Weller Racing shock overhaul, it's a beautiful thing

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Tl:dr I got some stock 2019 Talon R springs for free if you want to pay actual shipping.

While I didn't find a dedicated thread here, I have seen many comments on the ride improvements Weller provides and thought they would be a good choice for me, too. I just got back from a visit to Weller Racing, near Phoenix, in a 118* heat wave . . . but everything is better now with the new shocks! The sunset is more epic, the deer have larger racks, the girls have larger racks, and the flowers smell better! 🤣

All kidding aside, My 1st ride last night was awesome. The shock upgrades have improved everything about my 2019 Talon R ride and handling. I have a little over 6,000 miles on my machine, and the bad Honda shock design was really obvious with the age. Between added weight and use, my ground clearance was down to about 11.5" rear & 12" front despite running 30" Terrabites. The way the shocks were banging & reacting to the trail made me suspect the N2 charge had leaked out of the stupid condom Honda spec'd Fox to use. Chatter & washboard rattled my fillings and led to headaches. Small bumps on the trail that my stock Jeep Cherokee could handle shook the whole machine as if hit by a wrecking ball. In other words, the crappy stock shocks did not age well.

I have no experience with tuning shocks or adjusting suspensions for dirt or racing. My suspension knowledge is limited to bolting on Jeep lift kits, or setting spring preload on road motorcycles back in the 80s & 90s. My main concerns, and reasons for delaying this upgrade, were possible bad side effects such as increased body roll or pogoing too much with the perceived increased travel & softer setup. Finally, I bit the bullet and called Weller a month or two back to make the appointment for June 15th, as I was anticipating adding even more weight to my Talon with the Milwaukee Packout setup and a Dirt Road Fab tire carrier/bed extender. All told, I'll soon have 200# plus sitting over the rear axle or hanging off the back, including my existing JEI Rotopax fuel rack above the bed with 6 gal of gas and a couple gal water.

When I got to Weller, the staff were all friendly, and bonus points for an office dog! :) I was taken back into the shop, where all my questions & concerns were addressed before work began. They jumped on my machine like having an appointment actually meant something, which was nice. The Jack Daddy jack I just got works by replacing the lower shock bolt with pins & adapters the jack attaches to; they were happy to put those on for me in the course of the repairs. Not a big deal, but they could have declined for vague liability reasons or whatever. In under three hours, they were done and I was loading the Talon up on my trailer.

When I called & made the appointment, the Weller staff worked with me to understand my riding style, what upgrades I'd made to the Talon, trail types mostly seen, any planned future upgrades, etc; all to better understand my needs. The 1st dude I spoke with made a plan that deviated from their normal path, so he then had a 2nd dude check his work and call me to verify the plan and my needs. With my future build in mind, they actually changed springs from their usual Talon ones to heavier ones they normally use for a YXZ to better support my machine's load and work with my riding style. VERY impressive service, to say the least. Seems their plan is correct, as the first ride last night was much better than my Talon was brand new!

Out the door, ride height is now level and at ~15in. This will give the suspension room to actually move up & down & react to the trail, but it sure felt odd when I first climbed in after all that time sitting back and low and only around a foot off the ground. In theory, this added ride height should narrow the wheelbase a bit, thus improving handling, turning, & trail clearance, too. Weller is in a business park and they don't have a test trail nearby, instead, I put it on the trailer and headed back home. Every aspect of my experience with Weller, from first phone call to final handshake, was pleasant. The promises of follow-on care seemed genuine and I'm sure any future questions I may have will be answered quickly and completely. Since the tire carrier and packout setup were not installed, we know there will be future adjustments needed once another 150# or so are added, and Weller will be there to help when I call . . . of this I have no doubt.

OK, about the ride . . . you must remember that the new suspension is NOT set up properly, I still have a lot of weight to add to the rear. When I do install the new stuff, Weller will be there with the needed adjustments to maintain proper ride height & preload and whatnot. Despite this, every aspect of riding has been greatly improved! I did a 50ish mile loop with all the trail stuff I run across other than the occasional rock crawl, all trails I had ridden dozens of times and that I was very familiar with. Over every type of trail, I could feel the suspension working, and all the negative concerns I feared did not come to pass.

First up was some medium chatter stuff, things a little larger and further spaced than washboard, stuff that felt like they turned the stock Talon shocks into solid rods at about 30MPH. The stock setup bouncing was so bad that directional control was hampered. With Weller, I cruised right over, and noticed I was going a bit faster than usual, too.

