P500 Needing some help

E

Eagle2011

Apr 16, 2017
Mayflower,AR
Ownership

1. 500
Hello, I'm Eagle2011

Hello I’m new into the Honda world. I’ve owned my 2016 pioneer 500 for a year now and just got to the first service. I took it out last night riding and got high centered on a stump. No biggie put it in 4wd and rocked it off. Started driving it back home and realized I was in 5th gear going 30mph and still had it in 4wd. I slowed down stopped and took the lever out of 4wd and rolled it in reverse a few feet to make sure it was out then proceeded to go home. Got it back and realized that the display still said I was in 4wd. I turned it off and back on still says it’s in 4wd. I put the lever back in 4wd and drove it around the yard a min then took it back out and drove around again still saying it’s in 4wd. I thought that maybe when I got high centered I might of hit the actuator and locked it in 4wd but I looked this morning and seen tht it’s covered with a under body plate and it is not punctured so it couldn’t be that. I dont know if it is or isn’t in 4x4. Any way to tell? Any way to get it back to normal or am I gonna need to take it to Honda? Any help on the situation is appreciated.

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : Yes
I have owned, or currently own the following: UTV
My off-road experience level is: Intermediate
My favorite place to ride is: My deer camp

C

Chooglin

I would say the 4wd selector needs adjusted or the 4wd switch indicator could be stuck.

To confirm if it truly is in 4wd , Jack up the front and rear off the ground. Turn one of the front tires and see if 4wd is Locked in!

Reactions: Eagle2011
E

Eagle2011

Apr 16, 2017
Mayflower,AR
Ownership

1. 500
I would say the 4wd selector needs adjusted or the 4wd switch indicator could be stuck.

To confirm if it truly is in 4wd , Jack up the front and rear off the ground. Turn one of the front tires and see if 4wd is Locked in!
Would you happen to know how to adjust it? Or is that something the dealership needs to do?

C

Chooglin

Would you happen to know how to adjust it? Or is that something the dealership needs to do?
I have never had to adjust mine but I am sure it's pretty simple. Probably just a lock nut and adjuster.

E

Eagle2011

Apr 16, 2017
Mayflower,AR
Ownership

1. 500
I have never had to adjust mine but I am sure it's pretty simple. Probably just a lock nut and adjuster.
Ok I’ll jack it up tomorrow and see if it goes in and out of 4wd and just go from there. Thank you for your help

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order then!

Hope you get it worked out.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
OK ! Drive it forward exactly 14 feet with the lever in 4wd . Then drive it in reverse 11 feet with the lever in 2wd . Then forward 17 feet with the lever in 2wd . The measurements are crucial ! ...........................................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Ok , if you have done this and it's still in 4wd . I have some ocean front property with a beautiful 5000 sf home for sale in Az. for only 55k !!!
Send money and I will send the lean free deed .
This is one more installment of why one shouldn't drink wine and post .
Really , I would try forward and reveres , back and forth with the selector lever in every combination possible first . If that doesn't work I would disconnect the negative battery cable for a little bit then reconnect . If none of this works ,,,take it to the dealer .

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would suggest getting your hands on a service manual before sending it to the dealer. It should have some sort of adustment listed. And if you come back and tell us how it is done, we can reference your thread in the future.

advertisement
D

Deleted member 3748

I would suggest getting your hands on a service manual before sending it to the dealer. It should have some sort of adustment listed. And if you come back and tell us how it is done, we can reference your thread in the future.
Especially since the dealer said they had no idea. o_O

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Dealers will say lots of stuff when you are not signing on the dotted line at $85 an hour to fix it.
WHAT !????! Dealer here is 125 ph !

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
OK ! Drive it forward exactly 14 feet with the lever in 4wd . Then drive it in reverse 11 feet with the lever in 2wd . Then forward 17 feet with the lever in 2wd . The measurements are crucial ! ...........................................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Ok , if you have done this and it's still in 4wd . I have some ocean front property with a beautiful 5000 sf home for sale in Az. for only 55k !!!
Send money and I will send the lean free deed .
This is one more installment of why one shouldn't drink wine and post .
Really , I would try forward and reveres , back and forth with the selector lever in every combination possible first . If that doesn't work I would disconnect the negative battery cable for a little bit then reconnect . If none of this works ,,,take it to the dealer .

This is another installment of why one should stay on their meds. :mad:

E

Eagle2011

Apr 16, 2017
Mayflower,AR
Ownership

1. 500
I talked to the service guy at the dealership and he’s seems like a pretty good ole boy. He said he remembers having one of the first pioneers coming in with that but he can’t remember what they did, he said it was something very simple which got my spirits up. I got him intrigued on the whole ordeal and he said he’s gonna make some calls tomorrow and find out a solution tomorrow morning. Hopefully it’s simple enough to do at home but I will try the unplugging the battery and seeing if maybe it will reset itself. I’ve still got it jacked up so I’ll play with it some more tomorrow. Thank you all for the advice and good laughs I’ve always heard Arizona is nice lol. I’ll post some more when I know.

E

Eagle2011

Apr 16, 2017
Mayflower,AR
Ownership

1. 500
Great news got her fixed up! Some how the wire got in a bind where it connects to the lever. Gave it a little tug and she was all fixed. Drove around the yard for awhile in 4wd then took it out and made sure it was out. Anyone else runs into this problem start at the wire and work your way down. Another thing that was mentioned is the wire may have come loose from the arm that puts it in 4wd thats located on the side of the actuator. It’s inside of a black case on the left hand side. If you follow the wire from your leve it leads right into it. If pulling the wire to make sure it isn’t in a bind don’t work try that case. The case is also where the adjuster nut is located in case you ever need to adjust the tightness.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for coming back with a solution! Good to know it was an easy fix.

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Great news got her fixed up! Some how the wire got in a bind where it connects to the lever. Gave it a little tug and she was all fixed. Drove around the yard for awhile in 4wd then took it out and made sure it was out. Anyone else runs into this problem start at the wire and work your way down. Another thing that was mentioned is the wire may have come loose from the arm that puts it in 4wd thats located on the side of the actuator. It’s inside of a black case on the left hand side. If you follow the wire from your leve it leads right into it. If pulling the wire to make sure it isn’t in a bind don’t work try that case. The case is also where the adjuster nut is located in case you ever need to adjust the tightness.
Good to hear

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!