BOX1

P1000 Missing coolant

B

BobbyV22

Jun 27, 2022
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, we had the engine rebuilt from a blowup that the mechanic said was because the electric fan motor wasn’t kicking on. So after all that my son got it back out on the trails and in some mud.
came home today and said he started to overheat so he looked the engine over and noticed there was no coolant in the overflow and none in the radiator. He had just done a radiator flush and put all new coolant in. There was no smell and nothing puddled up under the SXS. No coolant in the oil so we are wondering where this coolant could be going? As always any help would be appreciated. I wasn’t there and I didn’t do the flush.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, we had the engine rebuilt from a blowup that the mechanic said was because the electric fan motor wasn’t kicking on. So after all that my son got it back out on the trails and in some mud.
came home today and said he started to overheat so he looked the engine over and noticed there was no coolant in the overflow and none in the radiator. He had just done a radiator flush and put all new coolant in. There was no smell and nothing puddled up under the SXS. No coolant in the oil so we are wondering where this coolant could be going? As always any help would be appreciated. I wasn’t there and I didn’t do the flush.
100 bucks says your coolant is all over the ground somewhere.

B

BobbyV22

Jun 27, 2022
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
100 bucks says your coolant is all over the ground somewhere.
Well he filled it back up with water and it still doesn’t leak all over the ground!!! Been told in a few groups that it is probably an air pocket and that it flash boiled when it was getting hotter. So, I’ll drain the water he put in it and refill with coolant.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well he filled it back up with water and it still doesn’t leak all over the ground!!! Been told in a few groups that it is probably an air pocket and that it flash boiled when it was getting hotter. So, I’ll drain the water he put in it and refill with coolant.
I'm betting it boiled over while you were driving and you didn't notice it. First time mine overheated , I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for my wife.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Did you guys burp it when filling it back up the first time? If not, do it now when you fill it up. Have the machine idling while filling it up with the front end elevated off the ground about 2' or so

B

BobbyV22

Jun 27, 2022
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you guys burp it when filling it back up the first time? If not, do it now when you fill it up. Have the machine idling while filling it up with the front end elevated off the ground about 2' or so
I wasn’t there when they flushed the system and cleaned out the radiator. I read the manual and didn’t see anything about lifting the front end up. But you are the second person that said lift the front end up. I can run the SXS up on my ramps and fill it for sure. Thanks for the tip.

B

BobbyV22

Jun 27, 2022
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What all was replaced? I would think an overheated engine failure would warrant a new head atleast?

The 2016 models weren't known for fan failure, that was 2017, 2018 and some 2019 models.
Everything was replaced. The rod blew the cases out. I don’t believe we used a single part from the old engine. Maybe a bolt or 2. $8000 rebuild.

T

Tma

Dec 22, 2022
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When burping where are you refilling? In the reservoir or directly in the radiator?

Reactions: Smitty335
B

Backcountry

Feb 14, 2021
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've had the same problem on my 2016 1K, local Honda service manager suggested maybe it's leaking into a piston chamber and going out the exhaust.??? Sometimes when I check the overflow res it's low and sometimes it's above where I filled it to. Never find anything on the ground or anywhere, though I have always smelled coolant when it's running.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've had the same problem on my 2016 1K, local Honda service manager suggested maybe it's leaking into a piston chamber and going out the exhaust.??? Sometimes when I check the overflow res it's low and sometimes it's above where I filled it to. Never find anything on the ground or anywhere, though I have always smelled coolant when it's running.
Check your weep hole. There's a rubber tube that protrudes through the skid plate. If you get a dribble when you shake it, it's your weep hole draining a little fluid. Not a big deal yet but may get worse with age.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
my 2016 1K,
👮‍♂️🚨🚔
Shut the front door!
Sorry my deputies need to put more road patrol time in! 😂

First ever forum post since joining in 21’ we have a fo sho…
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!