Next come some driveway & dirt road transitions across my trail. Not exactly ramps, but I guess you can get air if going fast enough. They would buck the stock setup rear badly, and I would have to slow down to 25ish normally. The Weller setup handled these with zero drama, I felt like a Trophy Truck soaking up crazy landings.

Now I'm trusting the suspension a bit more, and I'm coming to my favorite series of whoops. A couple of smooth edged ditches and a road transition closely spaced that are like a dirty roller coaster at around 35MPH. If I hit it much faster with stock stuff, it can go badly wrong. I hit the first whoop and instantly got concerned because daylight disappeared as the front end dove down. I had a brief thought of "Hmmmmm, that's never happened before." and was expecting a jarring crunch. Turns out, when suspension actually moves through it's travel, it soaks up bumps and you go down the trail without any drama! :D The shocks cushioned the bottom transition without passing any jolt to the frame or people inside . . . nice! I also realized I was going a bit faster here, too.

The rest of the ride was more of the same, I could feel suspension working without passing much into the cab. I found myself going a little faster everywhere because it just felt better. One of my favorite things to do is drift and rear steer up the mountains, this was improved, too. The back end worked better, the two sides worked together, with breaking loose and drifting turns easier and more predictable than the stock shocks that fought each other. High speed twisty paved roads, no probs. Rough & rocky trails, no probs. 2 miles elevation, no probs. Rough but convenient connector trail that I hated, no probs. (is fun now!) Everything I did was faster, yet more comfortable. Body roll, not a concern. Pogoing, not a concern. Bad valving making the stock shocks become solid when I had the balls to actually hit a bump, not a concern.

Overall, this was definitely worth the $1600ish it cost. That sounds like a lot until you break it down . . . 8 new springs, 2.5 hrs labor, new valves and oil, pro test/tune & setup, ride height & pre-load adjustment, and actual schrader valves. My floppy stock adjuster knobs are firm again, too. One random thought I had while enjoying the new ride quality is that the whole machine will last longer because it's not being punished with a rough ride any longer.

Last edited:
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thank you for that detailed report! That sounds very encouraging. While I find my Talon's ride to be tolerable, I am considering making improvements, as I know there is much to gain. I am less than 2 hours from either Weller or Shock Therapy. I am hearing that Weller provides a little better customer service. Keep us posted as you load up your machine and rack up some miles on the new setup!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Tl:dr I got some stock 2019 Talon R springs for free if you want to pay actual shipping.

While I didn't find a dedicated thread here, I have seen many comments on the ride improvements Weller provides and thought they would be a good choice for me, too. I just got back from a visit to Weller Racing, near Phoenix, in a 118* heat wave . . . but everything is better now with the new shocks! The sunset is more epic, the deer have larger racks, the girls have larger racks, and the flowers smell better! 🤣

All kidding aside, My 1st ride last night was awesome. The shock upgrades have improved everything about my 2019 Talon R ride and handling. I have a little over 6,000 miles on my machine, and the bad Honda shock design was really obvious with the age. Between added weight and use, my ground clearance was down to about 11.5" rear & 12" front despite running 30" Terrabites. The way the shocks were banging & reacting to the trail made me suspect the N2 charge had leaked out of the stupid condom Honda spec'd Fox to use. Chatter & washboard rattled my fillings and led to headaches. Small bumps on the trail that my stock Jeep Cherokee could handle shook the whole machine as if hit by a wrecking ball. In other words, the crappy stock shocks did not age well.

I have no experience with tuning shocks or adjusting suspensions for dirt or racing. My suspension knowledge is limited to bolting on Jeep lift kits, or setting spring preload on road motorcycles back in the 80s & 90s. My main concerns, and reasons for delaying this upgrade, were possible bad side effects such as increased body roll or pogoing too much with the perceived increased travel & softer setup. Finally, I bit the bullet and called Weller a month or two back to make the appointment for June 15th, as I was anticipating adding even more weight to my Talon with the Milwaukee Packout setup and a Dirt Road Fab tire carrier/bed extender. All told, I'll soon have 200# plus sitting over the rear axle or hanging off the back, including my existing JEI Rotopax fuel rack above the bed with 6 gal of gas and a couple gal water.

When I got to Weller, the staff were all friendly, and bonus points for an office dog! :) I was taken back into the shop, where all my questions & concerns were addressed before work began. They jumped on my machine like having an appointment actually meant something, which was nice. The Jack Daddy jack I just got works by replacing the lower shock bolt with pins & adapters the jack attaches to; they were happy to put those on for me in the course of the repairs. Not a big deal, but they could have declined for vague liability reasons or whatever. In under three hours, they were done and I was loading the Talon up on my trailer.

