My 3 month P500 review

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Had my p5 for a solid 3 months now and felt the need to give my opinion. I'm loving my new sxs!

It's not the fastest bike on earth so let's just get that outta the way first. I've owned many machines in my 20 yrs of riding. From 50cc quads to 1000cc street bikes and a little of everything in between. What I have found is speed is relative to the riding application. And 40mph is plenty of top end for trail riding in my eyes.

I use my p5 primarily for plowing and hauling fire wood around my property. It's an amazing little machine to use for these purposes. I've plowed up to 12" of snow no problem. And it's great for grabbing wood because the 50" width and bed option make it so versatile.

I have found the p500 to be very durable and well built. I have a few friends and family members who are auto mechanics for 20+ yrs who love the construction and quality. It has takin my abuse for three months so I'm sold on the durability factor.

You can't beat Hondas reliable. We have had the coldest winter on record this year and I never worry about my machine not starting. Starts first turn of the key every time, no matter the temp. I had the tires frozen to the ground and the thing started like it was spring time.

Hope this review helps. Please ask me any questions you may have about the p5. I'd be happy to help.

Reactions: Mabe
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Great review. I am glad the P5 has fit your needs so well.
I agree about the speed. Where not in a drag race. We want to ride... and ride... and ride... and know we want have a issue getting back. Cant say the same for some of my friends.
It sure has been a cold winter. Record low, and last year this time we set a record high.
Cant wait till spring when we can really go riding again.
Look forward to your 6 and 12 month review.
Thanks.

S

slacker

Feb 21, 2015
I gotta add to this..
ive had mine about 5 months now and have it mainly for hunting and doing work around the lease and such, I came off a a rhino which I loved except a couple small things such as the bucket seats and over all noise level,and I have also had several 4 wheelers of various makes and models.
anyway this little rig is perfect for my wife and I , the size is perfect for tight trails cut by 4 wheelers over the years, it has a great over all stance with the 27's on it and great gearing . the ONLY things I have found to be a issue is the lack of storage, ( needs a glove box like the rhino) and the height of the bed ( tray) and lifting game, which so far has only been hogs, up onto it. so I just run the winch cable up over the roof and pull them up that way, Anyway this is going to be a very reliable and well built rig, it just has that feel to it. several friends have bought the Polaris mid size 570 or whatever it is and I looked at those. the build quality wasn't even close to my Honda, and this one has it right where the Polaris doesn't seem to be very well thought out in some areas. there was a lot of thought put in this rigs design and I am so glad to see Honda getting serious about the sxs market with the new 700 and 1000 pioneer although both are physically to big to use where I hunt.
I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I love this rig

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I second that, slacker! I've had mine for less than a month, but I cannot imagine a rig that would better suit my needs. I agree that more storage is a reasonable request. (I have a backpack strapped to the rear of my roll cage for small items.) The P500 can go anywhere an ATV can, and can haul/tow twice as much. The paddle shifting makes it fun to drive, and the true compression/engine braking, along with better weight distribution & roll cage, makes for safer riding in mountainous terrain. The quality is top notch, and is evident all through the available OEM accessories. I have no regrets in my purchase!

Reactions: mrjeff42
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I second that, slacker! I've had mine for less than a month, but I cannot imagine a rig that would better suit my needs. I agree that more storage is a reasonable request. (I have a backpack strapped to the rear of my roll cage for small items.) The P500 can go anywhere an ATV can, and can haul/tow twice as much. The paddle shifting makes it fun to drive, and the true compression/engine braking, along with better weight distribution & roll cage, makes for safer riding in mountainous terrain. The quality is top notch, and is evident all through the available OEM accessories. I have no regrets in my purchase!

I third that. NO STORAGE!!!.

Reactions: mrjeff42
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
I third that. NO STORAGE!!!.
Get the under hood storage from Lowes and the trash can from Walmart for under the drivers seat. Get both for under 10 dollars.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Get the under hood storage from Lowes and the trash can from Walmart for under the drivers seat. Get both for under 10 dollars.
That might work for you guys down in the lower 48, but it's over 500 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart or Lowes for this fat boy. Gotta improvise & adapt out here in the wilderness. Ha!

Reactions: Lenny
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
That might work for you guys down in the lower 48, but it's over 500 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart or Lowes for this fat boy. Gotta improvise & adapt out here in the wilderness. Ha!
Sorry man.Forgot about that.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Sorry man.Forgot about that.
No problem! I just have limited materials to work with. I can order most anything, but it's about a two-week lead time. It's also a pain to "fit" things out here through the mail. Shipping is ridiculous, and waiting is for the birds, so I either buy OEM that I know will fit, or work with what I can scrounge. I do, however, enjoy looking at you guy's "hacks". Keep up the good work!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'll Air drop you the boxs the next time i fly over! lol We have a Walmart! just no lowes:(

Reactions: p500fan
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
If I can hit a boat with a dewatering pump or a life raft, I am Sure I can Manage to drop it in town somewhere! lol

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Sxsnewbie Thanks for sharing your experience with the P500.

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Back with a 14 month review.. If you reference my 3 month review you can see I am very happy with my P5. After two services and a year of abuse my machine is running stronger then ever. It still starts first key turn, even in extreme cold. Still hauls plenty of firewood with no loss of power and still pushes a foot of snow no problem.
The only gripe I had was with the storage. However if you follow my postings at all you can see I have solved that problem rather easy. I purchased the $3 three gallon trash bin for under the seat, splurged on the OEM under hood trey and grabbed a cargo frame bag from quad boss. I have plenty of storage now!
The HONDA reliability and quality is well represented on the P500. I continue to be very happy with my purchase.

Side note: after a year I do not miss the top end speeds at all. I've been more then happy with the 40mph top speed.

Reactions: Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Back with a 14 month review.. If you reference my 3 month review you can see I am very happy with my P5. After two services and a year of abuse my machine is running stronger then ever. It still starts first key turn, even in extreme cold. Still hauls plenty of firewood with no loss of power and still pushes a foot of snow no problem.
The only gripe I had was with the storage. However if you follow my postings at all you can see I have solved that problem rather easy. I purchased the $3 three gallon trash bin for under the seat, splurged on the OEM under hood trey and grabbed a cargo frame bag from quad boss. I have plenty of storage now!
The HONDA reliability and quality is well represented on the P500. I continue to be very happy with my purchase.

Side note: after a year I do not miss the top end speeds at all. I've been more then happy with the 40mph top speed.
Yep, lol. I've had mine for eighteen months, never been over 35. Haven't needed to.

Reactions: Mudder
Nascar

Nascar

Feb 20, 2017
Cariboo, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Rubbermaid # FG295500BLA
I just did this mod yesterday, as I received my new P500 on Friday night.
If you trim the rear section of plastic frame, while retaining the 2 hook spots for rubber dust cover and then soften top area of trash can while pushing down and forming the upper section of trash can, you get a nice fit.
Height is 100% perfect, as once you use a heat gun and soften the bottom of trash can in area where it comes into contact with the brake line divider, the remaining of bottom rests on the frame.
I can take a few pic’s of it installed if anyone is interested.

Nascar

Nascar

Feb 20, 2017
Cariboo, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Forgot to mention I also trimmed off the small vertical plastic lip supports of trash can on both ends. Fully loaded with goodies and wheeling yesterday, nothing moved at all. I think the molding off bottom where it forms over brake divider helps stopping trash can from moving anywhere, even over rough terrain.
IMG 0045
IMG 0046
IMG 0047

Reactions: 500oneer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!