Dead battery, Any recommendations?

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Battery dead after 4 years, can anyone recommend a lithium battery?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Being a #oleguy and slow adapter, stock Yuasa for me. Lithium's disadvantages outweigh their advantages IMO. Their biggest draw seems to be light weight but I don't care about 6 lbs on a 1900 lb. Talon.

That being said - I was a member on a motorcycle site and an electrical wizard took it upon hisself to test every lithium battery he could find, using his knowledge and very expensive test equipment - his findings showed that Antigravity and EarthX were far and away better than their competitors. He did this for several years before losing interest in the project.

I'm too cheap frugal to spend two or three times as much for the same function.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Being a #oleguy and slow adapter, stock Yuasa for me. Lithium's disadvantages outweigh their advantages IMO. Their biggest draw seems to be light weight but I don't care about 6 lbs on a 1900 lb. Talon.

That being said - I was a member on a motorcycle site and an electrical wizard took it upon hisself to test every lithium battery he could find, using his knowledge and very expensive test equipment - his findings showed that Antigravity and EarthX were far and away better than their competitors. He did this for several years before losing interest in the project.

I'm too cheap frugal to spend two or three times as much for the same function.
im assuming then u didn't drop a $600 lithium battery in your truck as well - lol...

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I like Antigravity lithium batteries. I'm still on my original Yuasa in my Talon but when it's time to replace it I'll gladly switch to an AG lithium. I bought my first Antigravity battery 10 years ago and it's still going strong in one of my dual sport bikes.

Some good info in this thread if you haven't seen it.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I use Antigravity with there restart (and it worked the when I've ran my battery to low). I have 3 of them in our Talons and love them so far. I feel they help the electrical system on the Talon. I bought them all from Dell's and had good pricing/service from them.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I use Antigravity with there restart (and it worked the when I've ran my battery to low). I have 3 of them in our Talons and love them so far. I feel they help the electrical system on the Talon. I bought them all from Dell's and had good pricing/service from them.
How did you know you used the reserve start feature? Is it automatic or do you have to push something on the battery?

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I will try the Antigravity

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
How did you know you used the reserve start feature? Is it automatic or do you have to push something on the battery?

There's 2 ways you can do it on the Restart featured batteries. When the battery is discharged below a certain threshold (I dont know the exact voltage) it will go into a sleep mode to protect further discharge. To activate the reserve you either push the restart button on the battery, or if access is difficult/limited you can activate the reserve by momentarily touching a 12v source (a 9v battery will work) to the terminals and that will wake it up. Many people use an SAE lead to their motorsport battery, so you can either make a simple pigtail to plug in a pocket 9v battery, or buy a switched version from AG.

Video starts at restart explaination

Remote switch

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Many times lithium batteries are advertised to have huge cranking amp ratings, and they do. They can put out big amps in a massive burst, but often they don’t have the same amp hour capacity of a lead acid battery.
So they’re great for starting, but they’ll drain quickly when winching or using other high amp accessories for prolonged periods.
A hard winch, even with the engine running, might drain it to the point where clutches get unhappy.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!