lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I'm thinking the OP is not grasping the concept of an urban legend.

The winch is not designed for dynamic loads like holding a vehicle on a trailer.
Also, some of the winch brakes are not so good at this type of duty.
I have a Swisher dirt scoop on the front of my ATV.
When it is heavily loaded the bucket will unspool the winch a little when it bounces.

Winch is not made for holding up a bucket full of dirt while driving.
ATV frame is not made to handle the impact load of getting the dirt in too the bucket.
Fat old guys are not intended to use a shovel.
So I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, so i go with abusing the ATV over abusing myself.
You make your choices and live with it.

On the upside, most the guys I ride with have winches and tools and spare parts.
I haven't been left on the side of the trail yet, so there's that.

J

JTW

The winch is not designed for dynamic loads like holding a vehicle on a trailer.
When it is heavily loaded the bucket will unspool the winch a little when it bounces.

ATV frame is not made to handle the impact load of getting the dirt in too the bucket.
So I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, so i go with abusing the ATV over abusing myself.

On the upside, most the guys I ride with have winches and tools and spare parts.
Lol.. that was pretty funny!

Reactions: sharp
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

Bother Lee

I think you are helping prove the point of my OP.

The Myth goes something like: Using the winch to secure the front of the SxS onto the trailer will damage the winch.

Thus far: I've never found anyone that has damaged a winch in this way.

With the wheels against the front rail, the winch is pulling MAYBE 500 lbs. My winch is capable of 9 times that. The only additional load is acceleration. I typically don't boil the tires dragging a trailer. Braking doesn't increase the load on the winch.

Many people will use buckets and plows. Those are dynamic loads.

Finally: I am not suggesting that anyone change the way they tie down their wheeler. I was just looking for proof that winching to the trailer can/will damage a winch.

I can find a 100 guys that have had a ratchet strap break, strip or unhook (myself included). But so far..... no one has stripped a winch holding down an atv/utv. I'm just say'n......

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can find a 100 guys that have had a ratchet strap brake, strip or unhook (myself included).

Add me to the list of broken straps. Also add me to the list of unhooked straps. Also add me to the list of never hurting a wench while towing, but I've also never used the winch to tie down either. ;)

Straps/bonnets over all 4 tires and then one strap through the middle of the SxS (under the doors and over the floor boards) and also one wrapped around the bumper and the front rail of the trailer for good measure. Sure..it's overkill, but I haven't lost anything I've ever loaded and strapped down to date. :D

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Add me to the list of broken straps. Also add me to the list of unhooked straps. Also add me to the list of never hurting a wench while towing, but I've also never used the winch to tie down either. ;)

Straps/bonnets over all 4 tires and then one strap through the middle of the SxS (under the doors and over the floor boards) and also one wrapped around the bumper and the front rail of the trailer for good measure. Sure..it's overkill, but I haven't lost anything I've ever loaded and strapped down to date. :D

What he said minus the extra straps

I use 4 tire straps (1500 load weight per PAIR) they hold WAY better than straps that compressed the suspension, no matter how tight I compressed the suspension. Never had a strap break because I replace them and use straps rated for the load.

Takes me under 5 mins to load and strap down securely if I don’t store the straps in the aluminum box.

I also will not use the winch in the box to tie down with.

E-track, grade 8 bolts, steel angle for backing and to spread the load across multiple board where bolts weren’t able to go through a cross member, and tiedowns were under $150 and the best tiedown method I’ve used for vehicles ever.

I was afraid of them at first but I have had a couple of HARD emergency stops because of DAs in front of me where the trailer breaks (setup correctly for the load) actually locked up and things slid around in the tow vehicle and nothing has ever moved or come loose. Trailer is heavier than the Pioneer.

440DD100 6A13 4499 B98B 15F8B9CAE3B3

D3F6D844 4532 48AB B948 F6F80F7B78E2

2CD25EE2 CEFE 4D21 A1C3 8F589B19900E

Not trying to convince anyone to do anything differently, just what I do and why I now do it. I used to think PPE was for pussies. But after being required to were it at work, seeing how people did and didn’t get seriously injured with there was an incident. I’d rather err on the side of safety, if I can spend $20k on a machine I can spend $150 to secure safely it on a trailer

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Straps plus a loose winch cable to trailer, concept like the extra measure of trailer chains to a receiver hitch.

