BOX1

Need SHORTER P1000. Won't fit in toyhauler!

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, I'm Ericthered

I'm considering buying a Honda 1000-3 eps. My toyhauler has a 76 inch entrance, not counting the ramp angle. I'm not going to buy a new camper, so my only option is to shorten the roll cage. I'd like and my wife insists on a full cab with heat. How can I possibly cut the roll bars shorter and still find a cab kit? Not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : No, but I am looking to buy
I have owned, or currently own the following: ATV, 3-wheeler, Motorcycle
My off-road experience level is: Trail Rider
My favorite place to ride is: mountains and desert, nevada and utah

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello, I'm Ericthered

I'm considering buying a Honda 1000-3 eps. My toyhauler has a 76 inch entrance, not counting the ramp angle. I'm not going to buy a new camper, so my only option is to shorten the roll cage. I'd like and my wife insists on a full cab with heat. How can I possibly cut the roll bars shorter and still find a cab kit? Not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : No, but I am looking to buy
I have owned, or currently own the following: ATV, 3-wheeler, Motorcycle
My off-road experience level is: Trail Rider
My favorite place to ride is: mountains and desert, nevada and utah
How about a set of tires for transport like 18" instead of 27" ? That should give you 4" lower height to load and haul. PITA but have seen that solution work for people before.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not sure I want to go that route. Some trips we load and unload several times. On same idea, maybe let air out of tires?? Anybody have to do that?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Not sure I want to go that route. Some trips we load and unload several times. On same idea, maybe let air out of tires?? Anybody have to do that?
Yes they have and or compressed suspension with ratchet straps.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Welcome to the forum. Cheapest solution:)
IMG 1368

Unfortunately yes a cab kit is a pita then. We had to build our own. Windshield you can order shorter but that's it. Soft mid and rear windows still work with a little effort Like Jackal mentioned either wheels or ratchet your best bet

Last edited:
Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Same problem but with my enclosed trailer. Equipment trailer is too big, utility is to narrow. Oh well I needed an excuse to get a dual axle utility wide enough to accommodate it, and the 61" Grasshopper mower I picked up this year........

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Texas

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome to the forum. Cheapest solution:)
View attachment 57830
Unfortunately yes a cab kit is a pita then. We had to build our own. Windshield you can order shorter but that's it. Soft mid and rear windows still work with a little effort Like Jackal mentioned either wheels or ratchet your best bet
Is it possible to mount 25 or 26 inch tires on the P1000 to reduce height? And are all UTV tires rated at the pitifully low 7 psi?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Is it possible to mount 25 or 26 inch tires on the P1000 to reduce height? And are all UTV tires rated at the pitifully low 7 psi?
You could go smaller tire but you'd have to go quite a bit to gain anything because only half of the amount would be under the axle. Psi rating is only a suggestion.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You could go smaller tire but you'd have to go quite a bit to gain anything because only half of the amount would be under the axle. Psi rating is only a suggestion.
Just got back from Las Vegas. Saved $3,500 compared to prices here. Bought a new 2017 1000-3 eps for $12,999. Got in late so will try to get into toyhauler this afternoon. On initial drive from sales floor to trailer it felt like the parking brake was "on". But it doesn't have one. Is this normal stiffness because it's new? Will ride after Thanksgiving and let you know how it goes.

C

Crunch86

Apr 17, 2017
SW Florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I currently have a Thor Outlaw Class A Toyhauler and am looking at purchasing a Pioneer 1000-5, I don't see any issues with length or width, but am concerned about the height. Specs say the Honda is 76.4" tall, although it has been difficult to find in print, I measure the garage height as 72". I am seriously considering having the roll cage chopped, but is it possible to compress the suspension on a stock model enough to get it in 72", arm travel is quoted as 10"?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Find a dealer that will let you show up with your toy hauler and confirm fitment before signing on the line.
We did it the other way around. Our pioneer fitting was a term on contract.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Many on here have chopped the cage, some as much as 6” in the rear. I had to let the air out of my rear tires and use ratchet straps to compress the rear suspension. I second taking your trailer to the dealership befor you commit to buying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Crunch86

Apr 17, 2017
SW Florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Many on here have chopped the cage, some as much as 6” in the rear. I had to let the air out of my rear tires and use ratchet straps to compress the rear suspension. I second taking your trailer to the dealership befor you commit to buying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much were you able to compress the suspension ?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I currently have a Thor Outlaw Class A Toyhauler and am looking at purchasing a Pioneer 1000-5, I don't see any issues with length or width, but am concerned about the height. Specs say the Honda is 76.4" tall, although it has been difficult to find in print, I measure the garage height as 72". I am seriously considering having the roll cage chopped, but is it possible to compress the suspension on a stock model enough to get it in 72", arm travel is quoted as 10"?
Were you planning on a roof? Factory roof is probably 2-1/2 inches. The aftermarkets are shorter but still add a bit

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Does the RV have double beds that retract up to ceiling? If so, like mine, I had to remove the upper bed and its brackets so the lower bed could touch the ceiling. As for total height, as the front enters it actually drops in height as it goes onto rv floor. Then, as more body goes up it gets tight on the 72 inch opening. I have a 2017 P1000-3, so the rear roll bar isn't there. With a P1000-5 you will have to shorten the last 2 feet of the roll bar. (at rear) Like one other reader said, try it before you buy it. As for pulling down suspension I decided it was too much work. In Nevada I unload every 50 miles to go on another trail, so I'd spend most of my day farting around with the suspension.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!