P1000 Need to reduce dust!

G

grizzly660fan

Jul 17, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am finally fed up with the amount of dust that gets sucked into my 1000-5 and would like to hear of things people have done to reduce it. We have the SuperATV front windshield that tips up and in the summer months that is pretty effective but we ride year round.

We also have the rear Honda windshield and I wouldn't say that helps at all. I am about to permenatly remove it because it is more hassle than anything and not working.

I added a roof vent but installed it to much in the center of the machine and wish I got it more towards the front than I did. We have the Honda plastic roof. I got one of these on Amazon a few years ago for about half the price:
Roof Vent

Looks like Rocky Mountain ATV just released a new product and I ordered one today, anyone else have one of these? Do they work?
RMATV Wing Vents

Just a little background, I have been riding ATVs, Dirt Bike and UTV's for nearly 40 years and have no expectation of staying clean like if I was in a truck with the windows rolled up and expect to get a little dirty. We had a Yamaha Rhino from 2008 - 2017 when we got the Pioneer and I put almost 15,000 miles on that Rhino and NEVER got as dusted as I do with this Pioneer and the Rhino also had a front windshield.

Picture after 100 miles in southern Utah over spring break to show how much dust I am getting.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Dusty Face Roof Vent

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am finally fed up with the amount of dust that gets sucked into my 1000-5 and would like to hear of things people have done to reduce it. We have the SuperATV front windshield that tips up and in the summer months that is pretty effective but we ride year round.

We also have the rear Honda windshield and I wouldn't say that helps at all. I am about to permenatly remove it because it is more hassle than anything and not working.

I added a roof vent but installed it to much in the center of the machine and wish I got it more towards the front than I did. We have the Honda plastic roof. I got one of these on Amazon a few years ago for about half the price:
Roof Vent

Looks like Rocky Mountain ATV just released a new product and I ordered one today, anyone else have one of these? Do they work?
RMATV Wing Vents

Just a little background, I have been riding ATVs, Dirt Bike and UTV's for nearly 40 years and have no expectation of staying clean like if I was in a truck with the windows rolled up and expect to get a little dirty. We had a Yamaha Rhino from 2008 - 2017 when we got the Pioneer and I put almost 15,000 miles on that Rhino and NEVER got as dusted as I do with this Pioneer and the Rhino also had a front windshield.

Picture after 100 miles in southern Utah over spring break to show how much dust I am getting.

View attachment 266401 View attachment 266402
I would remove the windshield and roof and get a mesh roof. And I think they make a mesh windshield too but I'm not sure on that

G

grizzly660fan

Jul 17, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would remove the windshield and roof and get a mesh roof. And I think they make a mesh windshield too but I'm not sure on that
Thanks for the suggestion, wife won't ride without the windshield, and the roof is also needed as our summer rides often find us in the mountains where an afternoon thunderstorm will blow in and blow out in a couple of hours.

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I have pioneer p3 1000 now.I have the Honda windshield. I've made it tip out on the bottom to allow air flow through. I also have the opening rear window and leave it open to allow the wind to blow in through the front and out through the back. I find it dustier then when I had my p2 700. I think it's due to the p1000 rear window not opening as much as what the p2 700 rear window did. On the Pioneer 700 I had made my own cab and basically the front window opened like the one on the Pionner 1000 . However the rear window on the pioneer 700 was a window from a truck which probably allowed twice the air flow through it. You can't stop the flow of air through the back or your going to get more dust accumilating

Reactions: Isaiah and Lady01
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A rear curtain has helped ours quite abit. We always have it down to keep our kids a little cleaner, so when I needed some extra room I steered away from the bed extender and built my rear rack to keep the ability to have the window closed. We have the honda curtain but the zipper on them gave up the ghost after a few months. We ended up putting some bigger zippers to fix them, but I'm still convinced the curtain is a necessity.. When the weather gets nice though we take the honda upper windshield off and that solves our dust problems.

Reactions: Isaiah and Lady01
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seriously loose the windshield and get a mesh front wind screen. You can keep the oem roof.

no need for messing around with the mid and rear panels. They just end up in the way anyway.

My wife was the same way till she rode with me on on a hot dusty day with the Honda split windshield...even with the pbr extensions it still brings in big dust.

2098075B 16D7 4875 A61E BF4CE013BEE1

I have a rouge mesh wind screen on the front and that’s it. I simply wear safety glasses or sunglasses when driving.

You will always have some dust but nothing beats having a screen or nothing on the front for heat a dust minimizing.

In the fall/winter the hard windshield comes back on.

Lochsa88

Lochsa88

Apr 13, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
dust is always a challenge. just sold our rhino, which i had dust mgt down (the best we could anyway). awaiting our new P1000-3 to arrive, and of course cant wait. On these forums seeing what new challenges and solutions lie ahead. New machine coming with Honda front and rear glass, hard top, and soft doors. Plan to ride year round, so will need enclosure (plus heater, lights, winch, plow and some other stuff). Have two buddies that have the P1000-5 camo like yours, and one of them still runs mesh. The other has glass front and rear, but says he just takes front glass off in summer. I'm with you, would like some glass, but wished maybe more venting. May have to go with half windshield - the cheaper plexy glass for summer?? We'll see

