Need For A Spare Tire?

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Searching this here I have found tons of posts concerning WHERE to get one, but not any feedback on the NEED for one.

So just curious, as I've been researching lately areas to go that I can take off on a week long, remote back country trip. Only criteria needs to be I can camp, light a fire and legal to bring a gun(s), ya know, just disappear for awhile! Guns are a must. Not looking for trouble, but always like to be prepared for it when it comes a knocking.

Anybody want to throw in a couple of places to go, that would be nice also!

My question is, how many people actually required the use of a spare tire?

Not just in a "nice to have one" situation but more concerned about the "if I didn't have one I would be walking for miles" type situation?

I always carry a plug kit, couple cans of the gooey fix-a-flat as well as an air pump.

I've personally never had a flat but just curious if any of those items would help? The situations where people needed a spare, was it because of a sidewall gash, making those items I bring useless?

I know they look really cool mounted on the back but for the kind of trip I am planning, I'm going to need every available inch for storage and supplies! Gas and water alone will take up most of my room!

Always more complicated when you have different size tires on the front and the back as on a weeklong trip I think I would want to have both if the need presents!

Reactions: R-Lamm
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The western United States has gazillions of remote trail opportunities if you're willing to go that far. Fire restrictions vary in AZ, for example, but this time of year there would be no blanket restrictions. And you can carry your gun into wal-mart, if you like...But CO, NM, and Washington/Oregon seem to lean to the left, so I don't know about them. I wouldn't even bother with CA.

RE: Spare tire...
Well, I guess its something that, were I crossing the Sahara, I would want...but I have honestly never found a need thus far. I have a very low flat occurrence rate, so keep that in mind. In my experiance, Tires like 8 ply Roctanes are actually so stiff that they could be limped for several miles completely flat with no damage...unless you really have the machine loaded down. And maybe even then. GBC Kanati mongrels are 10 ply.
All you usually need is something to fit the front, since it usually fits the rear as well...and is a bit narrower and lighter. Maybe get a front factory/aftermarket steel and pick up a used anything in the proper size for what you are doing...just for piece of mind. Bolt it to the front bumper maybe? Hood rack for a 1000? As you said, the room is the issue...

Reactions: rocmar
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Most of the time a spare is not needed but on a recent 3 day camping trip with a group we had around 5 flats from sidewall punctures. One of the was 2 punctures in the same area one in the bead and one just above it we tried to plug it but it wouldnt hold. We had a spare we had to put on it. That tire was an 8 ply tire that had the 2 punctures

Reactions: joeymt33
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The western United States has gazillions of remote trail opportunities if you're willing to go that far. Fire restrictions vary in AZ, for example, but this time of year there would be no blanket restrictions. And you can carry your gun into wal-mart, if you like...But CO, NM, and Washington/Oregon seem to lean to the left, so I don't know about them. I wouldn't even bother with CA.

RE: Spare tire...
Well, I guess its something that, were I crossing the Sahara, I would want...but I have honestly never found a need thus far. I have a very low flat occurrence rate, so keep that in mind. In my experiance, Tires like 8 ply Roctanes are actually so stiff that they could be limped for several miles completely flat with no damage...unless you really have the machine loaded down. And maybe even then. GBC Kanati mongrels are 10 ply.
All you usually need is something to fit the front, since it usually fits the rear as well...and is a bit narrower and lighter. Maybe get a front factory/aftermarket steel and pick up a used anything in the proper size for what you are doing...just for piece of mind. Bolt it to the front bumper maybe? Hood rack for a 1000? As you said, the room is the issue...

Well said! And I am in western North Carolina. I know there a lot of places but was wondering if anyone had one of those, you know, secret kind of places that nobody really knows about ;)

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Most of the time a spare is not needed but on a recent 3 day camping trip with a group we had around 5 flats from sidewall punctures. One of the was 2 punctures in the same area one in the bead and one just above it we tried to plug it but it wouldnt hold. We had a spare we had to put on it. That tire was an 8 ply tire that had the 2 punctures

GREAT! Thanks. Just when I thought it was safe to go in the water.. lol

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here in CO., we have some of the most jagged rocky trails on the planet. I run several thousand miles each year and in the past 20 years, I've never had a situation that I needed a spare. I've had several flats but have always been able to plug it and keep going. Just run quality 8 ply tires with better sidewalls. You can also run most tires completly flat to get out if you had to.
I had a buddy pop a tire off a rim once but we were able to get it aired back up and were back on the trail in about 45 minutes. Used a strap around the outside of the tire to get the bead to seat.
The problem with carrying a heavy spare is that it raises the C.G. much higher. The last thing I want on our steep trails is a higher C.G. I try and keep my wieght as light and as low on my machines as possible.
I keep a kit similar to these for plugging and airing up my tires. Weighs less then a pound.

