Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Best Solutions for dust reduction:

1. Ride in the Rain
2. Be the first machine in the group - Impossible to avoid dust following behind other machine(s)
3. If can't be #1 and or #2 Either flip up windshield or screen Mesh and a Mid Panel
4. Follow as far back as possible to not eat dust / mud from machine in front of you.
5. Have you considered a KRX JEEP 🚙�

G

grizzly660fan

Jul 17, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure how effective the roof vent is, unless it's purely for air flow, but the way it's mounted on your machine looks like it would direct dust right on top of your head....
Yes as mentioned by the other post it does help create airflow through the cabin of the machine and does help, I just wish I had it further forward.

Reactions: Isaiah and Lady01
G

grizzly660fan

Jul 17, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to be clear, if you're riding behind someone and it's dry, it's gonna be dusty in the cab no matter what you do. Its the dust that swirls into the cab and all the cracks while you're riding alone or leading the pack that you're trying to control. I don't have a solution. I know that no windshield and no top equals no dust. When i got a top and flip up windshield, I started dusting myself out. Windshield open and its fine. I Put a mid panel on my 5 seater and cured most of my issues for the front seats. I never have rear passengers but if I did the dust would be unbearable.
The ride where I have the dirty face I am the lead machine in a group of 2. When we ride in groups we space out so you don't eat dust kicked up by the machine in front of you as much as possible.

A very good point you make.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am finally fed up with the amount of dust that gets sucked into my 1000-5 and would like to hear of things people have done to reduce it. We have the SuperATV front windshield that tips up and in the summer months that is pretty effective but we ride year round.

We also have the rear Honda windshield and I wouldn't say that helps at all. I am about to permenatly remove it because it is more hassle than anything and not working.

I added a roof vent but installed it to much in the center of the machine and wish I got it more towards the front than I did. We have the Honda plastic roof. I got one of these on Amazon a few years ago for about half the price:
Roof Vent

Looks like Rocky Mountain ATV just released a new product and I ordered one today, anyone else have one of these? Do they work?
RMATV Wing Vents

Just a little background, I have been riding ATVs, Dirt Bike and UTV's for nearly 40 years and have no expectation of staying clean like if I was in a truck with the windows rolled up and expect to get a little dirty. We had a Yamaha Rhino from 2008 - 2017 when we got the Pioneer and I put almost 15,000 miles on that Rhino and NEVER got as dusted as I do with this Pioneer and the Rhino also had a front windshield.

Picture after 100 miles in southern Utah over spring break to show how much dust I am getting.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

View attachment 266401 View attachment 266402
I used to look like that after every ride. Today we went on a group ride with 15 machines and did about 70 miles. I bet we were spaced out over ,a mile at times. I couldn’t keep the gauge panel clean, but the windshield stayed clean, I still didn’t need to wear goggles and a mask and finished without the dirt tan. The glass windshield and mid mesh panel are still helping a lot. Best of all, my wife didn’t complain. I may invite her to go along again.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are many of us members who are installing the rear mesh panel made by Coversandall. A 4 foot by 2 foot screen held to the rear ROPS may be a big help. I will have mine on in a couple days. They are cheap enough to try anyway. This pic is borrowed from another member, I used it to show in my order where to leave out the grommets.

REAR SCREEN Grommet

Last edited:
someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
that looks interesting.
can you advise mesh weight (there are several),
exact dimensions ordered as pictured and any other details that might help order the same.

thank you!

Reactions: Lady01
Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
that looks interesting.
can you advise mesh weight (there are several),
exact dimensions ordered as pictured and any other details that might help order the same.

thank you!
Information sent in message reply. Mine is 2 foot high by four foot, 5 inch wide.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are the bungees I ordered, I held up the screen and did not see a 4 inch bungee being long enough to get around the roll bar and get to the grommet 2 or so inches away. I guessed at the six inch, 25 for a cheap price so I have extras if they break.