When I called & made the appointment, the Weller staff worked with me to understand my riding style, what upgrades I'd made to the Talon, trail types mostly seen, any planned future upgrades, etc; all to better understand my needs. The 1st dude I spoke with made a plan that deviated from their normal path, so he then had a 2nd dude check his work and call me to verify the plan and my needs. With my future build in mind, they actually changed springs from their usual Talon ones to heavier ones they normally use for a YXZ to better support my machine's load and work with my riding style. VERY impressive service, to say the least. Seems their plan is correct, as the first ride last night was much better than my Talon was brand new!

Out the door, ride height is now level and at ~15in. This will give the suspension room to actually move up & down & react to the trail, but it sure felt odd when I first climbed in after all that time sitting back and low and only around a foot off the ground. In theory, this added ride height should narrow the wheelbase a bit, thus improving handling, turning, & trail clearance, too. Weller is in a business park and they don't have a test trail nearby, instead, I put it on the trailer and headed back home. Every aspect of my experience with Weller, from first phone call to final handshake, was pleasant. The promises of follow-on care seemed genuine and I'm sure any future questions I may have will be answered quickly and completely. Since the tire carrier and packout setup were not installed, we know there will be future adjustments needed once another 150# or so are added, and Weller will be there to help when I call . . . of this I have no doubt.

OK, about the ride . . . you must remember that the new suspension is NOT set up properly, I still have a lot of weight to add to the rear. When I do install the new stuff, Weller will be there with the needed adjustments to maintain proper ride height & preload and whatnot. Despite this, every aspect of riding has been greatly improved! I did a 50ish mile loop with all the trail stuff I run across other than the occasional rock crawl, all trails I had ridden dozens of times and that I was very familiar with. Over every type of trail, I could feel the suspension working, and all the negative concerns I feared did not come to pass.

First up was some medium chatter stuff, things a little larger and further spaced than washboard, stuff that felt like they turned the stock Talon shocks into solid rods at about 30MPH. The stock setup bouncing was so bad that directional control was hampered. With Weller, I cruised right over, and noticed I was going a bit faster than usual, too.

Next come some driveway & dirt road transitions across my trail. Not exactly ramps, but I guess you can get air if going fast enough. They would buck the stock setup rear badly, and I would have to slow down to 25ish normally. The Weller setup handled these with zero drama, I felt like a Trophy Truck soaking up crazy landings.

Now I'm trusting the suspension a bit more, and I'm coming to my favorite series of whoops. A couple of smooth edged ditches and a road transition closely spaced that are like a dirty roller coaster at around 35MPH. hit it much faster with stock stuff and it can go badly wrong. I hit the first whoop and instantly got concerned because daylight disappeared as the front end dove down. I had a brief thought of "Hmmmmm, that's never happened before." and was expecting a jarring crunch. Turns out, when suspension actually moves through it's travel, it soaks up bumps and you go down the trail without any drama! :D The shocks cushioned the bottom transition without passing any jolt to the frame or people inside . . . nice! I also realized I was going a bit faster here, too.

The rest of the ride was more of the same, I could feel suspension working without passing much into the cab. I found myself going a little faster everywhere because it just felt better. One of my favorite things to do is drift and rear steer up the mountains, this was improved, too. The back end worked better, the two sides worked together, with breaking loose and drifting turns easier and more predictable than the stock shocks that fought each other. High speed twisty paved roads, no probs. Rough & rocky trails, no probs. 2 miles elevation, no probs. Rough but convenient connector trail that I hated, no probs. (is fun now!) Everything I did was faster, yet more comfortable. Body roll, not a concern. Pogoing, not a concern. Bad valving making the stock shocks become solid when I had the balls to actually hit a bump, not a concern.

Overall, this was definitely worth the $1600ish it cost. That sounds like a lot until you break it down . . . 8 new springs, 2.5 hrs labor, new valves and oil, pro test/tune & setup, ride height & pre-load adjustment, and actual schrader valves. My floppy stock adjuster knobs are firm again, too. One random thought I had while enjoying the new ride quality is that the whole machine will last longer because it's not being punished with a rough ride any longer.
I take it they rebuilt the stock Fox shocks? Good shocks will make any ATV better. Happy trails!

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Great Review. Pretty sure that's my next major upgrade!
It's definitely worth it!
I take it they rebuilt the stock Fox shocks? Good shocks will make any ATV better. Happy trails!
Yes, while Honda specs cheaped out on everything from preload adjuster rings to schrader valves, the basic body and shaft are fine. Weller just replaced the internal valving to tune it for my needs. The stock 1-2-3 ride adjuster knob is still there, I set it on 2 for last night's ride and was happy enough to not mess with it.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's definitely worth it!

