P500 Mobile 1 75w140 syn gear oil

MtClimber500

MtClimber500

Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2020
Butte, Mt
Ownership

1. 500
I ride mine hunting in the fall down to temps as low as -20 below zero. I figure I'll drain and put in the 75-140 in the spring and then in Oct drain it and put back in the thinner stuff. Not a big deal to drain it.
Don't want to burn something in the cold weather.

Reactions: crewcabrob
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I ride mine hunting in the fall down to temps as low as -20 below zero. I figure I'll drain and put in the 75-140 in the spring and then in Oct drain it and put back in the thinner stuff. Not a big deal to drain it.
ive ran mine in well negatives to where water freezes instantly and never had a issue... the thicker the better with these gears

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500

I don't understand so please bear with me. If the normal oil is 80-90, then why would an oil of 75W-145 cause problems? Seems to me the 75W-145 would be better in cold weather. What am I missing?

Last edited:
F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
I don't understand so please bare with me. If the normal oil is 80-90, then why would an oil of 75W-145 cause problems? Seems to me the 75W-145 would be better in cold weather. What am I missing?
8090 is thinner

LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
8090 is thinner
true at running temp, 90 is thinner than 145. But, 1st number is winter weight when cold. so 75w is thinner starting out than 80w, than at running temp(warm) they act like their other rating, 145w or 90w. same with motor oil, thats why when you pour out 0w-30 or 5w-30 they're thinner than 10w-30 but at running temp they all act like 30w. oils are not what they seem when poured out of a bottle. so, after all that, 75w-145 is really thinner starting out cold than the 80w-90.

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
I haven't changed out the diff oil yet on mine but when I do it will be 75w-145 synthetic. I know the synthetic 75W-145 made a big difference when I ran it in the transmission on my HD motorcycles.

MtClimber500

MtClimber500

Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2020
Butte, Mt
Ownership

1. 500
I just traded out the diff oil for 75-140 and engine to full synthetic. Hopefully that will quiet down the noise some.

K

kyote

Jul 24, 2020
La Porte TX
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW, did my first service and changed diffs to Supertech 75W140, crystal clear and thinner looking than what came out.
Synthetics be crazy like that...

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Just did mine today

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I've ran both, 75/140 is better for the 500 IMO.

Did you keep 75/140 in your machine during the winter as well? Im in MN and I see you're in MI so we see close to the same weather during the winter. Just wondering if I make the change if it would be wise to switch back during the plowing season?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Did you keep 75/140 in your machine during the winter as well? Im in MN and I see you're in MI so we see close to the same weather during the winter. Just wondering if I make the change if it would be wise to switch back during the plowing season?

Yeah I left it in. Don't do much trail riding in the winter but plow with it and it did fine. I usually swap out the differential lube every other year.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I will totally agree that it made a difference in my driveline noise. Especially noticeable when deaccelerating or coasting. My rear diff sounded terrible before, not I barely hear it.

The weird thing I noticed was that the oil looked different from the front and rear diff. I would have assumed that they put the same oil in at both ends? I guess even if the dealer I purchased it from happen to put the wrong oil in one of them, I only have about 180 miles on my P520. Couldn't have done much damage in that amount of time. I was just happy there was actually oil in it... they left so many bolts loose and missing when I bought it.

Rob

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Sad to hear the stories of dealers not putting machines together properly. Our local dealer is really good, went over entire machine when I got it and all was good.
I changed my diff fluids at 600km and the oil was very clean still. The 75/140 did make a difference and things are very quiet now compared to new. I have 1200kms on it now, (approx 750 miles).

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Made the switch this weekend from the Honda 80W 90 to Royal Purple 75 140. They didn't have any Mobile 1 at the Napa I shop at. Huge difference. Noticed right away how much quieter it was. So quick and easy to do and man what a positive difference. I'm going to Northern MN in September to do some riding and I am going to change the oil before I go. Thinking I'm going to get some synthetic oil in the engine and see what a difference that makes. Thinking about going the AMS oil route or maybe try the Royal Purple engine oil any suggestions?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Made the switch this weekend from the Honda 80W 90 to Royal Purple 75 140. They didn't have any Mobile 1 at the Napa I shop at. Huge difference. Noticed right away how much quieter it was. So quick and easy to do and man what a positive difference. I'm going to Northern MN in September to do some riding and I am going to change the oil before I go. Thinking I'm going to get some synthetic oil in the engine and see what a difference that makes. Thinking about going the AMS oil route or maybe try the Royal Purple engine oil any suggestions?

I've been running RP in everything I own for several yrs but for some reason it's getting hard to find. Couldn't find the MaxCycle for the last change so went to Honda full synthetic. Couldn't find their engine oil at AutoZone, Advanced or any mom and pops anymore, only O'Reilly's. Said screw it and switched to Mobil 1 now. Always went through a little using RP too, always had to keep an eye on the level in everything.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I've been running RP in everything I own for several yrs but for some reason it's getting hard to find. Couldn't find the MaxCycle for the last change so went to Honda full synthetic. Couldn't find their engine oil at AutoZone, Advanced or any mom and pops anymore, only O'Reilly's. Said screw it and switched to Mobil 1 now. Always went through a little using RP too, always had to keep an eye on the level in ever

I've been running RP in everything I own for several yrs but for some reason it's getting hard to find. Couldn't find the MaxCycle for the last change so went to Honda full synthetic. Couldn't find their engine oil at AutoZone, Advanced or any mom and pops anymore, only O'Reilly's. Said screw it and switched to Mobil 1 now. Always went through a little using RP too, always had to keep an eye on the level in everything.
I'm thinking I will go with the Honda full synthetic as well for the engine oil. Did you notice a little consumption with the RP in the differentials? I would imagine they wouldn't use any being as thick as the oil is. There would be a leak if it uses any in the differential right?

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I'm doing my first service this week...was planning on using the Honda GN4 10w30 oil-wise , but was wondering if you guys think its worth it to also do the diffs with the 75/140 on the first service? If there is a noticeable difference thinking I should maybe just do it now...

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!