly easy depending on your riding style

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Last year at Takeover, I had a couple of wheels sustain damage. Specifically, an outer rim/lip got bent in a couple of places (ITP steelies). No big deal, just cosmetic. My 500 is a trail rig, not a lawn queen.

I'm toying with the idea of aluminum wheels on my 520 at some point. I won't mind the inevitable rash, but I'm concerned about harder hits.
When I switched out the stockers I had a couple of bent lips. Since I've been running the aluminum wheels I just see rash. They've held up pretty well.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The bead lock rings on my STI wheels are steel and take all the abuse, protecting the aluminum wheel itself. (This isn’t true, see correction below ☺️)

Back when they were new and pritty, not so much anymore. 😢

Last edited:
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
I had a couple of wheels sustain damage. Specifically, an outer rim/lip got bent in a couple of places (ITP steelies). No big deal, just cosmetic. My 500 is a trail rig, not a lawn queen.

ALL 4 Wheels 3rd..picture <> ITP 4×3 Offset 4×110 purchased Used 2009 ( Low milage ) With ITP- XTR Tires 27×9×12 ft. <> 27×11×12 6 rear. <> 6ply <> Depending on "load" <> air pressuer <> 6.5psi to 8psi
FYI: This picture shows how the sidewall helps protect the wheel.
ON - 3rd. Set of XTR 27's "On These Wheels"
A few minor scars / scratches / finish wear ( still in use ) & NO Wheel PROBLEMS <> did punctuer couple tires with sticks <> use as spares now
Above wheels on 3rd. SxS Now
1st on 2009 rzr ( with adapters )
2nd on 2014 Honda Pioneer P700-4
Now -3rd. on 2018 Honda Pioneer P500
These wheels have held up well Without any Problems Would Buy Again.

2nd picture both <> ITP Mudlite Tire & ITP Alum Wheel set up
1st. <> picture Kenda HTR's ( smooth ride with these ) on yamaha ( Alum Wheels 4 × 110 ) / "Not as Sturdy as" ITP WHEELS
2nd. <> picture <> ITP setup Described Above & still using today <> since 2009
3rd. <> picture All ITP TIRE & Wheel set.

All have been used in ADK Mt's upstate N.Y. with No Significant Damage.
Steel wheels <> show more lip damage than any of these Alum. wheels.
Alum wheels seem to taks glancing hits & scrapes better than steel.

Trying Alum. Beadlock's 12's <> on P520

20210607 082105 20200725 122406 20201114 111251

Last edited:
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My vote goes to aluminum wheels. More specifically beadlocks. I've bent steel wheels on trucks, jeeps, and atvs. I've never kinked a bead on an aluminum beadlock wheel. I've also never seen a steel wheel with a rock pushed through it either. There are pros and cons to both. I tell everyone beadlocks are worth the money if you are pushing the machine hard. If nothing else I've driven out of the woods with flats from rips in the side walls and the tires both stayed on the wheel when ran flat.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

Sti hd9's can take a hit without breaking- to some degree. Many times with the jeeps a steel wheel has been hammered back close enough to kind of hold air to get us home, so there is that. I don't want to try that with aluminum
20230322 161510

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
You can grenade ‘em all. Ball peen in tool box. Also have used rocks to straighten steel beads. Cast aluminum can take a good hit but also break and not bend. I have some of the old super lite ITP forged but they’re wrapped in 12” wides to somewhat protect them. I’m a poster boy for beadlocks but have never gone there. Tire bead protection probably helps a little. I’m on 4 fronts on 10s while pushing my luck…..

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!