Yes, while Honda specs cheaped out on everything from preload adjuster rings to schrader valves, the basic body and shaft are fine. Weller just replaced the internal valving to tune it for my needs. The stock 1-2-3 ride adjuster knob is still there, I set it on 2 for last night's ride and was happy enough to not mess with it.
Terrific write up, thanks. 👍 I have already put a deposit with Weller, have the 'same' 200 pounds added to the rear and was told I'd need a heavier spring than they usually use; glad that you went there first. I'll be back in AZ this fall to have mine done, they had to order springs and they hadn't shown up before I left - my fault for not putting my order in sooner but I didn't know my schedule earlier.

I was going to let them do all the work at once but trying to keep up with @Lil_Steve squished my rear preload bad enough (lost almost 3" ground clearance (and I already had the preload 'pretty tight' :oops:)) that I'll have Weller send the springs here, I'll install them and ride with the stock valving until I get back (after the HEAT leaves 🥵 🥵 🥵).

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the stock R shocks worked (only 1000 miles) when I was riding with Steve. It was the first time I've rung the Talon's neck and it represented itself well. I've heard Honda set them up for the desert and mine didn't disappoint but I'm sure the internals aren't up to this level of 'enthusiasm'. 😊

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have gone this route myself and whole heartedly agree with all of it. BUT i believe my lower springs in the rear are to soft and to short. I cannot get ride heighth and i very easily bottom on long steep up hills- small rocks get to be large ones! When our summer tour is over, i will call Weller's and do as they reccomend. I expect their customer service to be stellar. Should have 8000 miles on them by then, likely due for a seal kit by then any way

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have gone this route myself and whole heartedly agree with all of it. BUT i believe my lower springs in the rear are to soft and to short. I cannot get ride heighth and i very easily bottom on long steep up hills- small rocks get to be large ones! When our summer tour is over, i will call Weller's and do as they reccomend. I expect their customer service to be stellar. Should have 8000 miles on them by then, likely due for a seal kit by then any way
What's your estimate on added weight over stock? Spare tire, storage box?

Reactions: Smitty335
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Terrific write up, thanks. 👍 I have already put a deposit with Weller, have the 'same' 200 pounds added to the rear and was told I'd need a heavier spring than they usually use; glad that you went there first. I'll be back in AZ this fall to have mine done, they had to order springs and they hadn't shown up before I left - my fault for not putting my order in sooner but I didn't know my schedule earlier.

I was going to let them do all the work at once but trying to keep up with @Lil_Steve squished my rear preload bad enough (lost almost 3" ground clearance (and I already had the preload 'pretty tight' :oops:)) that I'll have Weller send the springs here, I'll install them and ride with the stock valving until I get back (after the HEAT leaves 🥵 🥵 🥵).

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the stock R shocks worked (only 1000 miles) when I was riding with Steve. It was the first time I've rung the Talon's neck and it represented itself well. I've heard Honda set them up for the desert and mine didn't disappoint but I'm sure the internals aren't up to this level of 'enthusiasm'. 😊
Yeah, when you hit that very narrow & specific Talon suspension sweet spot of hauling butt on smoother desert trails, it does work nicely . . . but the Weller setup is still oodles better than even that Honda tuned range, you won't be sorry.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah, when you hit that very narrow & specific Talon suspension sweet spot of hauling butt on smoother desert trails, it does work nicely . . . but the Weller setup is still oodles better than even that Honda tuned range, you won't be sorry.
I rode stock Japanese dual sport motorcycle suspensions for decades, thinking 'how bad could it be? ' That was until I had suspension work done - holy crap, just a few hundred dollars made an unimaginable difference. :oops: I had no doubt when I bought the Talon that it was getting the suspension done ASAP. Regardless of how good it was stock, there would be a lot left on the table.

Sacking out the stock springs really surprised me, I'm not normally 'that guy' - it's Lil_Steve's fault. :p

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R

Now I'm trusting the suspension a bit more, and I'm coming to my favorite series of whoops. A couple of smooth edged ditches and a road transition closely spaced that are like a dirty roller coaster at around 35MPH. If I hit it much faster with stock stuff, it can go badly wrong. I hit the first whoop and instantly got concerned because daylight disappeared as the front end dove down. I had a brief thought of "Hmmmmm, that's never happened before." and was expecting a jarring crunch. Turns out, when suspension actually moves through it's travel, it soaks up bumps and you go down the trail without any drama! :D The shocks cushioned the bottom transition without passing any jolt to the frame or people inside . . . nice! I also realized I was going a bit faster here, too.

