Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Convincing. The guy selling the 1000 can't show it until after I leave for vacation. He is considering allowing me to throw down a couple bucks to hold it for me. If he agrees, I think I will put down something to at least get a look at it. Doubt I will regret the 1000.
I don’t think you will either. Get what you want so u don’t have to do it twice.

Reactions: PAoutdoor
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only bad part is IF (big if) Honda releases a true sport side by side next year (the much rumored Talon) then the market is going to get flooded with used 1000’s. I think that is the only scenario that makes you regret your choice and that is just because you could have saved some cash. Unfortunately my crystal ball is busted and the Magic 8 ball just says “we shall see”.

PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If your financing you may want to look at a base model 1000. I paid 11k for mine. Because it was new I got a very low interest rate... which made it cheaper in the end than buying used

Trying to stay away from financing if I can keep it in the 10-12k range. Is yours power steering? If not, how do you like it.

Reactions: Farmerjohn
C

Chooglin

This is my opinion

*New pioneer 500 $9,000 before tax and fees.

*power steering $550

*walker Evens shocks $1300

*front locker $430

*glove box $115 (first item you should get)

Total $11,395.00
These are items that I feel are a must buy.

These are items that you will most likely add. I won't put pricing because they vary!

Roof
Windshield
Winch (this should probably be a must buy)
Skid plates
Rear cargo
Tires and wheels

You will have well over $14k in a 500 but you could buy most items a little at a time. You can put a whole Lotta money in these 500's

Just my $.02

BTW regardless of wich machine you buy , you need to stay away from this forum , it will cost you alot of $$$$$$$$$........lol

Last edited by a moderator:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is my opinion

*power steering $550

*front locker $430

Total $11280

These are items that you will most likely add. I won't put pricing because they vary!

Roof
Windshield
Skid plates
Rear cargo

You will have well over $13k in a 500 but you could buy most items a little at a time. You can put a whole Lotta money in these 500's

Just my $.02

Tires/Rims are probably on the list somewhere too.
I almost posted something very similar.
I even started comparing keeping the P500 stock for chores and spending the "accessory/upgrade" money on a second ride altogether.
I decided that it doesn't matter what base machine is bought it probably isn't staying that way for long and deleted it all. ;)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Agree @Chooglin , spent much on P500. (Glove box was the best bang for the buck!!). Love my P500 with restricted trails here, but if that was not the case and had bigger trails, would go with 1000, especially if the DCT was as smooth as my Rancher 420 atv. Someday hope to drive a 1000 to see for myself...someday hope to have both, maybe a trade in if a Talon ever comes out. P500 - Poll- $ spent on P500 Mods or Accessories

C

Chooglin

Agree @Chooglin , spent much on P500. (Glove box was the best bang for the buck!!). Love my P500 with restricted trails here, but if that was not the case and had bigger trails, would go with 1000, especially if the DCT was as smooth as my Rancher 420 atv. Someday hope to drive a 1000 to see for myself...someday hope to have both, maybe a trade in if a Talon ever comes out. P500 - Poll- $ spent on P500 Mods or Accessories
Updated my original post :)

P

powertech

Dec 27, 2016
East Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My opinion is to go with the 1000. I’ll admit I’m a Ranger 900 owner but the Honda’s are nice units. We ride mountainous trails and there is a variety of brands. I usually am the one to keep them going. The 700’s are reliable but have no low gear. Friend has one and sometimes he has to get a little speed on step inclines but he manages. The 500’s as some have said the ride is harsh and no power. They also feel tippy due to the width of the machine. Another friend had a 500 and flopped it over and sold it due to the width. I am associated with five friends and family that have P1000’s. So far the reliability seems good. They do produce some heat but most machines will. The update is just some thin rubber flaps under and behind the seat. We also install HVAC duct bubble wrap behind the seats. You will want power steering. I bought the base Polaris and added power steering and I didn’t know what I was missing. Also a snorkel or raised intake pipe under the hood is a must. The 2018 has a better intake design but I would like to see it raised. I have seen three of the 1000’s ingest water. I was able to clean one out on the trail and the other two had to be towed and resulted in bent connecting rods in the engine. Just splashing through a creek crossing can get you into trouble. The vent lines need to be raised also if you ride in water as we do especially the rear axle. These mods are not expensive but will make a good machine live a longer life on the trails.

PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is my opinion

*power steering $550

*front locker $430

*glove box $115 (first item you should get)

Total $11,395.00

Roof
Windshield
Skid plates
Rear cargo
Tires and wheels

You will have well over $14k in a 500 but you could buy most items a little at a time. You can put a whole Lotta money in these 500's

Just my $.02

BTW regardless of wich machine you buy , you need to stay away from this forum , it will cost you alot of $$$$$$$$$........lol

Haha...great advice! Think I am sold.

PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Really appreciate all of the input. This forum is going to be great. I decided on the 1000-3. Really came down to getting behind the wheel of both of them and realizing the 500 was just too small with two kids. They usually only want to go one at a time, but I am happy to not have it be an issue. I also think I would have the same amount into the 500 quickly after adding accessories. The 1000-3 already has the windshield and hard roof. Next up will be the winch. I will post pictures towards the end of next week. Our schedules did not line up until then. Once again, thanks for the advice!

C

Chooglin

One thing I ddint mention and most will agree , if you like torque , the 500 has plenty of it. After changing to larger tires , you will lose some of it but won't be real noticeable.

C

Chooglin

Really appreciate all of the input. This forum is going to be great. I decided on the 1000-3. Really came down to getting behind the wheel of both of them and realizing the 500 was just too small with two kids. They usually only want to go one at a time, but I am happy to not have it be an issue. I also think I would have the same amount into the 500 quickly after adding accessories. The 1000-3 already has the windshield and hard roof. Next up will be the winch. I will post pictures towards the end of next week. Our schedules did not line up until then. Once again, thanks for the advice!
Congrats and looking forward to seeing you spend your money :)

Farmerjohn

Farmerjohn

Jan 12, 2018
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I really like the Base model. No regrets! Of course it’s easy for me to say because I dont have the upgraded options but I am always under the impression that simpler is better and more reliable.
Congrats on your purchase and I’m sure you realize you couldn’t of went wrong either way!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!