P1000 Mouse chewed wire?

T

TaterEd

Dec 7, 2020
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 that was sitting in my shop last week and when I went to start it this weekend it sounded rough idling and had the number 1 in the gear spot on the dash but the gear selector was in park. As I move the shifter the colored gear indicator changes to reverse and neutral correctly, but on the display it still shows a 1 and sometimes will show a dash. It will move but the motor is running very rough. I can touch the at/mt and sport switch and nothing happens as well. (One of these times I cranked it up and it would shut off as soon as you moved the gear shifter-this happened maybe 4 times before I left it and came back an hour later and it went back to doing as before)

I found a little piece of plastic around the footwell for the rear passenger that looks to have been gnawed by a mouse. I’m assuming he gnawed a wire somewhere. Any idea on where to look/start?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would look at any wires on or near the engine/trans as heat would stay there longer and that’s what the mouse is after. Every time I’ve had an issue on other vehicles it was always on top of the engine.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 that was sitting in my shop last week and when I went to start it this weekend it sounded rough idling and had the number 1 in the gear spot on the dash but the gear selector was in park. As I move the shifter the colored gear indicator changes to reverse and neutral correctly, but on the display it still shows a 1 and sometimes will show a dash. It will move but the motor is running very rough. I can touch the at/mt and sport switch and nothing happens as well. (One of these times I cranked it up and it would shut off as soon as you moved the gear shifter-this happened maybe 4 times before I left it and came back an hour later and it went back to doing as before)

I found a little piece of plastic around the footwell for the rear passenger that looks to have been gnawed by a mouse. I’m assuming he gnawed a wire somewhere. Any idea on where to look/start?
Is the figure in the gear indicator flashing? It should blink a series of long and short flashes. A 52 is a series of 5 long followed by 2 short flashes.

T

TaterEd

Dec 7, 2020
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is the figure in the gear indicator flashing? It should blink a series of long and short flashes. A 52 is a series of 5 long followed by 2 short flashes.
yes when I switch the key to the on position without starting. A dash five long times and then two short times

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yes when I switch the key to the on position without starting. A dash five long times and then two short times
I actually didn't pick the number 52 at random. There have been others with mouse problems that had the neutral switch wire eaten. I had a guy I know that had a herd of pack rats that destroyed his rig. Here are a couple threads to look at.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
As said, wires by the motor is where I would start too.
There is a bracket with 3 connectors on it. one single, and 2 other multi wires.
the single is your netural wire I think.
Others are gear position and i dont know what the other is for.

I'm not talking the ECU wires. You will need to remove the cover under/between the seat back and the seat bottom.

Wished I had a shop, I would tell you to bring it in. I enjoy these kinds of repairs.
A shop is on my 2-year plan.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know @HondaTech said he has had trouble with the neutral switch needing to be replaced but when you talked about mouse problems, it made me think of 52 code that others have had. Hope you can get it figured out.

T

TaterEd

Dec 7, 2020
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As said, wires by the motor is where I would start too.
There is a bracket with 3 connectors on it. one single, and 2 other multi wires.
the single is your netural wire I think.
Others are gear position and i dont know what the other is for.

I'm not talking the ECU wires. You will need to remove the cover under/between the seat back and the seat bottom.

Wished I had a shop, I would tell you to bring it in. I enjoy these kinds of repairs.
A shop is on my 2-year plan.
Thank you very much. I found the problem. Anyone have an idea on how to fix this? The kind mouse cut it right at the connector. This connector has two cables (one at each end) that plugs into it

1BF19D68 F608 48C7 B155 64D8B878395F

T

TaterEd

Dec 7, 2020
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually didn't pick the number 52 at random. There have been others with mouse problems that had the neutral switch wire eaten. I had a guy I know that had a herd of pack rats that destroyed his rig. Here are a couple threads to look at.

Thank you so much. Led me right to the problem

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks to the other members of the forum and sorry for your trouble but I'm glad you got it found. It's just crazy to me that it is usually the same wire. Must be a bunch of Liberal Mice running around because they like the color blue. Hope you can get it soldered back together. As it is the only wire you might just have to remove the connector completely and solder in another length of wire. Let us know when you get it fixed.

Last edited:
advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yep, That's your N wire...

That connector is impossible to get out. I have tried and failed without destroying it.
It looks like this connector I sell here.
I'll find some more pictures to compare.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!