Bungee

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the winter here I run with the Honda Two piece windshield. The dirt and gravel roads are usually damp enough to not be a big issue. In the summer I take off the top half. The lower half has the lip that turns forward that deflects the wind up enough to not blow in my face and reduces the dust. Not sure how to ever eliminate the dust.

M

MVH

Aug 29, 2018
MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most of the dust we get in the cab was coming from bottom of factory doors on our 1000-3. Went to Home Depot and bought rubber glue and copper pipe insulation (black, $2.33, 6 ft) Glued it on bottom and angled front. That was 4 years ago. Need to replace, as bushes have finally torn it up. Like night and day going across desert flats with fine dust, and cheap fix.
can you please show pictures of how you did it for this idea?

D

DSig

Mar 7, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Suggest you search this forum for the heading of P1000 Answer to Dust. Great pictures on how to close the gap on the doors, and a supplier!

Reactions: red1329
abclay

abclay

Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2021
Rome, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just creep along, enjoying the journey with a cold beer in my hand. No dust worries for me.

Reactions: Wellzy
JCBuckster

JCBuckster

Dec 7, 2020
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a C-Dory cabin boat I wondered why i was getting headaches. It was what I call the stationwagon effect. The wind from forward motion would cause turbulence behind the cabin and bring exhaust from the engine into the cabin. After closing the back door, no more headaches!
With my P-3, I ordered it with the Honda roof, and the Honda split windshield. Same thing, Utah dust rolled into the cab from behind. I installed the Honda rear bulkhead. Now, with the windshield open, the rear sliding window closed, the dust problem is vastly improved! The split windshield directs wind up under the roof and down my back that also helps with the Honda heat issue.
I am experimenting with sealing up the big gaps in the doors as I have seen dust roll in when going fast through powder dust. Like other folks have said, you cant get it all, but my setup is a big improvement, I am satisfied with it.

D

deltajp

Mar 2, 2020
Huntington Beach, CA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am finally fed up with the amount of dust that gets sucked into my 1000-5 and would like to hear of things people have done to reduce it. We have the SuperATV front windshield that tips up and in the summer months that is pretty effective but we ride year round.

We also have the rear Honda windshield and I wouldn't say that helps at all. I am about to permenatly remove it because it is more hassle than anything and not working.

I added a roof vent but installed it to much in the center of the machine and wish I got it more towards the front than I did. We have the Honda plastic roof. I got one of these on Amazon a few years ago for about half the price:
Roof Vent

Looks like Rocky Mountain ATV just released a new product and I ordered one today, anyone else have one of these? Do they work?
RMATV Wing Vents

Just a little background, I have been riding ATVs, Dirt Bike and UTV's for nearly 40 years and have no expectation of staying clean like if I was in a truck with the windows rolled up and expect to get a little dirty. We had a Yamaha Rhino from 2008 - 2017 when we got the Pioneer and I put almost 15,000 miles on that Rhino and NEVER got as dusted as I do with this Pioneer and the Rhino also had a front windshield.

Picture after 100 miles in southern Utah over spring break to show how much dust I am getting.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

View attachment 266401 View attachment 266402

20210319 160600

D

deltajp

Mar 2, 2020
Huntington Beach, CA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Instead of installing a roof vent on my Talon, I raised the whole roof on pipe nipples for a constant clean air flow and positive pressure in the cabin. I have front and rear windshields. It works pretty well. The round contraption is my air intake snorkel with a UNI filter and my idea for intake noise suppression.

Reactions: GWH
Heinecke2

Heinecke2

Nov 15, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have found most of my dust come between the bed and front seat right at the passengers left shoulder. I mostly sealed that gap with some 1/2" neoprene. Made a significant difference.

I also have my front doors weather stripped but that made almost no difference on my machine.

PXL 20210326 0446359252

Reactions: TripleB
RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We ride with the half in the front and we have one in the back it covers 95 of the back to keep the positive air inside. We tried with a full in the front first - failed
half in the front with no back window - fail
half in the front with the window in the back - success!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!