Need help getting the right tire/wheel set-up on my Talon R

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
if the stock front rims are 6.5 wide is the back rims 8.5?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Front 6.5 wide with +50mm offset.
Rear 8.0 wide with +33mm offset.
Does that make the rears 5.3" backspace?

Is 4" BS on an 8" wheel equal to 0mm offset?

That metric wheel stuff confuses the crap out of me...

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does that make the rears 5.3" backspace?

Is 4" BS on an 8" wheel equal to 0mm offset?

That metric wheel stuff confuses the crap out of me...
Yes, and Metric is easy. A "+" means the mount surface is moving out and a "-" means in. Just use the 25.4 conversion. 2.54 mm =1 inch.

+33 mm offset means the mount surface is (33/25.4) 1.3" outside of center (wheel gets sucked in towards the vehicle). Add that to 4" (half the rim width) and you get 5.3" of backspace.

-33 mm is the opposite. It means the mount surface is 1.3" inside of center pushing the wheel out making that 2.7" BS on an 8" wheel.

Easy Peasy!!!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, and Metric is easy. A "+" means the mount surface is moving out and a "-" means in. Just use the 25.4 conversion. 2.54 mm =1 inch.

+33 mm offset means the mount surface is (33/25.4) 1.3" outside of center (wheel gets sucked in towards the vehicle). Add that to 4" (half the rim width) and you get 5.3" of backspace.

-33 mm is the opposite. It means the mount surface is 1.3" inside of center pushing the wheel out making that 2.7" BS on an 8" wheel.

Easy Peasy!!!

Thanks so much for that explanation!

Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just purchased ITP Blackwater wheels and tires from my dealer. They are 30x10x15. When I asked them about a wheel spacer they recommended I not use any spacers. Does that make sense? I was sure I would need a spacer in the rear if they were all the same wheels. Dealer said no. Is that right?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just purchased ITP Blackwater wheels and tires from my dealer. They are 30x10x15. When I asked them about a wheel spacer they recommended I not use any spacers. Does that make sense? I was sure I would need a spacer in the rear if they were all the same wheels. Dealer said no. Is that right?
Dealer covering their ass. They always say no in case you lose a bearing then you cannot blame them. IF you can/should run spacers depends on several factors.

• There are bearing concerns depending on offset, what offset are the wheels? And not the X+Y offset, those are meaningless. Give me the +XXmm number.
  • Handling/stability is another factor, what type of riding will you be doing?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you use the same offset wheel on all 4 corners, your rear width will be about 3" narrower than the front. For that reason, the stock rear Talon wheels are dished, the fronts aren't. You can look at your new wheels, if all 4 have the same dish, you'll need 1-1/2" spacers on the rear to even things up - if you care, the buggy won't for the most part. I wouldn't like it but racers think nothing of a wider front.

PaulF can talk to you about mm offsets, I haven't wrapped my head around that yet.

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
We went for the first real trail ride today with the new tires and they did great!

I thought the forum might like to see a little of what northwest Arkansas looks like. These were taken at the Mill Creek ohv trail near Combs.

View attachment 286969View attachment 286970View attachment 286974
I've been on that trail. There were some muddy sections there that convinced me I needed a winch before returning. On a weekday in the spring it can be a pretty lonely place. The Talon X4 bottom just rubs on all the erosion control humps there.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've been on that trail. There were some muddy sections there that convinced me I needed a winch before returning. On a weekday in the spring it can be a pretty lonely place. The Talon X4 bottom just rubs on all the erosion control humps there.
Those water bars on that one trail are intense….

ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Those berms/water bars are just too much. Yes, I understand the need to divert water so it doesn't wash the trail out, but you really don't need a 4-5 foot steep mound of dirt to get that done.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!