Thanks for the detailed write up. The body roll issue is what has been holding me up on doing this. Like you I am just over 6k miles and i think it’s time. When I did my rzr 1000 body roll got a lot worse, but smoothed out everything else. So did you get more body roll, but not bad or was it no extra or was it better? Did they use eibach springs?

did you go with the increased capacity caps with the schreader valves?

Mind if I ask how did you made the decision between Weller and ST?

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the detailed write up. The body roll issue is what has been holding me up on doing this. Like you I am just over 6k miles and i think it’s time. When I did my rzr 1000 body roll got a lot worse, but smoothed out everything else. So did you get more body roll, but not bad or was it no extra or was it better? Did they use eibach springs?

You should consider an upgraded anti sway bar to help reduce body roll if it's an issue. I have the Eibach 25mm anti sway bar coupled with an Andy McCoy quick release sway bar link. The Eibach bar has 3 positions so between that and being able to fully disconnect when I want full articulation it covers my needs pretty well.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Body roll is a tough call, it feels like a little tiny bit more, but it feels more controlled. Sliding the ass end on a tight trail turn seems to have less roll than a similar speed corner on pavement as odd as that sounds. Basically it seems the rear sides work better together. Overall it feels better to me.

My springs have a WR symbol with a part #, I don't know who actually makes them behind the scenes, but it's not the shop I visited. They also wrapped the shocks in protective velcroed-on covers, I only pulled one off to check cuz annoying to put back on.

I did get the schraeder caps, I'm pretty sure the stupid condom Honda used had leaked all the N2 out of the old ones.

I think my main reason for going with Weller came down to the ego of ST. His vids and comments seemed to be more of "I KNOW what you need!" while WR seemed more "How can we best meet your needs?" A few folks commented that ST seemed more race oriented and their setups seemed biased that way. While I enjoy going fast, and I am going faster with the new setup, I am far from a racer and want the shocks to work well when I slow down, too. Because of cost and level of commitment, I not only accepted comments from other buyers at face value, I also researched their riding location and style to see if that matched mine, too. In the end it was a close decision, but initial impressions are that I made a good one.

Last night was a 100 mile ride with tons of true washboard roads. I sailed along at 50MPH without a care in the world other than hoping the occasional bunny in the road would move in time. One thing I noticed was how much quieter the new shock setup is compared to stock. All that thumping & banging right behind my head is gone now.

Last edited:
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Body roll is a tough call, it feels like a little tiny bit more, but it feels more controlled. Sliding the ass end on a tight trail turn seems to have less roll than a similar speed corner on pavement as odd as that sounds. Basically it seems the rear sides work better together. Overall it feels better to me.

My springs have a WR symbol with a part #, I don't know who actually makes them behind the scenes, but it's not the shop I visited. They also wrapped the shocks in protective velcroed-on covers, I only pulled one off to check cuz annoying to put back on.

I did get the schraeder caps, I'm pretty sure the stupid condom Honda used had leaked all the N2 out of the old ones.

I think my main reason for going with Weller came down to the ego of ST. His vids and comments seemed to be more of "I KNOW what you need!" while WR seemed more "How can we best meet your needs?" A few folks commented that ST seemed more race oriented and their setups seemed biased that way. While I enjoy going fast, and I am going faster with the new setup, I am far from a racer and want the shocks to work well when I slow down, too. Because of cost and level of commitment, I not only accepted comments from other buyers at face value, I also researched their riding location and style to see if that matched mine, too. In the end it was a close decision, but initial impressions are that I made a good one.

Last night was a 100 mile ride with tons of true washboard roads. I sailed along at 50MPH without a care in the world other than hoping the occasional bunny in the road would move in time. One thing I noticed was how much quieter the new shock setup is compared to stock. All that thumping & banging right behind my head is gone now.
Thanks man!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
but everything is better now with the new shocks! The sunset is more epic, the deer have larger racks, the girls have larger racks, and the flowers smell better! 🤣
😂😂😂

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Last night I installed my Dirt Road Fab bed extender, so tonight I loaded it up and went for a ride. I added about 200 lbs overall, the DRF rack, 3 gal gas, 2 gal water, spare tire, and the Milwaukee Pack Out large case with many tools. The suspension worked just as nice as when the Talon was lightly loaded. I could hardly tell the difference shock-wise, but I could really feel the weight when drifting turns, that much stuff hanging out past the frame/axle gets some momentum going. Only thing left to do is measure how much height I lost with the added weight and adjust the shocks to get it back. Weller really nailed it with this setup.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!