Mystery Noise PK-3

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I thought I would share my recent experience with an intermittent aggravating noise. About 2-3 weeks ago I started hearing a clicking noise in my 8 month old 2021 machine with 700+ miles. At first I thought it was because I was wearing my newly issued hearing aides. That wasn't the problem. I then looked at it as a possible engine noise. It wasn't. Then if it was a noise while moving, under acceleration, coasting, whatever. Didn't appear to be anything with the drive train. I looked at the door net buckles, the doors, everything around the bed, SATV windshield, Honda roof, seat belt buckles. I taped things, wired tied things, inserted bicycle inner tube between things. If I could have picked it up and shook it, I would have. It did sound sort of like a piece of road gravel was just rolling around. I didn't think anything was serious and I was really at the point of trying to ignore it until something really did developed.

So I was sort of leaning on the roof, arms over my head, just staring into the cab and when I moved, I heard a click. A little more tugging and pushing and Viola!!! I could reproduce the Clicks. Upon further examination the Honda roof clamps, particularly the ones in the back needed tightening. Both the clamps in the rear took 3 turns and two of the clamps in the front corners needed 2 turns. So, all four corners took a bit of adjusting.

I installed the roof and windshield myself, as I did on my P500. I may go check it today.

FWIW

s/f Steve

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you decide to Loctite those screws note that Loctite kills plastic, turns it brittle - so don't let the two touch each other.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Like i tell my apprentices. Always look at the easy stuff first and get that out if the way or you’ll go insane! Work Smarter Not Harder I always say! Glad you found your issue

Reactions: BBB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!