P500 New Glass Windshield on a plastic windsheild frame.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
OK, thought I'd update the glass windshield, in an old plastic windshield frame, project. It's been 5 months since I mounted the windshield on the 500 and it is still doing great. The glass is staying exactly where it was glued to the old plastic windshield, the glass still hasn't moved at all. I've watched it close and was going to add some kind of hold down clamps or something if it moved, but now I don't think it will need anything. The new windshield glue ,for cars and trucks, is some good stuff. Not worrying about scratching up the windshield is great, being able to actually see out of my windshield is even better.

Reactions: Mudder
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bet the Nissan's aren't a product of Mexico anyway, like all of the Big 3 products. ;)

Every one of my recent Chevys have crossed the RioGrande, most of the fleet Fords we have at work are Canadian made.

D

Deleted member 3748

Found the downside to glass windshield today, trailered the Pioneer about 70 miles down to camp today, to work on camp and do some riding and scouting. On the way home met an 18 wheeler in a curve on a 2 lane road and caught a rock in the windshield, not on the Pioneer, but on my 2016 Ford F-150. I'm 62 years old, been driving since I was 10 and this is the first windshield I've had taken out, except back in February when my 2013 was totaled in a head on crash. Windshield on the 500 is fine and still staying put, but now it's back to my niece's glass shop for an other windshield, this time on the truck.
If that was your first windshield taken out by a rock you have been lucky. 62 y/o and 1 windshield is a good run. :)

D

Deleted member 3748

Not F150s, we have some Edge SUVs we run service with.

They're CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP Fleet versions.

E-350, Escape, F-250/350s we've got are are all American "assembled"
Got it. I'm always in truck mode with this group. :)

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
E-350, Escape, F-250/350s we've got are are all American "assembled"

To say "made in America" all major components have to be made in America.
Rubber parts like tires are labor intensive and come out of south east Asia.
A lot of forged parts (aluminum wheels on my Chevy truck) come out of the old Soviet block countries, they have old world industrial infrastructure and cheap labor.
Lots of high tech parts like EPS or shockabsorbers have manufacturing lines designed in the US and moved to Mexico, they have the tech support they need close by but cheap labor.
(See the trend?)

Its really hard to have something as big and complex as a vehicle and still get all the parts from the USA.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At one time the Accord and TL were the most American MADE cars not sure if that's still true.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's sad!

Reliability is reflective of where they are made and assembled. Moving production overseas has limited QC and decreased cost and time to produce. Also low bid has limited the quality parts in some vehicles. The 2014 Silverado has a RandMcNally GPS in to it. If I try to go from Birmingham, Al to and address in Huntsville, Al it tells me to go to the Alabama/Mississippi line first(google it)

430498bf76533ff8cce941f2506e07b8

Chevy (among others)has been pulling every quality part out to make an extra penny of profit.

Instead of selling the customer on quality and making a ok looking solid dependable product. The have designed a very good looking product, with lots of shinty bells and widgets, that has mediocre quality. Which they won't service.

1f6b8eb5069a6443daa0d7b4e6126f33

Reactions: rocmar and joeymt33
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
OK, it's been a year since I had the middle of the Honda windshield cut out and the piece of flat windshield glass glued in with the black glue installers now use on car and truck windshields. I am pleased and a little surprised that the glue has held perfectly. I was really keeping an eye on the glass and was ready to add some sort of hold down brackets or clamps at the first sign of any movement, but now I'm convinced it'll be just fine like it is. If you've got a scratched up plastic windshield, instead of junking it, you might want to consider this fix. Nothing beats looking through real glass.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
OK, it's been a year since I had the middle of the Honda windshield cut out and the piece of flat windshield glass glued in with the black glue installers now use on car and truck windshields. I am pleased and a little surprised that the glue has held perfectly. I was really keeping an eye on the glass and was ready to add some sort of hold down brackets or clamps at the first sign of any movement, but now I'm convinced it'll be just fine like it is. If you've got a scratched up plastic windshield, instead of junking it, you might want to consider this fix. Nothing beats looking through real glass.
That's cool, glad it's worked out for you. My hard coat has zero scratches and I ride through the nastiest tight brushy trails.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
That's cool, glad it's worked out for you. My hard coat has zero scratches and I ride through the nastiest tight brushy trails.