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Most of the dust we get in the cab was coming from bottom of factory doors on our 1000-3. Went to Home Depot and bought rubber glue and copper pipe insulation (black, $2.33, 6 ft) Glued it on bottom and angled front. That was 4 years ago. Need to replace, as bushes have finally torn it up. Like night and day going across desert flats with fine dust, and cheap fix.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hard to fully eliminate the dust to a minimum unless you have a full enclosure.Then your looking at a hot box. Mesh top helps alot. When my ole lady wants the windshield on, SATV flip, the soft mid panel goes one and has helped the most. So many ways mentioned here to do. Has Been an ongoing thing since the 16 when the P1K5 & 3 came out. Ive tried many different ways, lord knows ive sucked in enough dust to be called the Desert Fox in WWII. Everyone's ideas are great and let some dust in no matter what so just pic your poison lol

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Roof Vent

RMATV Wing Vents

View attachment 266401 View attachment 266402
I used to look exactly the same after rides. After reading about dust solutions from a lot of members, this is what I did. I installed a 801UTV glass windshield (it has lower vents) and a MotoRoof rear screen. I never have anyone riding in the back seats, so I decided to install it as a mid panel. Works great. Ive been on several rides since installation and the dust is probably reduced by 90%. the mid screen keeps positive pressure in the cab and the lower vents help when it gets warmer. No more need for goggles or wolf snout mask. some dust still comes in around the bottom the doors, but nearly as bad as before. I'll probably try to seal up the doors this summer when we're not riding as much.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like I said we have the rear panel because we take our kids most trips. A friend of mine has the same 1000-5 but usually doesn't have any extra passengers so he has the mid panel and it works better then mine. Alot of the dust that comes in on ours comes around the doors like ericthered said. The gap around the front door is not too bad but the gap around the lower rear doors is pretty large. With his mid panel on, his rear seats and bed are full of dust, but the front cab is pretty good. When we install our full soft doors on, we have to put a blanket or towel on the floor in the rear to keep some of the dust out, until we finally get wet weather to settle the dust. Hope you can find something that works for you.

G

grizzly660fan

Jul 17, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most of the dust we get in the cab was coming from bottom of factory doors on our 1000-3. Went to Home Depot and bought rubber glue and copper pipe insulation (black, $2.33, 6 ft) Glued it on bottom and angled front. That was 4 years ago. Need to replace, as bushes have finally torn it up. Like night and day going across desert flats with fine dust, and cheap fix.
I am looking for ways to fill in the gaps on the doors and between the bed and front seat, do you have any pictures? Trying to visualize what you have here and just don't get it.

red1329

red1329

Mar 4, 2021
central il
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hard to fully eliminate the dust to a minimum unless you have a full enclosure.Then your looking at a hot box. Mesh top helps alot. When my ole lady wants the windshield on, SATV flip, the soft mid panel goes one and has helped the most. So many ways mentioned here to do. Has Been an ongoing thing since the 16 when the P1K5 & 3 came out. Ive tried many different ways, lord knows ive sucked in enough dust to be called the Desert Fox in WWII. Everyone's ideas are great and let some dust in no matter what so just pic your poison lol
i can promise you even with a full cab you will get so much dust you cant see..
best bet is to remove the windshield like said above. even with the back panel and windshield only the dust still gets you.. when i take my windshield off you get enough fresh air to clean out the dust... the mesh windscreen may be a good option!

red1329

red1329

Mar 4, 2021
central il
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking for ways to fill in the gaps on the doors and between the bed and front seat, do you have any pictures? Trying to visualize what you have here and just don't get it.
i have spend a tone of time filling the gaps in these units... once you seal one spot you find another. its endless.. you have to remember that the Honda doesn't really have a cab.. its a roll cage with a bunch of plastics over it..

if you want to seal it up here are a few spots you need to look at..
steering wheel slot.
shifter gates.
brake pedal.
behind your but where the roll cage goes through
the doors
the motor gap between the front and back.
the glove box hole
the mt/at switch
the spot where the buckle is at between the front fender and the flare/dash
i understand you guys are not trying to keep the winter out.. so not all of these are a concern
but my point is sealing air gaps isn't going to fix the dust.. it will find a way in because you slicing through the air with a roof and windshield makes a venturi effect.

somethings that is a huge help sealing these units up those is shipping expanding foam bags..

you basically just find a cavity.. pop, mix, and let them fill in the void.. the best part is there in a bag so they can be removed without being stuck to everything.

D

DrAgon

Feb 9, 2017
BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the suggestion, wife won't ride without the windshield, and the roof is also needed as our summer rides often find us in the mountains where an afternoon thunderstorm will blow in and blow out in a couple of hours.
Put in a mid panel and seal up the cracks in the door with some sort of

D

DrAgon

Feb 9, 2017
BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
... Seal up the doors with garage door weather stripping. I have very little dust now, unless it is fairly bad I don't need to open the roof vent.

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Not sure how effective the roof vent is, unless it's purely for air flow, but the way it's mounted on your machine looks like it would direct dust right on top of your head....

D

DrAgon

Feb 9, 2017
BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure how effective the roof vent is, unless it's purely for air flow, but the way it's mounted on your machine looks like it would direct dust right on top of your head....
It pressurizes the cab so the dust doesn't roll in as much. It makes a difference for sure. I run one in the front and one in the back for when the kids are along.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just to be clear, if you're riding behind someone and it's dry, it's gonna be dusty in the cab no matter what you do. Its the dust that swirls into the cab and all the cracks while you're riding alone or leading the pack that you're trying to control. I don't have a solution. I know that no windshield and no top equals no dust. When i got a top and flip up windshield, I started dusting myself out. Windshield open and its fine. I Put a mid panel on my 5 seater and cured most of my issues for the front seats. I never have rear passengers but if I did the dust would be unbearable.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!