New Foam Buddy pre-filter from Desertcraft for the Talon OEM air filter and air box

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Brian here with 10-80 Dirt Sports. This new item is yet another option for the Talon intake that I was involved with bringing to market for Talon owners.

Talon foam buddy 1

Desertcraft of California makes some of the finest air filters I've ever seen, as long as you own a RZR or Maverick X3. They also are a very small company that has been such a pleasure to work with the last few years. They do not make a Talon air filter. However, while talking with Mr. Mark over there about a Talon filter, he came up with this Foam Buddy solution. They have been selling a similar design for RZR XP 900 for years with great results pre-filtering that OEM panel air filter. Funny story is that Mr. Mark called me on my way to the Takeover to mention this design he was working on. Then he called me on the way home from the Takeover saying that he had a prototype made and was sending it to me to try and provide feedback.

Anyway...this pre-filter design is targeting owners who want to stick with the OEM filter without snorkel or particle separator mods. The way this works is the Foam Buddy is oiled and inserted into the air box with the waffle grate you see in the pic above. The grate is to keep the oiled foam from touching the OEM air filter. Once the Foam Buddy is inserted into the air box stopping 1/4" short of being flush with the air filter mounting surface, the OEM air filter is installed and pushes the Foam Buddy the rest of the way in, edges flush where it needs to be for a good seal with the OEM air filter around the edge. Very simple! The Foam Buddy will catch a large amount of the dirt coming into the air box extending the life of the OEM air filter. Like I said they have been running these on RZRs for years with success.

I have placed a stocking order for 5 of these Foam Buddy kits to start off with and they are shipping to me today. I should have pricing by Monday. Mr. Mark told me on the phone but I forgot exactly what he said. The week of July 19 these will be ready to fullfill orders. And I will be posting better pics for the product listing. The kits will come with instructions. The Foam Buddy requires either 30 weight engine oil or you can use tacky filter oil.

Product page link for the Foam Buddy here. I'm working for you guys trying to get more and better products available for the Hondas.

Below is a pic of the prototype test unit in my Talon after only a 60 mile ride on dusty sandy National Forest trails near home. I removed my R2C air filter and installed a brand new OEM air filter specifically to test this Foam Buddy. It works as you can see by the clean OEM filter and the clean edges of the Foam Buddy.

Talon foam buddy 2

Reactions: Squeegee and TerryH
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Brian here with 10-80 Dirt Sports. This new item is yet another option for the Talon intake that I was involved with bringing to market for Talon owners.

View attachment 283675

Desertcraft of California makes some of the finest air filters I've ever seen, as long as you own a RZR or Maverick X3. They also are a very small company that has been such a pleasure to work with the last few years. They do not make a Talon air filter. However, while talking with Mr. Mark over there about a Talon filter, he came up with this Foam Buddy solution. They have been selling a similar design for RZR XP 900 for years with great results pre-filtering that OEM panel air filter. Funny story is that Mr. Mark called me on my way to the Takeover to mention this design he was working on. Then he called me on the way home from the Takeover saying that he had a prototype made and was sending it to me to try and provide feedback.

Anyway...this pre-filter design is targeting owners who want to stick with the OEM filter without snorkel or particle separator mods. The way this works is the Foam Buddy is oiled and inserted into the air box with the waffle grate you see in the pic above. The grate is to keep the oiled foam from touching the OEM air filter. Once the Foam Buddy is inserted into the air box stopping 1/4" short of being flush with the air filter mounting surface, the OEM air filter is installed and pushes the Foam Buddy the rest of the way in, edges flush where it needs to be for a good seal with the OEM air filter around the edge. Very simple! The Foam Buddy will catch a large amount of the dirt coming into the air box extending the life of the OEM air filter. Like I said they have been running these on RZRs for years with success.

I have placed a stocking order for 5 of these Foam Buddy kits to start off with and they are shipping to me today. I should have pricing by Monday. Mr. Mark told me on the phone but I forgot exactly what he said. The week of July 19 these will be ready to fullfill orders. And I will be posting better pics for the product listing. The kits will come with instructions. The Foam Buddy requires either 30 weight engine oil or you can use tacky filter oil.

