P1000m5 Murphy’s Law

A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just returned home from our annual ice fishing trip to Canada and of course that guy Murphy had to appear once again!

To start the trip off I noticed when loading on the trailer that one of my a-arm brackets for the tracks had snapped. I was able to take it to a family friend along the drive to attempt to weld it. It worked for a few days but the weld eventually didn’t hold. I believe the bracket is cast.

Also on the trip up two of my windows from my CEC enclosure shattered. Best guess it was due to the cold temps and wind. I believe it was around 15 below and a 30 mph headwind. I was only towing around 65-70 mph. So much for the heater I installed a couple weeks prior! CEC will stand behind it but may be faster for me to take it to a local shop.

Speaking of the heater...I still need to do some more investigating. There’s a leak somewhere. I believe it’s in the core itself since all the connections look good. The leak ran down the reservoir which I believe allowed air to get into the system. Started to overheat in negative 30 temps. Luckily I had extra coolant along in case I never got all the air out from the heater install and was able to burp it on the ice and keep the reservoir full.

Of course with the minus 30 temps it didn’t start that morning. Had to jump it with the pickup. It did start the following morning in minus 15 temps though.

I was also plagued with the stinger freezing up. I’ve had this happen before so was prepared with my heat gun. Just another delay in trying to hit the ice for the morning bite.

Also the first first spot on the ice my starter froze up and wouldn’t crank. Again I’ve had this happen before so was prepared to put a little heat under the unit. Didn’t take too long before it started again. Just left it running the rest of the day. No issues the remaining trip. Sure would be nice to prevent this from happening again.

Overall it’s par for the course. We’re usually wrenching on something on this trip and we’ll be going again next year. I guess we’re gluttons for punishment! We did manage some nice fish but not the numbers as the previous year.

73e2deb8d44d114c4ade072a95568720

C130775e3ea4358b45888d2a583cee4a

AVKO

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Holy crap things compounded quickly! You kept going and were able to still get some fishing in so I guess some kind of silver liner. I’m the type that things seem to go a little sideways too, learned to keep going and try to laugh it off later in memory. Even a bad experience leads to better good ones because they are that much sweeter after dealing with the tough ones. Good job of pushing through!

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All the more reason to not live or visit those types of temps. Like to be warm! Lol. Sucks man, glad you got it done.

I’ve been saying for 3 years now that all these tips should have fully removable zip out windows. Sure would make your situation easier to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All the more reason to not live or visit those types of temps. Like to be warm! Lol. Sucks man, glad you got it done.

I’ve been saying for 3 years now that all these tips should have fully removable zip out windows. Sure would make your situation easier to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CEC will do zip out windows. If I ever have to replace mine I will purchase his option of fully zip out windows.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I never have to worry about this. At 15 below im not leaving the house.

Sucks all that happened. hard to enjoy yourself when always fixing something

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
You deserve a metal for perseverance, the temperature would have kept me indoors much less getting a part welded, burping the cooling system and thawing parts out. Not sure what heat gun you use Milwaukee makes a cordless one I have been eye balling it for the little bit of heat shrinking I do on my r/c hobby.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Kudos for sticking with it.

Are you considering an enclosed trailer now?

This is exactly why I bit the bullet a few years ago sold my 6x10 trailer and purchased an enclosed trailer.

A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You deserve a metal for perseverance, the temperature would have kept me indoors much less getting a part welded, burping the cooling system and thawing parts out. Not sure what heat gun you use Milwaukee makes a cordless one I have been eye balling it for the little bit of heat shrinking I do on my r/c hobby.

Thanks for the heads up on the cordless one. I’ll have to look into it.

AVKO

A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Kudos for sticking with it.

Are you considering an enclosed trailer now?

This is exactly why I bit the bullet a few years ago sold my 6x10 trailer and purchased an enclosed trailer.

I’ll likely have a hard cab for next season but also considering an enclosed trailer in addition. That way don’t have to strip the machine every evening. Likely have to get a custom trailer to accommodate the tracks but have also been keeping my eyes open for an enclosed snobear trailer.

AVKO

advertisement
A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Holy crap things compounded quickly! You kept going and were able to still get some fishing in so I guess some kind of silver liner. I’m the type that things seem to go a little sideways too, learned to keep going and try to laugh it off later in memory. Even a bad experience leads to better good ones because they are that much sweeter after dealing with the tough ones. Good job of pushing through!

For sure. It’s always entertaining telling the stories to the new guys of all the stuff we’ve had to fix on this trip. It’s part of the reason we bring half the garage along!

Only disappointment this trip was most of the issues were caused by or happened before we even got there!

AVKO

A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I never have to worry about this. At 15 below im not leaving the house.

Sucks all that happened. hard to enjoy yourself when always fixing something

Believe it or not it wasn’t that bad out...no wind! Also the performance ice gear has come a long ways. Our last day the wind picked up so we were forced to set the shelter up a couple times.

AVKO

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
For sure. It’s always entertaining telling the stories to the new guys of all the stuff we’ve had to fix on this trip. It’s part of the reason we bring half the garage along!

Only disappointment this trip was most of the issues were caused by or happened before we even got there!

AVKO
I hadn’t thought of that. But you still powered through