GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the topic of spare tires. If one wanted to carry a spare would it be best to carry the front? I have not tried but I assume the front could also be used on the back in a pinch.
Yes...fronts will work just fine on the back.

Reactions: swsebek
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ditto on the spare being a front.
The Co2 inflated are the bomb. They can be dangerous if not used properly. We used mine once this past weekend. It is a great tool. I did see tire plugs used this weekend and I will have a BUNCH in my emergency kit before the next trail ride. I have not used the small Co2 inflated would be great idea because it won' take up much room and no weight. I'm working on a regulated Co2 hose now. This would be used to reinflate to desired pressures not reseating beads.

Reactions: Landman
J

Johnny787

Jul 28, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Co2 inflated are the bomb. They can be dangerous if not used properly. We used mine once this past weekend. It is a great tool. I did see tire plugs used this weekend and I will have a BUNCH in my emergency kit before the next trail ride. I have not used the small Co2 inflated would be great idea because it won' take up much room and no weight. I'm working on a regulated Co2 hose now. This would be used to reinflate to desired pressures not reseating beads.
Do you have a link for the co2 inflator?

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I struggle believing a hole can’t be fixed with plugs. Unless it’s a blowout. I’ve used ALOT before in the same home but it held air to get back to camp... 7 plugs or less and I call that a permanent fix... lol. You saw my tires and the abuse I give that drivers side rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I struggle believing a hole can’t be fixed with plugs. Unless it’s a blowout. I’ve used ALOT before in the same home but it held air to get back to camp... 7 plugs or less and I call that a permanent fix... lol. You saw my tires and the abuse I give that drivers side rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to say you and @my99svt made a believer out of me!!

Reactions: Landman and nbomar
B

bdk437

May 11, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Searching this here I have found tons of posts concerning WHERE to get one, but not any feedback on the NEED for one.

So just curious, as I've been researching lately areas to go that I can take off on a week long, remote back country trip. Only criteria needs to be I can camp, light a fire and legal to bring a gun(s), ya know, just disappear for awhile! Guns are a must. Not looking for trouble, but always like to be prepared for it when it comes a knocking.

Anybody want to throw in a couple of places to go, that would be nice also!

My question is, how many people actually required the use of a spare tire?

Not just in a "nice to have one" situation but more concerned about the "if I didn't have one I would be walking for miles" type situation?

I always carry a plug kit, couple cans of the gooey fix-a-flat as well as an air pump.

I've personally never had a flat but just curious if any of those items would help? The situations where people needed a spare, was it because of a sidewall gash, making those items I bring useless?

I know they look really cool mounted on the back but for the kind of trip I am planning, I'm going to need every available inch for storage and supplies! Gas and water alone will take up most of my room!

Always more complicated when you have different size tires on the front and the back as on a weeklong trip I think I would want to have both if the need presents!

I own a 700-4 and for $42 in parts I welded up a swing away spare tire holder that works well. See image below.

Spare Tire

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks everyone! But honestly I was just trying to take kind of a poll to see that in a real situation how many people have actually had to use the spare, not so much the how to mechanics of it.

Even a swing away could be utilized as a swing away Jerry can holder.

I mean everyone knows it's just good common sense to have a spare. No doubt it's one of those would rather have it and not need it, then....situations.

But...I've also had a spare on every vehicle and truck I have ever owned and I cannot remember the last time I had to use it, but it's been 20+ years easily.

If 10,000 people have them and 5 are used, than there is not enough justification for me to have one. Again this is all about maximizing as much room as possible on the vehicle.

But BDK? I sure like the way it looks I mean it looks awesome!!! Like a mini CJ7 lol

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!