P1000 New Honda Signature Split Windshield

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
This thread is great. I have the same windshield and I do not like it opened for what others have said and all the air diverts way up cause all you have to do is reach up and feel where it's moving. I removed the bottom piece and wow lots of air and no dust or bugs but someone riding with me says no,,, too much air and what if it rains.

Reactions: Lady01 and BWAF
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought that was for the lower part of the windshield that folds out after the mod was made... Did u remove the top half

No removal of either top or bottom. When the bottom windshield is pitched out, the center wants to sag. The strengthening bracket, or strut, takes out the sag making it straight across. At the same time it contacts the UPPER windshield and prevents it from bowing and vibrating in at high speed.

I'm telling you, it's like Honda had this design in mind when they fab'd up the parts but someone was dyslexic ...LOL

Be SUPER careful marking and drilling holes in your $600 windshield, but other than that, there's nothing to it. If you don't like it, go back to OEM and with a couple little black plugs, no one is the wiser.

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No removal of either top or bottom. When the bottom windshield is pitched out, the center wants to sag. The strengthening bracket, or strut, takes out the sag making it straight across. At the same time it contacts the UPPER windshield and prevents it from bowing and vibrating in at high speed.

I'm telling you, it's like Honda had this design in mind when they fab'd up the parts but someone was dyslexic ...LOL

Be SUPER careful marking and drilling holes in your $600 windshield, but other than that, there's nothing to it. If you don't like it, go back to OEM and with a couple little black plugs, no one is the wiser.
This would have been great but I already mounted extra lights in the way... just removing the bottom will work for Summer I think

M

MikeCarney

May 17, 2018
Northern California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mike, I fabricated the center support from 1/4"x1" flat aluminium. Used a plastic handle off a small donor ball valve (pulled it off), and painted the bracket with wrinkle paint. The bracket has a slight bend and a 8mm hole and used a plastic knob on a 6m bolt to attach it to the center support on the dash. When the screen is down, the bolt and knob screw back in the same center hole on the lower windscreen to hold it secure.

This should'a been the way this windshield came from Honda...

If you need more or better photos, just let me know.

Paul
Hello Paul,

I am finally getting around to switching my brackets around on this windshield. Quick question: Did you drill the same size holes as the original ones and put new rubber grommets or did you only drill the new holes big enough for the bolt to go through without using the rubber grommets? After I removed the grommets, I noticed the holes were oval.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, I drilled small holes and used flat washer and a rubber washer under the flat washer. I got some small black plugs to fill the holes left in the large ones. I got the rubber washers from ACE hardware in the section that has all the pull out drawers.

I wasn't gonna mess creating oval holes...

We did an 80 miler this last weekend and with the bed mat in the front had very little dust. With the kids in the back and the seats set-up there was still a bit of dust upon occasion. Way better in any event...But there is just a s*it ton of holes in the back of these rigs...

M

MikeCarney

May 17, 2018
Northern California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, I drilled small holes and used flat washer and a rubber washer under the flat washer. I got some small black plugs to fill the holes left in the large ones. I got the rubber washers from ACE hardware in the section that has all the pull out drawers.

I wasn't gonna mess creating oval holes...

We did an 80 miler this last weekend and with the bed mat in the front had very little dust. With the kids in the back and the seats set-up there was still a bit of dust upon occasion. Way better in any event...But there is just a s*it ton of holes in the back of these rigs...
Great! Thank you Sir! I appreciate the info! Do you have a mid panel? A buddy of mine has the soft mid panel and a solid windshield. He swears the mid panel cuts the dust down immensely. I was wondering if it would be even better if he had a split windshield like ours. I am considering giving that mid panel a try as well.

Reactions: Lady01
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just have the rear panel but I've often tough a MID-panel would be the final solution to the dust in in the cab...I bet it would. As for the dang rear passengers...I just don't know. I'm thinking they just have to live with it...and some of it still gets sucked forward to the cab when the seats are up. In the 3 seat configuration, bed down with a bed liner and the windshield mod, dust is really not an issue.

Manshoon

Manshoon

Jul 5, 2016
Eastern Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Do not currently own
Man you have to love the ingenuity of people with vision. I am going to have to try this on my own rig. I debated going with the full flip up windshield I had on my Yamaha Viking, but opted for the stock Honda stuff shown here. Wonderful Modifications that Honda should take notice of, if you haven't already forwarded the thread to them you should.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Great mod! I will consider doing this to our 1k3 for
better ventilation during hot weather. And I can also
vouch that the mid panel cuts the dust way down
in our 1k3. The windshield (or the mid panel, if you
have one), creates a low pressure area behind it, which
whips the air/wind/dust, in behind it. So a mid panel
can really help with dust for anyone riding in the front
seat, for anyone who wants to add one. With the wind-
shield vented, it creates positive pressure in the cabin,
and negates the low pressure behind it keep the dust
from whipping around behind it. For 1k5 owners with
riders in the back, I would think a rear panel would
give you similar gains.

I am preaching to the choir, I suppose, but sometimes,
I need things spelled out pretty plain. I hope this helps
someone.

Edit to add: Sorry for reviving an old thread. I don't know
how I stumbled into this one...

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this is an old thread, but DANG I just wanted to add my THANK YOU to Plongson for posting this!! I WILL be doing this! Down here in SE Texas, we only need that windshield in the Winter so most of the time it's in the barn hanging from the rafters... I hate using it if it's dry because the dust is terrible. I have a fabric/clear plastic rear screen and that helps, but still hate to go through all that! This will solve my problem completely! OP, you are right even at sea level when it's 40 degrees out and that rain starts coming down, it makes you want to just sit and wait it out rather than drive through it!!
Thanks again!

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
Youngster

Youngster

May 11, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the factory Split Windshield on my Pioneer. I have had it for 5 years now and it has gone opaque on me. No matter how I clean it you cannot remove the fading which makes it hard to see out of. I am extremely disappointed.

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!