Product page link for the Foam Buddy here. I'm working for you guys trying to get more and better products available for the Hondas.

Below is a pic of the prototype test unit in my Talon after only a 60 mile ride on dusty sandy National Forest trails near home. I removed my R2C air filter and installed a brand new OEM air filter specifically to test this Foam Buddy. It works as you can see by the clean OEM filter and the clean edges of the Foam Buddy.

View attachment 283679
With the ingenuity that Mr Mark has, he'll soon need a larger facility and staff! I love my R2C air filter I bought from you!

Reactions: Montecresto
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Do you need testers? I would be interested in purching a kit and installing it on my Talon. Wolud be happy to R&D one for ya.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I was the tester for the prototype and it works well to extend oem filter life.

Next week I’ll have some in stock ready to ship out. Desertcraft shipped a stock order to me Thursday. I don’t know how many dealers will carry this item. Desertcraft mostly focuses on RZR so Mr.Mark said this item will mostly be up to me to promote and sell.

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Do you need testers? I would be interested in purching a kit and installing it on my Talon. Wolud be happy to R&D one for ya.
I'm sure he would, just send the sign up fee? HA!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I was the tester for the prototype and it works well to extend oem filter life.

Next week I’ll have some in stock ready to ship out. Desertcraft shipped a stock order to me Thursday. I don’t know how many dealers will carry this item. Desertcraft mostly focuses on RZR so Mr.Mark said this item will mostly be up to me to promote and sell.
Seems the R2C is still superior to this though….🤔

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have the R2C also, but would be interested in an real lift test between the two products.
Fair enough. I’ll wait for someone to do so, I’ve been too happy with the R2C myself to want to try anything else…😎

Reactions: Tramguage1
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
With the recent R2C Talon air filter failures, the guys that are going back to OEM panel filters may now be more interested in this product. The Foam Buddy will extend the life of your OEM filter by pre-filtering the engine air inside the air box. The Foam Buddy does not replace the OEM filter so the safety is there. If anyone is interested I have the Foam Buddy available on my website here.

I only bought 5 to get started but should be able to quickly have more delivered. I've been running a pre-production test model in my Talon since mid June. After one dusty ride it proved to be very effective in pre-cleaning the air before it got to the OEM air filter. Refer to the photos in previous posts.

I've been working on a one piece aluminum pre-cleaner intake system for several weeks now and have one working prototype on my machine that is functioning as expected. Now it's a matter of making these easier to manufacture. I'm trying to create solutions guys! The ideas are coming but as a one man operation still, time is my enemy.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I haven't heard of anyone running this setup so far. It's kind of the same deal as R2C with the filter element and a clamping flange. I've not studied it very closely though.
You could see if TwinAir wants another distributor, your R2C sales could take a serious hit because of recent failures.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
With the recent R2C Talon air filter failures, the guys that are going back to OEM panel filters may now be more interested in this product. The Foam Buddy will extend the life of your OEM filter by pre-filtering the engine air inside the air box. The Foam Buddy does not replace the OEM filter so the safety is there. If anyone is interested I have the Foam Buddy available on my website here.

I only bought 5 to get started but should be able to quickly have more delivered. I've been running a pre-production test model in my Talon since mid June. After one dusty ride it proved to be very effective in pre-cleaning the air before it got to the OEM air filter. Refer to the photos in previous posts.

I've been working on a one piece aluminum pre-cleaner intake system for several weeks now and have one working prototype on my machine that is functioning as expected. Now it's a matter of making these easier to manufacture. I'm trying to create solutions guys! The ideas are coming but as a one man operation still, time is my enemy.
So this goes in before the OEM pleated filter?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
yep. Similar function to all those backwards glowing uni installations. Simple and effective. Proven on the old rzr xp 900 with the panel filter.

My personal opinion is that panel filters are not the best choice for off road. Nobody else uses them. Nearly everything Donaldson makes uses a round filter. And those were used for years on dirt bikes and atvs. panels may be great for automotive but not off road ATV’s.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!