I'm considering pulling the trigger on a full windshield. The ride across the Mackinac Bridge was a bit cool and breezy and it would've been nice to have. Got my eye on the flip up Super ATV one...any thoughts? Probably won't have it on very much but when you need it you need it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm considering pulling the trigger on a full windshield. The ride across the Mackinac Bridge was a bit cool and breezy and it would've been nice to have. Got my eye on the flip up Super ATV one...any thoughts? Probably won't have it on very much but when you need it you need it.
I'm pretty sure I've seen you post recently that you were done, thru with mods and money on the P5. :D It's ok, I'm sure I've said that before too, lol. So I have the flip up on my P7 and I don't like that it rattles where the two sections meet. I had to add foam rubber to the scant factory piece to quiet it, doesn't look that good. I have the solid front SuperATV windshield on my P5 and I love it!

Reactions: trigger
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Best I can tell the problems I had with the Honda windshield wasn't that it got scratched brush busting, I did plenty off that and didn't get anything but a few minor scratches that I could have lived with. It was that I ruined it by cleaning it improperly. According to the manufacturer's instructions, that I never saw or read until I looked them up online after the fact. What they say is this:

No chemical cleaners, water or water and a mild soap only and no rubbing until rinsed off with water only, especially no alcohol or ammonia containing products, no windex type cleaners as they can cause the windshield to cloud up. No paper products for washing or wiping as they will scratch the windshield, best is to use your hand and clean water or a good quality chamois cloth.

I had used paper towels and windex to clean mine at times, I didn't get the clouding they warned about, but I did get hundreds of tiny scratches that you couldn't see unless you were driving into the sun. I finished it off while returning from a hunting trip in Colorado and washing the windshield off with a squeegee at a truck stop. The windshield was covered with road grim and mud. While cleaning the truck windows, the 500 got scrubbed off, too. I might as well have used sandpaper. After that there was no seeing through the windshield while driving into the sun. Instead of paying another $400 for a new one, I tried this. Hopefully others can learn from my mistakes and keep their plastic windshields in good shape, but if you have one that is scratched up, instead of throwing it out you might want to try this, too.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Best I can tell the problems I had with the Honda windshield wasn't that it got scratched brush busting, I did plenty off that and didn't get anything but a few minor scratches that I could have lived with. It was that I ruined it by cleaning it improperly. According to the manufacturer's instructions, that I never saw or read until I looked them up online after the fact. What they say is this:

No chemical cleaners, water or water and a mild soap only and no rubbing until rinsed off with water only, especially no alcohol or ammonia containing products, no windex type cleaners as they can cause the windshield to cloud up. No paper products for washing or wiping as they will scratch the windshield, best is to use your hand and clean water or a good quality chamois cloth.

I had used paper towels and windex to clean mine at times, I didn't get the clouding they warned about, but I did get hundreds of tiny scratches that you couldn't see unless you were driving into the sun. I finished it off while returning from a hunting trip in Colorado and washing the windshield off with a squeegee at a truck stop. The windshield was covered with road grim and mud. While cleaning the truck windows, the 500 got scrubbed off, too. I might as well have used sandpaper. After that there was no seeing through the windshield while driving into the sun. Instead of paying another $400 for a new one, I tried this. Hopefully others can learn from my mistakes and keep their plastic windshields in good shape, but if you have one that is scratched up, instead of throwing it out you might want to try this, too.
Oh yeah, improper cleaning. I once watched a guy use an ice scraper on his in winter. With glass that wouldn't be a problem either would it.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Good info, thanks Sam!

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Micro fiber cloth...Is wat my instructions said
....Glass is best...but spendy..
will keep your idea...in mind
thanks

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I have one on my trigger. Grant it I am a newbie here and have not had it long...but so far I really do like it a lot. Here is SC at this time of year...You can wake up and it is cold and then by lunch it is burning up. So having the option of opening and closing is perfect all around. The squeaky noise mentioned was an issue with mine after a few rides as well...but I sprayed some stuff on the sections that rubbed and have not had any issue at all. Also, as I am sure you would do anyway...added some thin rubber on the clamps where hooked to the bar. Just makes it aggravating if you are wanting to get into your hood space. But then again...I have seen where a guy on here altered his to make a pivoting bottom pieces that could swing up by only removing two wing nuts. Like that concept but have not gotten around to try it and voice my opinion on that one.

But bottom line...DEF helps with dust and cold wind for sure. And nice to just flip up to get some breeze when needed. Can be squeaky...but that can be eliminated as well with some little touch ups.

Good luck on your decision!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!