P500 New Glass Windshield on a plastic windsheild frame.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Found the downside to glass windshield today, trailered the Pioneer about 70 miles down to camp today, to work on camp and do some riding and scouting. On the way home met an 18 wheeler in a curve on a 2 lane road and caught a rock in the windshield, not on the Pioneer, but on my 2016 Ford F-150. I'm 62 years old, been driving since I was 10 and this is the first windshield I've had taken out, except back in February when my 2013 was totaled in a head on crash. Windshield on the 500 is fine and still staying put, but now it's back to my niece's glass shop for an other windshield, this time on the truck.
Well that sucks.

Reactions: QuadMan747
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
OK, it's been almost 2 months with the glass, so far it's been great. We've had temperatures from the mid 80's to the upper 20's, 2 weeks of deer camp, lots of rough driving , frost scraping and limb slapping. The glue had held perfect so far, the glass hasn't moved at all. Nice to be able to see again.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
OK, it's been almost 2 months with the glass, so far it's been great. We've had temperatures from the mid 80's to the upper 20's, 2 weeks of deer camp, lots of rough driving , frost scraping and limb slapping. The glue had held perfect so far, the glass hasn't moved at all. Nice to be able to see again.
Good to hear. I was a bit skeptical about the adhesive sticking to the plastic with temp changes and the bouncing of trail use. Glad its holding strong.

Reactions: moparornocar
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Great idea, had a glass company make custom shower door. They cut holes for hinges. When my windshield gets bad, I will take it as a template and get an estimate for laminated glass using old mounting hardware. Don't trash old frames if this does work out.

Last edited:
Road Warrior

Road Warrior

Aug 12, 2013
Palestine, IL
Ownership

1. 700-2
Great idea, had a glass company make custom shower door. They cut holes for hinges. The first piece was slightly too big (their measurement) and they said a new piece had to be made because it was safety tempered after the cuts and holes. When my windshield gets bad, I will take it as a template and get an estimate. I'm not a glass expert, but maybe someone knows about this. From a google search..."Tempered glass, or toughened glass, is glass that has been heat-treated to make it stronger, more resistant to heat and break in a way to prevent injury. Tempered glass is used in front doors, shower stalls, fireplace doors and grates, and anywhere strong, safe glass is called for. The process for tempering glass is similar to the process for tempering steel."

Tempered glass is like a side window in your automobile. Your windshield is laminated glass - 2 pieces of glass separated by a plastic film that bonds them together. Laminated glass doesn't shatter in a million pieces when it breaks. Keep this in mind when planning a windshield. ;)

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Tempered glass is like a side window in your automobile. Your windshield is laminated glass - 2 pieces of glass separated by a plastic film that bonds them together. Laminated glass doesn't shatter in a million pieces when it breaks. Keep this in mind when planning a windshield. ;)
Good point, just saw flat laminated glass (school bus windshield type) at $22 per square foot., Tempered around $25.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This may be a great solution for me wanting to do a glass windshield on mine. I would paint the plastic black and have them cut the glass with rounded edges and have them push it all the way to the edges. I think that would work great.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
This may be a great solution for me wanting to do a glass windshield on mine. I would paint the plastic black and have them cut the glass with rounded edges and have them push it all the way to the edges. I think that would work great.
Worth a try on an estimate. Let us know if it works out.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Found the downside to glass windshield today, trailered the Pioneer about 70 miles down to camp today, to work on camp and do some riding and scouting. On the way home met an 18 wheeler in a curve on a 2 lane road and caught a rock in the windshield, not on the Pioneer, but on my 2016 Ford F-150. I'm 62 years old, been driving since I was 10 and this is the first windshield I've had taken out, except back in February when my 2013 was totaled in a head on crash. Windshield on the 500 is fine and still staying put, but now it's back to my niece's glass shop for an other windshield, this time on the truck.

My condolences for having to drive a Ford pickup :D

Reactions: Shadesmn
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My condolences for having to drive a Ford pickup :D
As a bona fide dodge guy, I'll tell you I drove my buddys 2016 f150 3.5 Ecoboost. I'd take it over a new ram, that thing is an absolute pleasure to drive. And he tows a 33 ft 5th wheel with it, tows it better than my 2010 ram would have. At least it's not a Nissan!

QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
As a bona fide dodge guy, I'll tell you I drove my buddys 2016 f150 3.5 Ecoboost. I'd take it over a new ram, that thing is an absolute pleasure to drive. And he tows a 33 ft 5th wheel with it, tows it better than my 2010 ram would have. At least it's not a Nissan!
double ouch, I thought I saw a Nissan steering wheel in one of CP's pictures. I would hope it's at least Cummins powered ;)

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Joke about Fords all you want, on the 23d of February of this year I was sitting still in a turning lane of a major highway near my home. I was in my 2013 Ford F150 when a 3/4 ton truck, estimated to be going between 60 and 70mph, came across the center line and hit me head on. Knocked my truck 210 feet, took emergency folks an hour and a half to cut me out of it. I came out with a broken leg and 4 broke ribs on my right side and 2 on the left. I believe in the grace of God, Ford trucks and airbags/seatbelts, in that order.

I'm still in the truck in this picture, the one on the flat bed is the 2008 Ford F250 that hit me.

Truck20crash20 zpsmajlnefv

Pictures at the salvage yard the next day, when my son and SIL went to clean out the truck they had to borrow a pry bar to open the console because the dash was pushed back into it so far.

IMG 2910 zpsu0ujtl6e

IMG 2909 zpsxea7pb47

IMG 2902 zps1ekhw94e

This happened at 7:50 on a Tuesday morning and the guy that hit me got a DWI, of course he walked away with nothing but a few bruises.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Yikes. Glad to hear you came out of that with your life. I'm not a ford fan myself, but i dont care what you're in in that crash, its a miracle to walk away from.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Glad you are Ok. Looks like how I felt when a deer hit my motorcycle. Any airbag issues?..

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.

I bet the Nissan's aren't a product of Mexico anyway, like all of the Big 3 products. ;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have a Pathfinder for the wife, I'm almost positive it states assembled in Ga on the drivers side window.
We still refer to them as "automobile manufacturers" even though sense the 1930's, they've just been assemblers largely.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Glad you are Ok. Looks like how I felt when a deer hit my motorcycle. Any airbag issues?..
I didn't know it had so many airbags, they came out of the steering wheel, above the doors out of the back of the seats. When the truck landed, it was on the drivers side, no one could see in and I couldn't see out for all the airbags hanging over the windows like curtains. Didn't have any issues with the bags, seat belt broke some ribs, but I figure the seat belt and air bags saved my life, that and the engineering design of the cab. The cage around the cab held up remarkably well for the hit it took. The front bumper of the other truck almost came into the cab with me, it stopped at the front door post on the drivers side. All in all, I feel very lucky to have got out of it alive.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!