Need a Few Easy To Get Dimensions From A Talon Owner

W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My friend has a two seater Talon. I don't have access to it at the moment. I am trying to build a simple antenna mount so he can test out a GMRS radio. I don't want to do any hole drilling on his machine at this point. I am using stuff I have on hand in my garage.

I think I can mount aluminum flat stock to the bolt that holds the rear center of the roof. The bar would simply extend back from that bolt with an antenna mounted on the end of it. I am hoping to just attach this at the staging area prior to riding. So it's "quick and dirty". Can someone grab me a few simple measurements?

I attached an image for what I am referencing. The tip of the red arrow is the bend in the bracket holding the roof. The tip of the orange arrow is the rear end of the plastic roof.

I assume the yellow circled bolt is probably a 6 mm bolt? (10mm wrench size)?
What is the distance from the tip of the red arrow to the center of the bolt?
What is the distance from the tip of the red arrow to the tip of the orange arrow?

Thank you!

712jPK4YzaL AC SX679

Last edited:
Reactions: JenElio
Nevada Notch

Nevada Notch

Jul 3, 2021
Carson City
Why not mount the antenna to the flag pole mounting tab that is located on the right rear bar of the roll cage.

Don't quote me but I believe the hole is 1/2 inch or 12mm.

Reactions: lowranger
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
2-3/4" tip of red arrow to CL of roof bolt. The bolt looks to be 6mm but it's shouldered, so probably 1/2" hole.
11" from tip of red arrow to edge of roof

The shoulder belt bolt goes through the ROPS and is threaded 7/16" fine IIRC (it's not metric, something to do with DOT), it's 1-1/2" deep. You can see that boss here on the outside of the ROPS, centered on the prefilter and garage door window.

You can see the flag pole mounting tab Nevada Notch mentioned in this photo, right edge. below center. Its hole is 1/2" - 13 mm.

Clamps like this are readily available and some have rotating mounting holes -

Last edited:
W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you!

This is just a cobbled together option with "junk" in the garage for a temporary situation. The flag mount is an option but it places the antenna down low and there really isn't any kind of ground plane for it. Ideally I would want the antenna up higher. It is better for radio reception and a ground plane can be added which again increases performance. That ground plane and being up higher can also shield the occupants from direct RF energy...not that I honestly expect there to be an overwhelming amount in this application but why not reduce it if you can?

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thank you!

This is just a cobbled together option with "junk" in the garage for a temporary situation. The flag mount is an option but it places the antenna down low and there really isn't any kind of ground plane for it. Ideally I would want the antenna up higher. It is better for radio reception and a ground plane can be added which again increases performance. That ground plane and being up higher can also shield the occupants from direct RF energy...not that I honestly expect there to be an overwhelming amount in this application but why not reduce it if you can?

I'm curious, what are you using to create a ground plane? I don't believe the cage itself would be a very good ground plane.

Steve

Reactions: CID
W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For this? Just the alum bar itself. For my pioneer I put a small section sheet metal under the roof and mounted the antenna with an NMO. Using GMRS so I only need about 6.5" by 6.5" to make the ground plane.

Reactions: stellarpod and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!