advertisement
Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know it's a OLD thread. I bought farmers longer cables a few years ago and they've been great until today. Thank goodness I can go back to these old topics and see what other peeps did. And l'm also glad that l'm a packrat and keep my old parts. Except for the sway bar......... worthless!!!!!

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While on this topic, I had installed brackets I purchased from PBR Products. They are well made, and I installed them with no problem. But after they were on, the tailgate end of the cable does not rotate on the shoulder bolt that goes through the bracket. I think I can tell, that the powder coating on the new brackets is thicker than the factory paint/coating.

So the shoulder on the shoulder bolt used to tighten against the bracket and the cable end would pivot. Now, the shoulder bolt is holding the cable end tight against the new bracket. I close the tailgate and the cable is in some weird loop. Very minor I know, but I may have to file the cable end a slight bit thinner so it will pivot. Or find a thinner washer?

Tailgate installed Tailgate

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I know it's a OLD thread. I bought farmers longer cables a few years ago and they've been great until today. Thank goodness I can go back to these old topics and see what other peeps did. And l'm also glad that l'm a packrat and keep my old parts. Except for the sway bar......... worthless!!!!!

What happened?

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
While on this topic, I had installed brackets I purchased from PBR Products. They are well made, and I installed them with no problem. But after they were on, the tailgate end of the cable does not rotate on the shoulder bolt that goes through the bracket. I think I can tell, that the powder coating on the new brackets is thicker than the factory paint/coating.

So the shoulder on the shoulder bolt used to tighten against the bracket and the cable end would pivot. Now, the shoulder bolt is holding the cable end tight against the new bracket. I close the tailgate and the cable is in some weird loop. Very minor I know, but I may have to file the cable end a slight bit thinner so it will pivot. Or find a thinner washer?

View attachment 325723 View attachment 325724
l would just shave a little bit off the eyelet. lt's not gonna hurt a thing. What will hurt is your cable bending funky all the time, then it will get brittle and snap.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!