P1000 Montana Title

S

Scub

Jan 10, 2021
Schuylkill Haven
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone title there machine in Montana? A friend did his there and and got Montana license for it and now drives on highways in PA. He added turn signals, review mirror, DOT street tires, License plate light, forgot what the last thing required for licensure.

Chipper

Chipper

May 30, 2016
Savannah GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I got a buddy of mine here in Georgia he went to dirt legal dot com or something like that and paid like $500 and he got a Montana tag for his can am and rides it all over the place. He’s been pulled over by state patrol one time and it’s legit, I will bring doing this very soon! And he does not live in Montana, the website does it all for you.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
and now drives on highways

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Montana is probably completely willing to accept your money and provide Montana registration and title for your ORV but that does nothing for you in your home state.

Every state requires residents of that state to register and in most states title motor vehicles operated on public roadways. Non-residents, of course, may operate motor vehicles registered in their home state.

If you have a Georgia residence and Georgia drivers licensee you are a Georgia resident, not a non-resident.

You may get away with ignoring Georgia laws but eventually a leo will have cause to check your documents.

P

PDogRex

Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2022
Central MT.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rear view mirror, Brake lights, Lighted License plate holder and a Horn is all that is required here in Montana to be street legal.
Adding blinkers and side rearview mirrors is beneficial.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
All the research I’ve done says that you open a LLC in Montana. then you can register your sxs under your LLC. then you can be resident of any state as it’s registered through your LLC.🤷‍♂️
Hmmm .... 🤔

advertisement
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Establishment of an LLC would require hiring a lawyer and legal and filing fees on top of the normal cost of registration and title. Depending on state tax laws there may be special income tax filings required of an LLC.

All that to skirt the law in Georgia to illegally operate an ORV on the streets?

I suspect there's a law in Georgia that requires motor vehicles domiciled and operated in Georgia to be registered in Georgia.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All the research I’ve done says that you open a LLC in Montana. then you can register your sxs under your LLC. then you can be resident of any state as it’s registered through your LLC.🤷‍♂️
I wonder if that raises issues selling & trading S X S's?

ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nearly anything I have ever done in my life to try and shortcut laws has come back to bite me in the ass.

Fortunately mine is plated in Tennessee and they are legal to drive on the road here with a few restrictions.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Establishment of an LLC would require hiring a lawyer and legal and filing fees on top of the normal cost of registration and title. Depending on state tax laws there may be special income tax filings required of an LLC.
Montana requires a lawyer to register an LLC? All it takes in Michigan is a two page form and a few bucks. Then $25/yr, IIRC.

There are no special income tax filings for an LLC. Most single-member LLCs are pass-thru and the net profit that isn't retained earnings gets reported on the member's standard return. The only thing that would change that would be if you chose to file as an S-Corp ... which isn't that confusing, but is only worth the effort if your annual revenue is above a specific amount.

Worst case, you'd spend about $400-500 to have an accountant handle your taxes. Obviously, COLA in your state will affect that.
I suspect there's a law in Georgia that requires motor vehicles domiciled and operated in Georgia to be registered in Georgia.
If you have dual residency with another state, I'm sure there are exceptions.

P

PVAndy

Dec 1, 2021
North Haven CT
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
Montana requires a lawyer to register an LLC? All it takes in Michigan is a two page form and a few bucks. Then $25/yr, IIRC.

There are no special income tax filings for an LLC. Most single-member LLCs are pass-thru and the net profit that isn't retained earnings gets reported on the member's standard return. The only thing that would change that would be if you chose to file as an S-Corp ... which isn't that confusing, but is only worth the effort if your annual revenue is above a specific amount.

Worst case, you'd spend about $400-500 to have an accountant handle your taxes. Obviously, COLA in your state will affect that.

If you have dual residency with another state, I'm sure there are exceptions.
Dirtlegal.com sets up the Montana LLC for you. Keeping the LLC active requires a $150 yearly fee. Montana registrations are lifetime, no renewals. Total fee to dirt legal is about $1250

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well.......I'm in Florida and 2 of my buddies just registered their sxs (RZR and a Can-am) through South Dakota.......$86 OTD..... They signed an affidavit stating the machine had all the DOT requirements and 3 weeks later they had SD tag and title.......done. We've rode past many many LEOs and they've just waved at us and gave us thumbs up.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!