Weller 1000X-4 Shock Tune

Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a 1000X-4 non-LV and I've got questions for all you folks who know stuff about shock tuning.
I've read that a lot of folks are pleased with Weller's shock tuning for their two seat machines. But I have not read any reviews about tuning for a X-4

Weller Racing offers Dual Rate Spring and Shock Internal Modification Package for 1000X Models (2 seaters):
They also offer Dual Rate Shock Tuning and Setup Package for X-4 models:

The 1000X-4 package appears to be shock tuning only, no springs. I called Weller and asked for their recommendation but received conflicting information:
  • Over the phone, they stated that they probably do not have springs "stiff enough" for a X-4 and that shock tuning only would suffice for my driving style (trail/crawling).
  • I filled out their "shock tuning info sheet" with a heavy emphasis on trail/crawling. However, over email, they recommended the spring and tuning package. I emailed them back asking for clarification but haven't received a response.
Do I need dual rate setup? Can Weller provide this for a non-live valve X-4?
Or will a main+tender setup (tuned properly) work just fine?

80% of my riding is rock crawling. 20% is dirt/rocky roads to get to the crawling trails.
I don't ride fast or bomb through the desert.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not sure about the X LV setup but the 'normal' X doesn't have the dual springs + crossover ring setup. Dual springs + crossovers have been used on virtually every off road racer for decades, it's definitely worth the cost. If the X LV already has crossovers, you're good in that respect.

I can't help with your other questions though.

Reactions: Jon M
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'd recommend Double E Racing or G-Force Suspension for your shock tuning needs. While Weller might be slightly better than TS, they are still not someone I'd call for tuning. Stick with the people that tune shocks for a living, not the people just trying to make a buck selling parts and you will be very satisfied with the results.

prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you are trying to stay around home. Schmidty Racing in Mesa. is by far one of the good ones. ST ripped me off first. Then Jason Weller lied to my face and did not do anything he talked about. They do not know Honda's. Yes double E is REALLY good. I just got my race car back and amazed at how well it is. At Schmidty Racing the owner has a 4 seater Talon X that they have played with. I know they are other but the price was vary fair( really Good) and they hit it the first time. Weller is a Yamaha guy he cost me too much money, did nothing and lied to me.
Middle of next month is out first race so we shall see.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693 and CID
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Tramguage1

Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I also need the spring rates for a 1000X4 non-LV.
Ive searched the interwebs and cannot find anything.
Spring part numbers are:
Front Upper: 039-00-501-6
Front Lower: 039-00-502-6
Rear Upper: 039-00-503-6
Rear Lower: 039-00-504-6

mannysgalaxy

mannysgalaxy

Lifetime Member
Sep 14, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
personally i'm going with king 3.0/2.5s. comes with full onsite tuning. maybe we can piggy back and get some points off :) pricey but what ya gonna do

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I also need the spring rates for a 1000X4 non-LV.
Ive searched the interwebs and cannot find anything.
Spring part numbers are:
Front Upper: 039-00-501-6
Front Lower: 039-00-502-6
Rear Upper: 039-00-503-6
Rear Lower: 039-00-504-6

Those part #'s don't mean anything rate wise. Best way to find out what they are is to pull them off and bring them to a local race shop and pay them to have them tested. Most circle track and road race shops will have coil spring testers on site and can help you out.

Edit: I bet if you called George at Double E or Gary at G-Force they would both have that information on hand. I'd try them first

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Compared to what?
Tried the Bandit tender springs first, put 100 miles on them. Next Shock Therapy full spring package,last 200 miles. Then was headed to Phoenix so I dropped them.off at Weller. Weller was my last try, if that didn't work ,the Talon would have been sold. At 60+ years old my back couldn't take.any.more of the abuse!!

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
They did a good job on mine as well. Big difference from stock!
ANYTHING is better than stock, lol, just saying

went down the bandit spring road, that was better but still a fail, then revalve, new springs, made it a 7.5 - so better, disconnect sway bay, 8.5......

Reactions: Tramguage1 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!