P1000 More snow traction

L

LNHardwoods

Nov 18, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking for advise on more traction when going on the lake in deep snow and slush. I have a 2018 pioneer 1000-5.

I am barely getting out to my fishing spot right now and as snow melts and slush pockets get bigger I see bad things happening.

I really don’t want to do tracks, mostly because it will be too tall to fit through my garage door.

Wondering if a good aggressive diamond pattern chains would help much? Also looking at j wheelz or maybe both? J wheelz have a lot of good feedback for ATVs but I don’t know if they would hold up to the weight I have. I would really appreciate any insight or advice. Thanks in advance.

M

MTLuckyDan

Jun 18, 2018
US
Chains will greatly enhance your traction as long as you're getting sufficient power to the ground. Sometimes in late winter there is enough float to the snow to keep the machine suspended that even with chains you won't be able to go. I am running 4 chains including diamond chains on rear for plowing & the traction is exceptional...but with heavy drifts it's still possible to get stuck...luckily I haven't yet.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Chains will greatly enhance your traction as long as you're getting sufficient power to the ground. Sometimes in late winter there is enough float to the snow to keep the machine suspended that even with chains you won't be able to go. I am running 4 chains including diamond chains on rear for plowing & the traction is exceptional...but with heavy drifts it's still possible to get stuck...luckily I haven't yet.

I don't have a clue about Diamond chains, we get two inches of snow around here and it causes a delimina! It's all the new folk moving in that cause the issues.They can't text while driving! HA!

M

MTLuckyDan

Jun 18, 2018
US
Same thing here in Montana...all the folks from liberal left coast moving in & don't know how to drive in the snow...they eventually drive into the ditch & clear the road so we can text & drive faster...

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've found that all terrain treads and low tire pressure work well.

I do about 100 miles of ice riding per year on my Quadboss qbt846 tires 28x10 size.

IMG 20190223 092430

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I
I've found that all terrain treads and low tire pressure work well.

I do about 100 miles of ice riding per year on my Quadboss qbt846 tires 28x10 size.

View attachment 112171
Hand an old Grand Am, when the weather would get bad (snow) I would put 8 cinder blocks in the trunk, full tank of gas and would party all night with my friends, next morning ! would arrive at work about the same time as the everyone else and have partied my butt off the night before !

S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
I am looking for advise on more traction when going on the lake in deep snow and slush. I have a 2018 pioneer 1000-5.

I am barely getting out to my fishing spot right now and as snow melts and slush pockets get bigger I see bad things happening.

I really don’t want to do tracks, mostly because it will be too tall to fit through my garage door.

Wondering if a good aggressive diamond pattern chains would help much? Also looking at j wheelz or maybe both? J wheelz have a lot of good feedback for ATVs but I don’t know if they would hold up to the weight I have. I would really appreciate any insight or advice. Thanks in advance.
small width tire will do wonders and some weight behind the axels..

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I put weight in the back and run Low tire pressure. Chains or studs will help a lot as well.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Same thing here in Montana...all the folks from liberal left coast moving in & don't know how to drive in the snow...they eventually drive into the ditch & clear the road so we can text & drive faster...

I don't have a clue about Diamond chains, we get two inches of snow around here and it causes a delimina! It's all the new folk moving in that cause the issues.They can't text while driving! HA!
You guys are such great help....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

L

LNHardwoods

Nov 18, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the advice.

I think I’m gonna try some aggressive tire chains front and rear and possibly those Jwheelz we got an excessive amount of snow here in Central Wisconsin.

The dealer assured me that they will make a huge difference in the slush and snow. But I doubt they’re gonna say anything bad about their product. Does anybody know of anyone with some experience with this product before I drop 600 bucks?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't know them specifically but chains are the only thing that helps on ice. snow and slush though depends how deep it is narrow and weight only helps till its as deep as the bottom of the machine, which around here is quite often and the wide floaty tires with tractor type treads work best to lift you up, like mud lights or outback. I like the mud light 2 for utvs they are pretty reasonable, clear good and have the utv load ratings

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the advice.

I think I’m gonna try some aggressive tire chains front and rear and possibly those Jwheelz we got an excessive amount of snow here in Central Wisconsin.

The dealer assured me that they will make a huge difference in the slush and snow. But I doubt they’re gonna say anything bad about their product. Does anybody know of anyone with some experience with this product before I drop 600 bucks?
Fwiw.. I cant find any videos of a sxs with the jwheelz.... I would think a narrow tire with diamond chains would be better but I refuse to drive on a lake so I'm just guessing. Let us know what you go with and how it turns out.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
There's only so much you can do with tires in deep snow. Even with chains, if you get to a soft spot and the tires/chains dig down, once the skid plates sit on the snow, your stuck. Jwheelz appear to be the answer, but they are pricey!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There's only so much you can do with tires in deep snow. Even with chains, if you get to a soft spot and the tires/chains dig down, once the skid plates sit on the snow, your stuck. Jwheelz appear to be the answer, but they are pricey!
They appear to work on an atv but is there proof they work on a sxs? I can't find any.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
They appear to work on an atv but is there proof they work on a sxs? I can't find any.

He mentioned that his dealer sells them, maybe they'd let him try a set out! And someone could video it, good or bad, we'd all know!
Snow1tn

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
L

LNHardwoods

Nov 18, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess somebody needs to be the guinea pig.

All of the three dealers in a 50 mile radius are sold out. But assured me they are a great product.

I got an email into the manufacturer to see how they feel that they would hold up. They have a picture of a set on a full size ranger on their website. Hopefully they get back to me tomorrow and with any luck I could have a set by the weekend. If I do I’ll post some pictures and a video.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A buddy of mine runs an 850 Polaris atv. He stated his mud light xtr tires are the key to pulling his ice shack. Last weekend they helped a dozen guys pull shacks and anyone that had chains couldn't make it through the running board deep slush ect.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the xtrs are the best at deep snow and crap but for quads that you need to be smooth at high speeds and handle good, the can am I had could go though 3-4 ft of snow floating on top and on was 72 top speed nice and smooth. think they are just for atvs though, the mud light 2 is utv designed

Reactions: Mudwing
T

torawhide41

Jan 12, 2019
Sundre
How about these Trac Grabbers? About $50 CAN a pair. If you have enough clearance between tires and fender, they are awesome! I burried my quad in about 2 feet of snow last year and tried them out just for fun. I only put 2 of the 4 on and out I come! As for a slick icy lake, I used short self tapping screws in the lugs.
1c141028a2e1b43cf1bce783c3cf2315
... to add to this, I have the heavy ones for a truck, so they may be quite thicker than the others. The car/atv ones are only 1” thick. You can put one on each tire or 2 on opposing sides on each rear (less hell on your front diff).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those jwheelz look like an interesting solution to a problem I've not really had. I'd think you could accomplish the same thing with innovating a dually setup. Make some rim spacers and then all thread and union nuts and you would be in business if you had a spare set of rims/tires to go with it of course.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!