P500 New goodies delivered today

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I got home to find my power steering and skid plates. Just waiting on my locker to show up and then I see a fun weekend in my future!

I'm working hard to get my P520 ready for some of the organized rides that I have seen on the forums. I know the parts are likely not required to go on the trips, but I like being just a bit over prepared.

20220303 002842401 iOS

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I got my locker in the mail last night. Still debating if I want to swap shocks at the same time. But that requires me ordering some.

Anyone know of a place I can get some Elka Stage 1 shocks that might be in stock? I've gone back and forth trying to justify getting stage 3, and in the end, I doubt that I will ever touch the shocks rebound or compression. I have a very expensive mountain bike that has a ton of adjustments to both the front and rear shocks. I set them once and have not touched them at all with the exception of additional air and the occasional lockout.. And I put roughly 1,700-2,200 miles on that each year. Way more than my SXS.

Rob

Reactions: Mudder
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Did my locker a while back, but I seem to remember, you only have to disconnect the lower a-arm on the drivers side to swing it out a bit. Don't have to tear the whole front end apart.

Locker can then wiggle around a bit towards the drivers side, then pop out forward.

Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Did my locker a while back, but I seem to remember, you only have to disconnect the lower a-arm on the drivers side to swing it out a bit. Don't have to tear the whole front end apart.

Locker can then wiggle around a bit towards the drivers side, then pop out forward.
Thanks! I haven't even had a chance to look at the instructions yet. I did get it out of the box just to show my wife. When I told her I got a locker for my SXS, she thought I meant something like a locker at a high school. I had to explain it was a traction aiding device that locks the open differential gears together... I can see how she made that mistake as I'm sure she knows nothing about lockers.

Rob

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks! I haven't even had a chance to look at the instructions yet. I did get it out of the box just to show my wife. When I told her I got a locker for my SXS, she thought I meant something like a locker at a high school. I had to explain it was a traction aiding device that locks the open differential gears together... I can see how she made that mistake as I'm sure she knows nothing about lockers.

Rob
Hehe, yeah the locker in the p5 is kind of like "Look honey, my front end locker is here! Now I can climb trees and cliffs and stuff with it! Won't that be fun?"

Re: installation it is pretty simple more or less, but doing it this way is harder and easier at the same time, lol. Less to tear apart, but more wiggling and cursing. Couple of good threads on the forums here about the install.
I'm about to leave the house for the rest of the afternoon, if nobody else has posted the link for it by the time I get back, I can dig it up for ya later on tonight.

Reactions: Splorin
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Huh... cant find the post I was using before for the locker install. Tried a search, but there's about 1.5 million posts about it apparently, lol.
Anyways, great tips from @Mudder here: torq locker install tips
Looks like I may have had to remove the shock and the lower A-arm from the drivers side, but I know I left the pass wheel alone.
Biggest tips, the 4wd sensor is a pull-off, not a twisty, and make sure you have a *good* pin punch, I went through 2 crappy harbor freight ones, they just kept bending.

Also, recommend watching a couple youtube vids about it, dont have to go exactly like how they did, but it's a nice watch:
Jay has 3 or 4 vids about it:
and here's some more good ones from this guy:

It's really not too hard, watch a few vids, flip through the install manual for a couple minutes. Couple hours if your handy, half a day if you're not. No worries.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thank you! I’m excited to get this done.

Rob

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!