BOX1

New Foam Buddy pre-filter from Desertcraft for the Talon OEM air filter and air box

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I’m still working on my pre filter snorkel. Building these by hand is time consuming. I’ve got the 2 seater figured out and collaborating with a 4 seat owner from this forum for that machine. There are differences. When I’m ready to sell you will be the first people to know about it.

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I’m still working on my pre filter snorkel. Building these by hand is time consuming. I’ve got the 2 seater figured out and collaborating with a 4 seat owner from this forum for that machine. There are differences. When I’m ready to sell you will be the first people to know about it.
Interested in this setup how it’s coming together do u have any pictures of a working setup and price point

Reactions: Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
yep. Similar function to all those backwards glowing uni installations. Simple and effective. Proven on the old rzr xp 900 with the panel filter.

My personal opinion is that panel filters are not the best choice for off road. Nobody else uses them. Nearly everything Donaldson makes uses a round filter. And those were used for years on dirt bikes and atvs. panels may be great for automotive but not off road ATV’s.
Not sure I understand, you’re selling the Foam Buddy but not recommending it for the Talon?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thanks slowpoke. That’s exactly what I’m saying.

I’m not sure if I’m ready to publish pics yet of my snorkel pre-filter. Mainly because other companies could beat me to the punch with full time staff to fab stuff.

After I started this project I saw that super ATV has a snorkel kit but without a filter. Their kit is a plastic with a silicone (I think) hose and it’s $260. Mine will be one piece welded aluminum tube, no coupled joints, coming out the grate area with a replacement grate cover, include and R2C filter with filter card mesh cover. All aluminum parts will be powder coated. It’s very light weight and sturdy. I haven’t calculated a price yet but it will not be less that super ATV. This thing is rather complicated and I’m still trying to figure out how to accurately reproduce copies of it.

Reactions: Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
With the recent R2C Talon air filter failures, the guys that are going back to OEM panel filters may now be more interested in this product.
Ok, that would be me. Does the Foam Buddy work with the OEM, or in place of it?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Works with the oem. It simply slides into the air box in front of the oem air filter.
But you don’t recommend it to be used on the Talon for off road?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Go to this thread for more snorkel info and some pics of the foam buddy. I also have more foam buddy pics on my website.
Snorkel link

foam buddy in place ready for the oem filter installation.
1D5FCF6E 2D42 4D00 BCCE BD123AC12555

Reactions: CID
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Guys, I’m working with manufacturers to get new products like this foam buddy out there for Honda owners. Until now desertcraft didn’t have anything available for Talon. I told them what the needs are for Honda owners and that is how foam buddy came about.

Same thing the with the pioneer 1000 air filter from R2C. I contacted them to let them know the needs to be met and they answered.

I’m working with manufacturers and distributors for you guys.

Reactions: CID and sandbaja
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I do recommend the foam buddy to be used with the oem filter. It will extend the oem filter life.

I don’t agree with Honda using panel filters for this application in the first place.
Got it. So the Foam Buddy goes in first and the OEM on top of it? Anything to extend the life of that $50.00 OEM…..🙄

Is the Foam Buddy cleanable and reusable? If so it might serve me better than the UNI I currently have….🤔

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Foam buddy is cleanable like any foam filter. It does require light oiling to be most affective just like any foam filter. Tacky filter oil is probably the best but desertcraft said standard 30 weight oil works fine too.

desertcraft claims that these filters will catch more of the fine particles before they reach the main air filter.

the main thing is foam buddy is easy enough for anyone to use it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Foam buddy is cleanable like any foam filter. It does require light oiling to be most affective just like any foam filter. Tacky filter oil is probably the best but desertcraft said standard 30 weight oil works fine too.

desertcraft claims that these filters will catch more of the fine particles before they reach the main air filter.

the main thing is foam buddy is easy enough for anyone to use it.
Ok, I’ll give it a go, just to be clear, the one you linked to in post 14 is for the Talon right? Oh, and when you send it out, I need stickers, mine are getting scratched up and need replacing….😊

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Interested in this setup how it’s coming together do u have any pictures of a working setup and price point
A working prototype for X4 with welds ground smooth is going to powder coat this week. Once I get this back I'll assemble on my machine (except for the air filter) and get some pics. This tube is about 3" longer than the X2 version so the filter won't fit under the roof for pics.

Reactions: CID
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Thanks slowpoke. That’s exactly what I’m saying.

I’m not sure if I’m ready to publish pics yet of my snorkel pre-filter. Mainly because other companies could beat me to the punch with full time staff to fab stuff.

After I started this project I saw that super ATV has a snorkel kit but without a filter. Their kit is a plastic with a silicone (I think) hose and it’s $260. Mine will be one piece welded aluminum tube, no coupled joints, coming out the grate area with a replacement grate cover, include and R2C filter with filter card mesh cover. All aluminum parts will be powder coated. It’s very light weight and sturdy. I haven’t calculated a price yet but it will not be less that super ATV. This thing is rather complicated and I’m still trying to figure out how to accurately reproduce copies of it.
Check out www.tricktools.com and fixturing tables/ accessories.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!