Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Most utv tires that I see "meet" DOT standards but are not "DOT Approved"

That is why most obtain 15" wheels and use true Vehicle/Truck/LT tires (those types are DOT tires.

I am very confident the interco sniper 920 is the only DOT approved UTV tire that I know of.
My ITP Terra Hooks say Dot compliant as long as as you run at Max operating pressure. What ever that means?

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Quick GoogleFoo produced this:

Is there a law or agency that certifies UTV tires as DOT compliant?

There is no U.S. law or regulation within the United States Federal Register that governs the street, road, or highway use/application of UTV tires in any manner. As of 2022, there is no classification, regulation, or guideline that would make or allow any UTV tire "street legal" or approved by NHTSA or DOT.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I'm thinking that a DOT approved tire must meet or exceed the standards put forth by NTHSA. I would think that a manufacturer would most undoubtedly build them to spec considering product liability. Passenger car tires are speed rated and surly DOT compliant. I don't ever remember seeing a speed rating on a SXS tire? If you've got a hot SXS that flys, I'd think you would be placing your life in jeopardy doing so on a public road. I'm thinking DOT compliancy is pretty vague.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!