https://amazon.com/Stop-Go-8065-Tire-Repair/dp/B000N5TTTK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

No need to carry a heavy compressor or pump. We don't have a lot of storage space on these things as it is.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if I ever see a throw-down rim and tire for sale cheap i'll grab and throw it in the bed for longer excursions but other than that i'm not worried about it. We did 500 miles in CO this summer in a very popular SxS area and don't really remember seeing anyone limping on a flat.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen or rather been following someone who bent their rim on their wheel on a rock and it would not hold a bead. Granted this is an unusual accident to happen . I have also seen @nbomar cut tires so bad that he had to leave the group the next day and go buy new tires in a not so local store.

I think the biggest use is if you are going on a multi day trip especially at some distance (like takeover) it might make sense to bring a spare to at least leave at camp so that if something does happen you weekend/ride is not ruined

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here in CO., we have some of the most jagged rocky trails on the planet. I run several thousand miles each year and in the past 20 years, I've never had a situation that I needed a spare. I've had several flats but have always been able to plug it and keep going. Just run quality 8 ply tires with better sidewalls. You can also run most tires completly flat to get out if you had to.
I had a buddy pop a tire off a rim once but we were able to get it aired back up and were back on the trail in about 45 minutes. Used a strap around the outside of the tire to get the bead to seat.
The problem with carrying a heavy spare is that it raises the C.G. much higher. The last thing I want on our steep trails is a higher C.G. I try and keep my wieght as light and as low on my machines as possible.
I keep a kit similar to these for plugging and airing up my tires. Weighs less then a pound.

https://amazon.com/Stop-Go-8065-Tire-Repair/dp/B000N5TTTK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

No need to carry a heavy compressor or pump. We don't have a lot of storage space on these things as it is.

Sorry. Never got notification anyone was replying to this. Happens sometimes on this website!

That makes me feel REAL good because if you're not ripping up tires on sharp rocks than i'm in pretty good shape!

I have a similar plug kit but that's a really great idea with the CO2 cartridge! I'll probably still bring my pump as it doesn't take up much room but just curious does one of those things fill up a tire?

Reactions: knuckledeep
advertisement
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have seen or rather been following someone who bent their rim on their wheel on a rock and it would not hold a bead. Granted this is an unusual accident to happen . I have also seen @nbomar cut tires so bad that he had to leave the group the next day and go buy new tires in a not so local store.

I think the biggest use is if you are going on a multi day trip especially at some distance (like takeover) it might make sense to bring a spare to at least leave at camp so that if something does happen you weekend/ride is not ruined

Well my fear is being stuck 50 miles from my truck so that wouldn't work. But geez, sounds like I'm "probably" ok without one.

I have another set of four tires mounted on rims but they're different size and taller and I can't do that, pretty sure will mess up something having a diff tire on!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hmmmmm. Could take the aftermarket ones and just take one tire off of the wheel and then all I would have to do is buy a tire and could save money that way!

SFC

SFC

Apr 22, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-4
IMG 3491

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Most folks can't even change a tire let alone use the co2 bead launcher.Get yourself a spare and be on top of things.Plan for the worst case scenario.
I don't mind walking anywhere. But I'm not leaving no one behind.kids or my Machine.
Also make sure u have Sm bottle jack and a couple blocks. Keep this in crate with my winch and strap crap.
The CO2 bead fixer and inflator the guys built on here is worth getting and learning.
You will be a Hero on the trail.

Reactions: Tramguage1
U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
At the very least I would carry a decent brand of duck tape and fix a flat for those sidewall cuts. That way you can apply tape to the sidewall while pumping in fix a flat. You won’t set any speed records but at least you won’t walk home. I carry a spare, got a railroad tie my 1st time out and it couldn’t be plugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
CO2 cartridges are sold by the gram. It takes about 2, 20 gram CO2 cartridges to inflate one of these small atv type tires. With the inflater that is sold with them, it inflates your tire just like a compressor does. I carry 6-8 cartridges that are 20 grams each.

Reactions: Tramguage1
J

Johnny787

Jul 28, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the topic of spare tires. If one wanted to carry a spare would it be best to carry the front? I have not tried but I assume the front could also be used on the back in a pinch.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!