BOX1

P500 Myth or truth?

Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I have heard of people doing this and wonder if it’s true or not. If you have say a 26” tire, but it’s true measurements are more like 24 3/4”. You can take that tire and put 30 psi in it and leave it in the hot sun for a few hours and then let the air back out to 5psi or so and the tire will measure 26” or bigger from doing this. Just wondering is this really true or a old legend

Reactions: rocmar
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have heard of people doing this and wonder if it’s true or not. If you have say a 26” tire, but it’s true measurements are more like 24 3/4”. You can take that tire and put 30 psi in it and leave it in the hot sun for a few hours and then let the air back out to 5psi or so and the tire will measure 26” or bigger from doing this. Just wondering is this really true or a old legend

I’ve “heard” some of the bias ply tires will “stretch”, but it’s only been “posted on the internet by a friend of a friend’s dog sitter’s 3rd cousin’s taxidermist’s pool boy’s 4th ex-wife’s divorce attorney” and you know how dependable attorneys can be.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’ve “heard” some of the bias ply tires will “stretch”, but it’s only been “posted on the internet by a friend of a friend’s dog sitter’s 3rd cousin’s taxidermist’s pool boy’s 4th ex-wife’s divorce attorney” and you know how dependable attorneys can be.
I know a guy that uses that attorney.

Seriously, I've had a 4-wheeler tire develop a "bulge" in the sidewall. I blamed the bulge on leaving it parked with 30 PSI in the tire. You can try to stretch it, but be aware that too much pressure or "stretching" is unpredictable.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
if running a multiple ply or belted tire(all modern tires) this will not work unless you break the belts in the tire and that is not good. Back in the old days before modern tires you could do this.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I think...psi..determines. ..height
of tire..a 26"tire....is not 26"
...with 4psi..in it,,
most tires read true height..
....with max psi..
Max ..psi on maxxis Ceros
...is 18 psi...at 10 psi...I'm
25"

Reactions: mrjeff42 and Mudder
Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500

I wondered the same thing and was really skeptical about it.. asked the folks up here in one of my threads and the general consensus is no. I’m sure they might could stretch a tad, but nowhere near an inch or two. The best bet is to order a size taller than the target size and run psi to what rides comfortable.. at least that’s what I did. We’ll see how that works out in a few days when my tires/wheels come in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!