P500 New 520 Owner Roof/Light question.

F

Flienlow

Feb 4, 2022
seattle
Ownership

1. 520
I Just picked up and new 520 last night. I don't plan to uparmor it much, but I do need lights and a roof. This vehicle will be used simply to go up and down a steep hill on our lake to deliver boat gas, people, and beer.

I was wondering if I should just go with Honda OEM roof or not?
The lights need a lot of attention, I will need rear back up light as well as front.
My goal is to find a quality simplistic solution that will work for my needs. I alos me want a windshield, but dont really "need" it yet.

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: HiFive and Buggyman
HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from west central FL. We just had a posting on "Lighting mods what's out there?" check it out and see all the different setups. As for roofs Mine came with the Honda OEM roof I like it and no problems but there again are a lot of less expensive alternatives. Enjoy your p520 they are alot of fun.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
You may upgrade to one of the 2inch receiver mounts as the factory one is very low to the ground and I have heard of people bending that part of the frame when putting in a raise/drop hitch. All the roofs out there are nice and easy to install just find what you like and what is avalible. We made a custom one from aluminum and painted it with bed liner. If you mount your lights off the roof or top roll bar Amazon has some some switch boxes that mount to bars I have used auxbeam lights from Amazon on 2 atv. 10 inch/ 72 watt and there is so much light. I even use 2 harbor frieght pods to replace my busted driving lights on my truck and they put out some light and 2 years later they still work. Keep in mind amps as the accessory plug is only good for so much power. Have at it and have fun

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
1st. Welcome from central upstate N.Y.
RED was the 1st color all other colors followed Honda hopes they sell
Proof of the saleability I now have a 2022 GRAY P520.
1/13/2022 -- 1st. Dealer I called had one on the floor next day Owned it..

Dealers in this area give 10 to 15 % off on accessories for 1 year -- to as long as YOU Still Own it. Depending on Dealer policy.

Check E-bay & Anazon.
All 3 can be purchased for the price of OEM Honda roof.
Or -- sticker shock --- easily spend a $1000.00 & up on the highergrade products out there ) Lights, Roof & Windshield.
May find mirrors handy along with the backup lights.

For summer use be sure to check out vented or tipout windshields -- Hard Coat or ( Glass doesn't scratch ) are the prefered.

Super ATV has a Tinted Roof $249.00 -- Honda Roof $382.00 List.
Led Light kit with 2 pods & 24inch lite bar .

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: Bigtee and Buggyman
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I Just picked up and new 520 last night. I don't plan to uparmor it much, but I do need lights and a roof. This vehicle will be used simply to go up and down a steep hill on our lake to deliver boat gas, people, and beer.

I was wondering if I should just go with Honda OEM roof or not?
The lights need a lot of attention, I will need rear back up light as well as front.
My goal is to find a quality simplistic solution that will work for my needs. I alos me want a windshield, but dont really "need" it yet.

Thank you in advance!
welcome from Ohio and have fun with the new ride.

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
1st. Welcome from central upstate N.Y.
RED was the 1st color all other colors followed Honda hopes they sell
Proof of the saleability I now have a 2022 GRAY P520.
1/13/2022 -- 1st. Dealer I called had one on the floor next day Owned it..

Dealers in this area give 10 to 15 % off on accessories for 1 year -- to as long as YOU Still Own it. Depending on Dealer policy.

Check E-bay & Anazon.
All 3 can be purchased for the price of OEM Honda roof.
Or -- sticker shock --- easily spend a $1000.00 & up on the highergrade products out there ) Lights, Roof & Windshield.
May find mirrors handy along with the backup lights.

For summer use be sure to check out vented or tipout windshields -- Hard Coat or ( Glass doesn't scratch ) are the prefered.

Super ATV has a Tinted Roof $249.00 -- Honda Roof $382.00 List.
Led Light kit with 2 pods & 24inch lite bar .
I gave you a 👎🏻 Just for the red remark.

