P1000 Limp mode, won't shift out of 1st

S

samson7x

Dec 4, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm getting a 5-2 code. Anyone know what that means? I checked all fuses and nothing is blown. I turned it on/off a few times and nothing resets, remains in 1st only. My UTV is basically new, only 150 easy miles on it. It's a non power steering model if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@samson7x ,
Would you mind posting a video of your dash flashing the code? I didn’t see a 5-2 under dct or pgmfi.

S

samson7x

Dec 4, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@samson7x ,
Would you mind posting a video of your dash flashing the code? I didn’t see a 5-2 under dct or pgmfi.

Tried to upload but file too large. When I crank the wheeler and while still in park, the number 1 pops up in the “gear” section. It blinks 5 slow followed by a short pause, then 2 fast blinks. Does that make sense?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@samson7x
Your 5 slow count is equal to 10 per. 5 count is 50, and your 2 count is ones,

The code you threw is 52.
Check a few connections, if you are into a pcm replacement, send it back to your dealer.

48E3D669 4B09 4731 A604 1F29104EA6A5
54CBD47C 0FB9 4F93 A783 361523DE5610

Deltamud

Deltamud

Lifetime Member
Dec 3, 2015
Florence, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
found that if the neutral indicator switch does not make contact the pioneer will only run in 1st gear in safe mode.
In safe mode the engine tends to lope a idle. I learn this first hand at week one when a rat decided he liked the taste of the wiring.

S

samson7x

Dec 4, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Haha, have 2 dogs but they are worthless.

Wire reconnected and all is well, but how do I get the maintenance wrench light off now?

Reactions: strongbuilt
strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hold the button on the odometer and turn the key on and off twice

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Haha, have 2 dogs but they are worthless.

Wire reconnected and all is well, but how do I get the maintenance wrench light off now?
Get a Jack Russell, no more vermin issues!

R

rasorbackqq

Jun 11, 2017
Springfield NS Canada
Ownership

1. Big Red
On a side note we had mice eat a wire from a Accent wiring harness last year $3000 under insurance . We were told its more and more common now with all the soy based plastic on wire coatings.

S

samson7x

Dec 4, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
On a side note we had mice eat a wire from a Accent wiring harness last year $3000 under insurance . We were told its more and more common now with all the soy based plastic on wire coatings.

Interesting. Well, I got the bastard that messed with mine so he won't be chewing on anymore wires. Also discovered that he chewed my neoprene waders, half box of shotgun shells, and an ice chest. SOB cost me quite a bit of money....

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm getting a 5-2 code. Anyone know what that means? I checked all fuses and nothing is blown. I turned it on/off a few times and nothing resets, remains in 1st only. My UTV is basically new, only 150 easy miles on it. It's a non power steering model if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help.
Based on the codes, it is likely not reading the gear select position correctly. Could be from not firmly putting it into park or neutral etc. Could be the cable system actuated by the shift lever needs adjusted, and finally might be the sensor that detects it to be in park or neutral to start.

Might just try shifting the lever around making certain it is fully engaged in each location. Even try starting in H by putting foot on brake pedal when turning the key.

Also if seat belt isn't latched it will not go out of 1st gear limited to 15 mph, safety feature.

Mike129

Mike129

May 9, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Recently installed lighting, 2nd battery, isolator, bussman PDM, switch plate... Etc. Since then my pioneer 1000 has gone into limp mode a few times. I have the rear lights hooked into the reverse trigger and also switched so I can turn them on whenever I want also. Have a 52 inch light bar, interior lights, winch and rear lights on aux battery. I figured out today that when I turn the rear light switch on, the engine light begins to blink and put the machine into limp mode. I can run the other accessories without issue. Had a friend help with the wiring since I am pretty much illiterate when it comes to electrical work. Any ideas for me before I start tracing wires?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
When you switch on the rear lamps, you are likely somehow backfeeding the ECM and it sees an indication of being in both reverse and a forward gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Neohio
Mike129

Mike129

May 9, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you switch on the rear lamps, you are likely somehow backfeeding the ECM and it sees an indication of being in both reverse and a forward gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make sense. Ideas on how to fix it?

W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Recently installed lighting, 2nd battery, isolator, bussman PDM, switch plate... Etc. Since then my pioneer 1000 has gone into limp mode a few times. I have the rear lights hooked into the reverse trigger and also switched so I can turn them on whenever I want also. Have a 52 inch light bar, interior lights, winch and rear lights on aux battery. I figured out today that when I turn the rear light switch on, the engine light begins to blink and put the machine into limp mode. I can run the other accessories without issue. Had a friend help with the wiring since I am pretty much illiterate when it comes to electrical work. Any ideas for me before I start tracing wires?

How did you wire the manual switch ? You should just be switching the ground.

Reactions: lee

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!