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB

I have 8” sides on my trailer which also has a front rail and a tip up ramp. Load bikes. Set brakes and they never move even on rough washboard roads. That being said, any time you use your winch you reduce its life. The wear and tear from attaching it to your trailer is insignificant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What he said minus the extra straps

I use 4 tire straps (1500 load weight per PAIR) they hold WAY better than straps that compressed the suspension, no matter how tight I compressed the suspension. Never had a strap break because I replace them and use straps rated for the load.
There are numerous hole/pockets to attach hooks in the FRAME, which also alleviates compressing the suspension.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You’re still compressing the suspension unless you put blocks between the frame and the trailer.
Apparently you do not understand what I meant. I am tying BELOW the suspension. Only the air in the tires is being compressed. I have done this for years, and machines always ride well and straps do not come loose as is possible when tying ABOVE the suspension.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
J

JTW

Truthfully, it all depends on what the angle of the straps are. If you have a 10ft trailer and try to tie the same way someone with a 20ft trailer does. The chances of the straps coming loose are much greater. The goal of strapping down a sxs is to keep the movement forward and rearward from occurring. If you pull the machine vertically then the suspension movement will allow the slack that drops straps. If you pull the machine laterally then that is reduced. It all depends on what you’re attaching too. The bonnets are a great option for a lot of folks because they don’t have a clue how to strap anything down. They’re also nice because they’re easy to get a consistent tie down. I don’t use them but I can’t say that I won’t ever.

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
Truthfully, it all depends on what the angle of the straps are. If you have a 10ft trailer and try to tie the same way someone with a 20ft trailer does. The chances of the straps coming loose are much greater. The goal of strapping down a sxs is to keep the movement forward and rearward from occurring. If you pull the machine vertically then the suspension movement will allow the slack that drops straps. If you pull the machine laterally then that is reduced. It all depends on what you’re attaching too. The bonnets are a great option for a lot of folks because they don’t have a clue how to strap anything down. They’re also nice because they’re easy to get a consistent tie down. I don’t use them but I can’t say that I won’t ever.

Very good point. Doesn’t really matter how you tie if your not compressing the suspension. Very common mistake in tie down.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bother Lee

I think you are helping prove the point of my OP.

The Myth goes something like: Using the winch to secure the front of the SxS onto the trailer will damage the winch.

Thus far: I've never found anyone that has damaged a winch in this way.

With the wheels against the front rail, the winch is pulling MAYBE 500 lbs. My winch is capable of 9 times that. The only additional load is acceleration. I typically don't boil the tires dragging a trailer. Braking doesn't increase the load on the winch.

Many people will use buckets and plows. Those are dynamic loads.

Finally: I am not suggesting that anyone change the way they tie down their wheeler. I was just looking for proof that winching to the trailer can/will damage a winch.

I can find a 100 guys that have had a ratchet strap break, strip or unhook (myself included). But so far..... no one has stripped a winch holding down an atv/utv. I'm just say'n......
I had a couple straps that always seemed looser at the end of the ride than the beginning - found out I was not allowing for enough of the strap to wrap over itself - read somewhere the strap needs two complete revolutions under the top layer / or something like that.

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
I had a couple straps that always seemed looser at the end of the ride than the beginning - found out I was not allowing for enough of the strap to wrap over itself - read somewhere the strap needs two complete revolutions under the top layer / or something like that.

Straps are definitely a the best option. Another good trick if your hauling on really rough roads is to drive each wheel into an old tire.

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
Very good point. Doesn’t really matter how you tie if your not compressing the suspension. Very common mistake in tie down.

That works very good in an enclosed trailer. Then no need to tie down.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@Gator this my urban myth.
You post a question about topic A (in this case using the winch to hold a SxS in a trailer) then you get answers about topic apples (you must use tire bonnets or we question you manhood (or somthing like that)).

I have seen several members use there winch, usually as a secondary hold down method. (@Hondasxs )
I don't prefer it myself but this is irrelevant as I don't have a winch on my SxS.
Personally I have only heard of one case where a vehicle came off the trailer.
The guy involved back tracked a little way and found "his" ATV in the dich on the side of the road, upright and with out damage.
Apperently it rolled off the back of the trailer, in to the dich and rolled to a stop.

I have heard of a few winch failures but no smoking gun that one thing or another was the cause (except excessive use pulling large loads).
The only catastrophic winch failure I heard of was the contactor failed on my big bosses ATV in his barn at night.
The barn and it's contents where a total loss.

And finally, in an effort to maintain my manhood, i sugest you get some tire bonnets (and leave them in your gear box while the winch holds your SxS). :rolleyes:

I really wanted to sneak in a comment about what your wench should be holding but I will leave that out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!