Need new battery

H

hondatalonr

Feb 6, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can someone tell me the battery number for my Talon? Not looking for Honda P/N, aftermarket battery number. Thanks

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just researched this to death and back. Ended up ordering the XS Power PSX20 from UTV Source. 330cca and a 2 year warranty.

Reactions: Remington
H

hondatalonr

Feb 6, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks Have you installed the XS battery yet? Is there room for the extra height in the battery box?

rsbertsch

rsbertsch

Sep 11, 2020
Fort Mohave, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Yesterday I had to replace my battery. I purchased it at Battery+Bulbs it is a Duracell DURAGM-16-US. It has a full 2 year Warranty which is almost unheard of with most other brands of UTV batteries.

It fit perfectly in the battery box. The only thing you need to do to hook up your battery cables is to add the two included washer/spacers to give clearance for the Honda cables to connect.

It cost me with tax $128

Why would you want to buy another Yuasa Battery? Mine only lasted for 18 months and that is with using a battery tender on and off during the months it was stored in an even maintained temperature garage.

B4A718F1 9C64 4EC7 8B6D 8900DE13449A 338E9022 3FC4 41AB 8873 C3BBB8E5A268

Last edited:
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Got the XS power battery installed. Seems like a quality piece. Threaded brass terminals, stainless hardware. 330cca, 22ah, 2 year warranty. Only issue was making the Honda cable fit on the terminals. XS power send some spacers to allow for the shape of the Honda terminal ends to connect to the battery terminals but they are not quite thick enough so had to straighten the little 90º bend on the inside of the cable terminal a bit to get it to work. No big deal. Will see how it performs.

51638318545 778d228887 b

51637683988 1205bfda0a b

51637683948 d4198baeb8 b

51637471376 cb9e9c8e01 b

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got the XS power battery installed. Seems like a quality piece. Threaded brass terminals, stainless hardware. 330cca, 22ah, 2 year warranty. Only issue was making the Honda cable fit on the terminals. XS power send some spacers to allow for the shape of the Honda terminal ends to connect to the battery terminals but they are not quite thick enough so had to straighten the little 90º bend on the inside of the cable terminal a bit to get it to work. No big deal. Will see how it performs.

View attachment 302005

View attachment 302006

View attachment 302007

View attachment 302008
How long did the original battery last? What were the signs that you needed a new one - slow cranking or just preventative maintenance/caution?

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
How long did the original battery last? What were the signs that you needed a new one - slow cranking or just preventative maintenance/caution?

Little over 2 years. More preventative maintenance than anything. I've noticed on the last few rides that even though the voltage didn't look too bad it was slower cranking. I'm "that guy" when it comes to this stuff. Not taking any chances. I do keep the Talon on a maintainer when it's not being ridden.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Little over 2 years. More preventative maintenance than anything. I've noticed on the last few rides that even though the voltage didn't look too bad it was slower cranking. I'm "that guy" when it comes to this stuff. Not taking any chances. I do keep the Talon on a maintainer when it's not being ridden.
I agree, batteries are a bad place to cut corners, especially on an 'outback' vehicle (sitting in the RV in the Utah desert right now :cool: waiting for the frost to melt before doing an oil change. The miles just keep adding up when yer retired. :)) I just replaced the house batteries on my RV because they weren't quite as perky as they were just a year ago. Thanks for adding that you use a maintainer.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I agree, batteries are a bad place to cut corners, especially on an 'outback' vehicle (sitting in the RV in the Utah desert right now :cool: waiting for the frost to melt before doing an oil change. The miles just keep adding up when yer retired. :)) I just replaced the house batteries on my RV because they weren't quite as perky as they were just a year ago. Thanks for adding that you use a maintainer.
I pretty much keep maintainers on everything that sits for very long. Kind of a double edged sword though because as I'm sure you know the maintainer can mask a battery going bad. Thus the change out to be safe rather than sorry.

Reactions: CID
H

hondatalonr

Feb 6, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
when I went to put my Talon up for summer storage last spring the battery was dead. I don't use a battery tender in AZ because it is so hot. I just disconnect the neg cable for storage. All my other batteries I use tenders on with good success. My 2008 RZR 800 in Michigan had a 10 year old battery that I replaced just because it was so old..

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
when I went to put my Talon up for summer storage last spring the battery was dead. I don't use a battery tender in AZ because it is so hot. I just disconnect the neg cable for storage. All my other batteries I use tenders on with good success. My 2008 RZR 800 in Michigan had a 10 year old battery that I replaced just because it was so old..

Excessive heat (like we have here in AZ) shortens the life of a vehicle battery significantly faster than colder climates. It's not often a battery lasts more than a couple of years here compared to more than twice that when I lived on the east coast. I've had one lithium battery go bad early but the others are going strong in 4 of my bikes, my oldest is 8 years old and still going. When it comes time to replace my Talon battery I'm going with lithium.

Reactions: Stilly1155
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
What brand Lithium batteries have you used?

FWIW:
On the motorcycle site I used to visit, there was an electronics wizard that took it upon hisself to test all the new lithium batteries that were coming out. He had a sh!t tonne of test gear and what he didn’t have, he bought.

Over the years I followed that thread, EarthX and Antigravity were consistently the highest scoring batteries and usually by quite a bit. He was less than impressed with Shorai because of their deceptive AH and CCA ratings. There weren’t any standards then and since Shorai was on the leading edge and wanted to sell product, they tweaked their numbers so no one could compare them with conventional batteries. When tested like for like, they underperformed against their competitors. He also recommended never using a Shorai in cold temps, they fell flat on their face.

And that’s my $.02

Last edited:
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
What brand Lithium batteries have you used?

Antigravity, Shorai and one Tusk. My first Antigravity purchased in 2013 is still in one of my dual sport bikes, but I also had one fail in 3 years in another dual sport bike. No problems yet with the other 2, the Shorai is over 3 years old and the Tusk less than 2.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!