My wife wants a KRX(Talon X Suspension info)

Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Over the weekend we rode with a group in the Ozarks of Arkansas which are a lot of rocky trails. Someone had a 2021 Kawasaki KRX and said it rode like a Cadillac through all of these rocks. He gave me the opportunity to try it out so my wife and I rode it down a rocky road and it did ride very smooth compared to my 2019 Talon X2 non live valve which brings me here. I have already installed the Bandit tender springs on my Talon, which did help give it a smoother ride, however it does not compare to the KRX.

For those of you that have experience with Bandit Springs full replacement and/or Shock therapy spring replacement stage 1/stage 2, do any of these options help the Talon X2 non live valve compare to something like this KRX or other softer riding SXSs?

As you see in the title, after this test ride, my wife wants me to fix our harsh riding Talon or replace it. :(

Any help or suggestions on this topic other than trading it in will be greatly appreciated. @Josh97stang will also appreciate it because he is in the same situation. :p

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Over the weekend we rode with a group in the Ozarks of Arkansas which are a lot of rocky trails. Someone had a 2021 Kawasaki KRX and said it rode like a Cadillac through all of these rocks. He gave me the opportunity to try it out so my wife and I rode it down a rocky road and it did ride very smooth compared to my 2019 Talon X2 non live valve which brings me here. I have already installed the Bandit tender springs on my Talon, which did help give it a smoother ride, however it does not compare to the KRX.

For those of you that have experience with Bandit Springs full replacement and/or Shock therapy spring replacement stage 1/stage 2, do any of these options help the Talon X2 non live valve compare to something like this KRX or other softer riding SXSs?

As you see in the title, after this test ride, my wife wants me to fix our harsh riding Talon or replace it. :(

Any help or suggestions on this topic other than trading it in will be greatly appreciated. @Josh97stang will also appreciate it because he is in the same situation. :p
What did you think about the blazing heat on your legs and the 5000 RPMS while cruising at 20 MPH?

Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What did you think about the blazing heat on your legs and the 5000 RPMS while cruising at 20 MPH?
We didn't ride it that long. The guy that owned it did mention he could cook something on it. I'm sure that the heat issue could be fixed pretty easy. We just rode a couple hundred yards over a rock road and it didn't feel like it was going to buck us out.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I am a Honda fan but I would buy your wife a KRX if that's what she wants.
I like Honda but they need update the Talon and the Pioneer, they produce this half baked crap that for the most part last pretty good but they expect the consumer to replace the spring and revalve the shocks so it rides as good as there competition 🤷🤷🤷
It was said before happy wife happy life ,buy the KRX!
come on Honda wake up!!!
You snooze you lose.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am a Honda fan but I would buy your wife a KRX if that's what she wants.
I like Honda but they need update the Talon and the Pioneer, they produce this half baked crap that for the most part last pretty good but they expect the consumer to replace the spring and revalve the shocks so it rides as good as there competition 🤷🤷🤷
It was said before happy wife happy life ,buy the KRX!
come on Honda wake up!!!
You snooze you lose.
No dog in this, but it seems the KRX crew are replacing the factory springs on theirs too.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I would recommend either getting your shocks serviced and rebuilt to your specification including new springs. Alternatively they also sell upgraded shock kits that have proper internal bypass and bottom out cups that the OEM shocks do not have. By not having bottom out cups the OEM shocks have to run an exceptionally stiff spring (read harsh ride) in order to perform without the bottom out cups. Additionally, definitely get proper nitrogen valves in the shocks and lose the OEM rubber butt plugs.

Oh the shock therapy guy, he's full of himself. Only slightly more qualified as a surgeon than Bill Gates.

Get them done by the company that knows best:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

The ride on the KRX is far superior to even the ride on the X4 Live Valve which I own…..

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No dog in this, but it seems the KRX crew are replacing the factory springs on theirs too.
Me as you in no dog! Wait I have 2 black lab dogs🤔 anyway.... I like the size of the KRX but the noise at crusing speeds in one of our members ride my wife and I drove for about 25 miles ill tell you...JHC was louder than 2 of my snowmobiles that are belt drive and the wife was like negative for that! Fyi, the member was warring ear plugs.Might be for you, but make sure she's experienced all factors and 100% happy before you make that move! A lot of cabbage both ways to stop and say......Oh Chit!!!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just for clarity 30-35 mph cruising speed was @ 7k+ish RPM in that KRX to what I remembered.
P1K5 is about 4-4500 rpm @ that speed. I would assume the talon is close to that.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
32" Tusk Terrabites. We have them at 12psi.

That seems reasonable to me- i wouldnt think theres a ton of room for improvement there.

So I came off a XP1000 to a Pioneer, so I might not be the guy to ask but IMO for the riding we do (Hatfield McCoy mostly), the sport suspension wasnt necessary.

Now my father on the other hand, disagrees and just went out and bought a new KRX. All factory- we ran about 100 miles on it last Friday going from Devil's Backbone ATV resort, up through Rockhouse to Man, WV. There are certainly some sections that beat you to death on that trail, and the KRX did handle quite well even at speeds around 20mph on that trail, however I wouldn't own one over my Pioneer 1000-5. I'm running 29 inch Bighorns on factory wheels, stock deluxe suspension and my personal opinion is that the extra speed I can move through some of that stuff is not worth the noise produced by the KRX. If you are going above 10-12 mph, you cant talk to your passenger in the stock format.

I have been doing some reading for dad and it looks like with clutch weights, springs, and maybe a tune you can lower the RPMs and with it the noise, but it definitely is something to be aware of. If the noise is an issue, aren't you just working on different parts of your new machine? Really better than just fine tuning your Talon suspension?

Of course all this is going to be dependent on your preferences and your riding style/terrain. For me, in that setting, the KRX suspension is definitely better, its just that the noise was a deal breaker for me. Had I the option of taking Dad's KRX or my 1000-5, I'd take my machine every time.

I will say the KRX is in my opinion, way more comfortable inside than the Talon I rented out in Moab. If you are a mildly large human (6' 240lbs here), theres no comparison in the way of "elbow room".

Just a few of the trade offs I noticed from driving all three machines though. At the end of the day i agree with everyone that has noted the old adage-

happy wife happy life!

also the idea that your wife is trying to talk you into selling one 25k machine to buy another 25k machine feels like a win in my book 🤣

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
32" Tusk Terrabites. We have them at 12psi.
WAY too much pressure. Drop down to 7 front and 9 rear with 32" TB's.

Changing the tender springs is nothing more than a Band-Aid, the problem is in the valving.

Weller shock spring/re-valve made mine a totally different machine. Rides like a Cadillac. However, I have never driven a KRX so I cannot offer any comparison.

Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks to the ones that provided recommendations. I love my Talon and do not want to buy anything else which is why I started this thread.

We are going to look at the Weller system recommended by @PaulF and @Fyathyrio and also adjust our tire pressure. I wasn't aware of the Weller Racing folks until now.

@dnjones161 TY for your information as well. I'd much rather fix my Talon that buy a KRX and have to fix its flaws. And yes, it is a win that she is thinking this way.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Could always do the Jsport 77” suspension, shocks and uprights. 😝

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!