Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've heard it said many times, that you cannot (should not) use your winch to secure the front of a wheeler/SxS when trailering, because "winches are not made for dynamic loads, therefore you will damage your winch".

I've been doing it since the 80's. One time the cable was pulled tight into the spool, making it difficult to pull out. Otherwise, I've never had an issue.
I park against a hard stop and pull the suspension down about half way.

Have any of you ever personally broken a winch or cable doing this? Or is it an urban legend?

Reactions: sharp
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've heard it said many times, that you cannot (should not) use your winch to secure the front of a wheeler/SxS when trailering, because "winches are not made for dynamic loads, therefore you will damage your winch".

I've been doing it since the 80's. One time the cable was pulled tight into the spool, making it difficult to pull out. Otherwise, I've never had an issue.

Have any of you ever personally broken a winch or cable doing this? Or is it an urban legend?
I SOMETIMES use the winch to tie the front end down IF only traveling a short distance, but never so tight as to bottom the shocks out. Never had a problem.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I've tried to find the logic in that, all I can see is that if you have a winch, let's say, 3000 lb, and you've got your buggy's springs compressed about half way, I'm guessing 500 lbs of winch power, and you go over a bump on the road, and the buggy wants to bounce, could the force on the winch go over 3000 lbs? Is that the load "they" are talking about?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s a dynamic load winches and winch ropes are not designed for a dynamic load but a slowly increasing static load.

Spend $$$ on a good set of tie downs and a few mins using them.

Forces generated by dynamic loads can be MANY times the weight of the load itself.

I don’t remember the formulas from physics, but a 200lb man (dynamic load) falling from 10’ can generate a 2000+lb shock, imagine a 2000lb SxS moving 6-12” and how much force it can put on the $200-700 winch.

Now imagine if that SxS tied to a trailer moving at 70mph behind your truck and a bad driver pulls out in front of you. That SxS is going into the cab of the tow vehicle like a 70mph 2000lb wrecking ball.

Edit: That reads very harsh but physics is a cold hearted b****, and no one needs to get hurt over a few dollars in tiedowns and a few mins each time they trailer a machine.

Last edited:
K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I am at work and thought about a fall protection demonstration truck they brought out last year and videoed the results. The guy has a 220 lb weight he drops 6 ft without a shock absorber on it. Anybody want to take a guess how many pounds that equates to?

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I am at work and thought about a fall protection demonstration truck they brought out last year and videoed the results. The guy has a 220 lb weight he drops 6 ft without a shock absorber on it. Anybody want to take a guess how many pounds that equates to?

North of 1000lbs ?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Do what you want to most people do. But using your winch to tie your ride down is a bad idea. Don't ask if you don't want to know.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Load cell showed 4796 lbs. With a shock absorber only had 745 lbs of force on the load cell. They had always told us while wearing fall protection look for something you think would hold a car.

This is exactly why people that do extreme rock climbing scared the $+#& out of me.

You can't tell me that quarter inch anchor is going to hold into that crack in the rock when you drop 4000 lb of weight on it

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s a dynamic load winches and winch ropes are not designed for a dynamic load but a slowly increasing static load.

Spend $$$ on a good set of tie downs and a few mins using them.

Forces generated by dynamic loads can be MANY times the weight of the load itself.

I don’t remember the formulas from physics, but a 200lb man (dynamic load) falling from 10’ can generate a 2000+lb shock, imagine a 2000lb SxS moving 6-12” and how much force it can put on the $200-700 winch.

Now imagine if that SxS tied to a trailer moving at 70mph behind your truck and a bad driver pulls out in front of you. That SxS is going into the cab of the tow vehicle like a 70mph 2000lb wrecking ball.

Edit: That reads very harsh but physics is a cold hearted b****, and no one needs to get hurt over a few dollars in tiedowns and a few mins each time they trailer a machine.

Couldn't have said it better. I'd never tie down with a winch and you won't convince me to try it. I do love my shock straps for securing my P1000-5.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is exactly why people that do extreme rock climbing scared the $+#& out of me.

You can't tell me that quarter inch anchor is going to hold into that crack in the rock when you drop 4000 lb of weight on it

Rope is dynamic, basically a bungee cord it’s spreads shock out over a longer time frame so instead of 5000lbs in half a second it’s 500 over 5seconds

Load cell showed 4796 lbs. With a shock absorber only had 745 lbs of force on the load cell. They had always told us while wearing fall protection look for something you think would hold a car.

I couldn’t remember the math I swag’d low.

Reactions: sharp and Vikes79
K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Rope is dynamic, basically a bungee cord it’s spreads shock out over a longer time frame so instead of 5000lbs in half a second it’s 500 over 5seconds

I couldn’t remember the math I swag’d low.
Depends on the rope. We used a lot of static rope when I was high angle rescue and confined space rescue certified. Climbers use mostly dynamic just for the shock absorption. FWIW I absolutely hated rappelling.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Straps are cheaper than winchline. Especially if the line is synthetic. If it’s steel, you run the risk of even more damage if it snaps. Like a bullet it will fly and take out other things like windows. Personally I’d say not a good idea. I over strap my machine down when trailering. I use both the Erickson’s or E Tracks and either a strap in front and or the back especially at interstate speeds. Redundancy spending now beats spending more for unforeseen damage later. Then there’s lawsuits.....or if it came off the trailer causing a manure truck to jackknife and so on...like livestock, have ye ever seen 50 cows or 100 pigs ground into the pavement? Mmmmmmm meat. Got Ketchup?....what are we talking about again?

Last edited:
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I have done it when I thought it needed to be used like on the back of my truck, but if I have good tie downs and correct positioning on them I will use them and just attach the rope loosely in the front as a fail safe.

Reactions: sharp and Vikes79
hondabob64

hondabob64

Oct 22, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
59F4B5B4 D1E8 4643 8E92 F716DEC74DAF
6C771020 7E50 43AE 8C85 0BB9C3CF5F10
I use my winch on front & my Trailer Dog on the rear. Lockable & fully secure.

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB

The 2500 warns with the plastic planetary gear. Not a good idea. Others no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hondabob64

hondabob64

Oct 22, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I use Smittybilt winches exclusively. Never a problem whatsoever.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!