• Haha
Reactions: trigger
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Congrats on your P520. My 2 cents is Honda Roof, the rear section makes for an easy mount of a rear light. My LED (Northern tool 2 pack) is snug but can flip inward for cab light or up for a wide and bright rear illumination. Used a dash switch with a 2 lead disconnect inside near the light for ease if needing to remove the roof. Installed in 2017 and no problems since.
4D677402 CE39 41A6 B9AD F3FDDB17ADADE2FC600F 5627 4ED2 B389 C9458137CC57

Reactions: trigger and HiFive
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Humor is always good !
Opinion everyone has one !
Do your research on Honda's 1st. Color --
Purchased in March 1987 a 1986 Honda 4x4 TRX350 kept that 86 350 for 14 years.
1987 same machine became the Forman TRX350 4x4 & came with Gray seat.

Last edited:
B

BB3344

Oct 7, 2021
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 520
You may upgrade to one of the 2inch receiver mounts as the factory one is very low to the ground and I have heard of people bending that part of the frame when putting in a raise/drop hitch. All the roofs out there are nice and easy to install just find what you like and what is avalible. We made a custom one from aluminum and painted it with bed liner. If you mount your lights off the roof or top roll bar Amazon has some some switch boxes that mount to bars I have used auxbeam lights from Amazon on 2 atv. 10 inch/ 72 watt and there is so much light. I even use 2 harbor frieght pods to replace my busted driving lights on my truck and they put out some light and 2 years later they still work. Keep in mind amps as the accessory plug is only good for so much power. Have at it and have fun
I agree on the 2in receiver but trying to find one has been tuff. does anyone have a connection?

Reactions: Mudder
Chevyfan396

Chevyfan396

Oct 26, 2021
Palouse, Wa
Ownership

1. 520
Honda roof, 20" lightbar up front. 14" rear lightbar in back. UTV 801 glass windshield is great if you want glass. Have seen the plastic hard coat Honda front windshield last pretty well over 6 years of brush and hard use on a P500.

20220123 152317 20220206 163241 20220206 163251

F

Flienlow

Feb 4, 2022
seattle
Ownership

1. 520
Honda roof, 20" lightbar up front. 14" rear lightbar in back. UTV 801 glass windshield is great if you want glass. Have seen the plastic hard coat Honda front windshield last pretty well over 6 years of brush and hard use on a P500.

View attachment 318002 View attachment 318003 View attachment 318004
Would you mind providing more details for your rear lights? Looks like they would work well. I am trying to find a harness that has relays that connect to the switched power to turn it on so I won't accidentally run the batteries down.
As far as the front lights, I am wondering if simple LED replacement bulbs would be good enough?
My use for this vehicle is fairly simple. Bomb around with gas cans, Tow a small trailer to carry yard waste up a hill. I might plow snow on rare occasions but doubt it. Point being I just want to keep it simple and functional.

Chevyfan396

Chevyfan396

Oct 26, 2021
Palouse, Wa
Ownership

1. 520
Would you mind providing more details for your rear lights? Looks like they would work well. I am trying to find a harness that has relays that connect to the switched power to turn it on so I won't accidentally run the batteries down.
As far as the front lights, I am wondering if simple LED replacement bulbs would be good enough?
My use for this vehicle is fairly simple. Bomb around with gas cans, Tow a small trailer to carry yard waste up a hill. I might plow snow on rare occasions but doubt it. Point being I just want to keep it simple and functional.
My rearight is a 20 dollar single row light bar from Amazon. I think the brand was zmoon. I did all or the wiring myself but there are lots of places that sell pre-made harnesses with relays and inline fuses. I drew up some mounting brackets in fusion 360 and printed them on my 3d printer. I think metal brackets could be fabricated pretty easy to the same factory holes on the box frame. I have a buddy the mounted this same light in some lower holes with a metal bracket he built.
As for headlights you can use led bulbs but most guys say they don't really project light any further. Lots of threads that can be searched for on that. I've seen some smaller light bars mounted on the front or led pods above the hood. From what I've seen the factory headlights suck and aftermarket lighting seems to be where most guys go.

Reactions: Flienlow
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The OEM sub harness should meet your power need.

Reactions: trigger
P

powerfitz

Nov 11, 2014
I had OEM roof on my 500, very nice roof until u need clearance at times. On my new 520 I bought the Extreme Metal Product plastic roof which gave me 2-3 inches of more clearance and u could mount a light up on top if needed. EMP also has an aluminum roof that would probably work well for u that your planNing on mounting a light on top. I also went with their glass windshield, I had Hondas plastic hardened surface windshield and in time it fades,scratches wasn’t happy.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!